PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted

Fishtailed
14th Jan 2011, 12:46
Can anyone identify this piece of alluminium, fished out of the sea off North Pier, Blackpool. To me it's obviously an aircraft part, possibly a rib from a control surface or trim tab. It's 22SWG, 5 inches long by 2 deep. Although deformed, the rivet holes do not appear to be pulled.There is no part number on it as I can see. The finder thought it could be off the Tornado that went in but I think not, it looks more like a light aircraft part. Has anyone any ideas, (or knows a man who may have).

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/fishtailed/frank2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/fishtailed/Frank1.jpg

onetrack
14th Jan 2011, 12:49
My God... I never, for one moment, imagined that Amelia Earhart, could have gone so far off course... :suspect:

chevvron
14th Jan 2011, 13:01
Irrespective why not try Warton, it's only a stones throw from Blackpool. If it is part of the Tornado, it could be important.
The structure is typical of a military aircraft; lightening holes with a 'bevel' to maintain structural integrity.

Fishtailed
17th Jan 2011, 22:02
I'm sure it's not from a Tornado, Chevvron, modern flanged lightening holes have a radiused flange, these are almost a flat section bevel. Post war light aircraft or even WW2 type.

acmech1954
18th Jan 2011, 15:14
To me the rivet holes look too small, they look as though they are still 'pilot' holes, so it would seem that it has never been fitted to whatever it belongs to. It may be a bracket that became redundant or modified and was scrapped before use. I would think that if had come from a crashed a/c then it would not have been as 'pristine' as that.
How it came to be in the sea is another question, perhaps a bit of FOD went for a ride !!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jan 2011, 20:52
At least 2 Cherokees crashed off Blackpool in recent years.

Fishtailed
20th Jan 2011, 18:43
acmech, the holes are 3/32, which is a standard imperial rivet size. The tooling holes are 3/16 so it's off a british or american aircraft.

blue up
21st Jan 2011, 08:32
Piper Aircraft Parts from Preferred Airparts (http://www.preferredairparts.com/piper.htm)

These guys might know.

Atcham Tower
21st Jan 2011, 09:56
Suggest you try the FlyPast Historic Forum. Judging by recent identification of similar relics, someone will know! A lot of aeroplanes have ended up in the sea off Blackpool in the last 70 years ...

acmech1954
27th Jan 2011, 06:21
Pilot holes are normally around 3/32, also if it had been a part of a crashed aircraft the holes would be either, damaged where the fasteners had ripped through, or would still have fasteners fitted.

dixi188
27th Jan 2011, 09:33
I would also agree that it is an unused part.
I worked for BAC in the '70s and detail parts like this would have 3/32" pilot holes that on assembly would be drilled out 1/8" and then No. 30 clearance for 1/8" rivets.

Still no idea what it's for though. Probably Jag, Tornado or Strikemaster as it's near Warton.