PDA

View Full Version : A320 audible difference between CFM56 and IAE2500?

GarageYears
14th Jan 2011, 19:52
Could anyone with experience on the A320 comment on whether there is an audible difference between aircraft fitted with CFM56 engines (any and all versions) versus IAE2500 (and variants thereof). Particularly during ground ops, including start and reverser sound, or any other signature sounds during flight.

Additionally, if anyone has experienced a compressor stall I'd particularly like to hear about your impressions of what was heard from the cockpit (and no, what you heard in the sim is of no interest to me - only the real deal).

Thanks, GY :8

mono
15th Jan 2011, 15:19
During start the V2500 has a buzz saw like sound as the blade tips go near supersonic. I'm guessing the fan spins faster in this than the CFM cos it doesn't make the same sound. Start on the V2500 is a long affair (not the A5) to gently wind up the donk due to rotor bow issues. They somehow sorted it for the A5 but I don't know how.

pullup hard
16th Jan 2011, 09:09
Hej Mono,
What is the A5 you're talking about? Any mod update on IAE2500 and would all latest IAE2500's have this mod?
Thx,
PUH

PENKO
16th Jan 2011, 17:37
To me the most notable difference in sound is on takeoff. With the IAE's there seems to be much more vibration, shaking and whining the first few seconds after setting takeoff power. Quite distracting the first few takeoffs if you are used to CFM's.

GarageYears
18th Jan 2011, 15:54
Thanks for the inputs so far.

Anyone have a tales related to the second point of my post - compressor stall sounds?

- GY

Jonty
18th Jan 2011, 16:46
PUH,
There are 2 versions of the V2500 in use at the moment. the A1 (don't think they make this anymore) and the A5. The A1 was the early version is has "bump thrust" and sounds like its about to explode at TOGA thrust. It also takes well over a minute to start each engine, as they need 50 seconds dry crank to stop the rotors from bowing and the engine exploding. (just kidding)

The A5 does not have "Bump Thrust" and is a higher power version. It also starts quicker as it doesn't need the 50 seconds dry crank. It sounds fine at TOGA thrust.