PDA

View Full Version : Walney, Cumbria

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 23:33
Do they still use the Walney Airport in Cumbria near Barrow??? It's in the air map but not on the road map!!!!!!!!!

Rockwell
4th Feb 2001, 23:49
Yes

The VSEL Be200s still operate from there as do several resident light a/c

I presume the gliding club is also active. Though I haven't been there
for a few years.

Gibbon Tickling Fan
5th Feb 2001, 03:59
Indeed they do.
I was the FO on the Be20 for a year and a half.

The Airfield is controlled by Capt. Peter A M Spofforth (nice guy), and if you call during office hours you will probably get through to either Brenda or Stella - both of whom will deal with any questions you may have.

The gliding club ususally ops most weekends and evenings in the summer. Head guy is Peter Lewis. Brenda / Stella will be able to give you his contact details.

The airfield is unlicenced at present, so no flight instruction.

If you happen to pass in - say hi from Steve.

bonajet
5th Feb 2001, 06:21
Gibbon Tickling Fan
Is the Pete Spofforth you refer to ex-RAF, aged around 50? If he is do you have an email address for the airfield or failing that a phone number/address? I lost touch with him in the 80's. Thanks.

Biggles Flies Undone
5th Feb 2001, 19:17
Wow, you’ve really tickled my memory there! I learnt to fly on a residential course at CAX and our QXC was CAX-Walney-Blackpool. Full of SPL enthusiasm I lobbed a perfect initial call to Walney to be greeted by “The weather is clear, runway XX you are clear to land”. Another call got the same response so I landed, trotted up to the tower with my form for signature – to be greeted by a bloke with his feet up on the desk, wearing a flashy helmet.

“Ullo Lad – need a signature? Controller's day off, but I put my fireman’s ‘at on for yer specially!”

He gave me “Excellent” for all categories on the form – which is more than the stroppy sod up the Blackpool tower did!

Gibbon Tickling Fan
6th Feb 2001, 03:31
Yup, thats Peter okay.
I'm affraid that I don't know of any email connections, but if you get the number for walney airfield (from Directory enquiries) you'll get through fine.

Again, please pass on my regards.

Steve.

Willy Jazz the cans 2
6th Feb 2001, 17:18
Hi Steve, how's life treating you?

Get in touch mate :)

Nick

------------------
I'm on my way!

Yogi-Bear
7th Feb 2001, 00:39
Hi,
Walney, EGNL, in my book is 01229 471147 or 471407.

Y_B