PDA

View Full Version : ORS ??

pembroke
16th Jan 2011, 09:36
Just received, via defunct e mail account, details the new CAA Information notice, which is intended to replace many of the previous notice titles such as FODCOM, ATSIN and NOTEX "et al". A few points.
This will be a "subscription service" and I thought that would mean a payment for what is essential safety material. Apparently not, so perhaps it should be called a "registration service"
Why wasn't this sent by mail to licence holders, at least for this initial change?
Finally, and only the CAA could do this, why do we now have two meanings for "ORS"? ORS (offcial record series) is the dark art that seems to be part of civil service speak but never explained by the CAA. Presumably ORS remains alongside AIC and NOTAM and not buried in the new info. notices.
BUT LASORS 2010 defines ORS as "operating requirements and safety". !!
Good flying to all and happy new year,(FI/FE)

Whopity
16th Jan 2011, 14:15
The same notice arrived amongst a bundle of 15 PDFs which include Notexes for the Examiners Manual. The Manual is an A5 binder with 4 hole fixing, the PDFs are formatted in A4 and I doubt that any examiner has a matching hole punch to perforate them. Perhaps we are not meant to put them in the manual because the email concludes: Before Printing consider the environment. Surely it is the use of paper that poses an environmental problem, not the printing. 2 A5 pages will fit 1 A4 page using only half as much paper!

LASORS could have been:
Basic
Requirements for
Instructors
Standardis
Training
Organisations
Licensing and
Safety
leaving the ORS free!

BEagle
17th Jan 2011, 14:24
Whopity, they also sent those documents with security settings preventing them from being assembled into 1 document, then printing it 2 pages per A4 sheet and folding them back-to-back in A5 polypropylene pockets to clip into the FEH binder.

I tried assembling a document by Ctrl+Print Scr, but the result looked dreadful.

So I will ask for the wretched things to be at least re-formatted into a single document so that they can be printed 2 pages per A4 sheet.

But how typical that no-one has proofed this daft way of sending such things out!

ifitaintboeing
17th Jan 2011, 19:12
I really don't know why the CAA bother 'locking' these documents, 'cos there's nothing really to protect. LASORS is the same.

I'm told there are tools out there which will let you copy and paste and snapshot onto one page... David R. Heffelfinger's Ensode.net - Free PDF Unlock Online Utility (Beta) (http://www.ensode.net/pdf-crack.jsf)

The other option is to print as 2-per-page in your printer advanced options.

[Non-payment!] Subscription service is available on CAA Subscriptions | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/subscriptions) for those who don't receive these notices yet.

ifitaint....

hugh flung_dung
20th Jan 2011, 18:28
I received a few NOTEXs (A1-H1/2010 to A6-H6/2010) in the old-fashioned mail today but haven't been sent anything electronically - what have I missed?

HFD

(Edited to say: I thought I was subscribed to everything of interest, I'll check)