PDA

View Full Version : I need help here with this one!! KSFB

SFly
3rd Feb 2001, 21:52
Time to get the log books out. Now, I doubt if anyone can help me, but I am compiling a history of KSFB (Sanford). I really need to know what the tail # was on the first flight into Sanford. It was 10 April 1996. It was an AIH 767 (they only had DAJC and SJMC at the time), and it was a 9.30 minute flight from LGW. I know it's a longshot but can somebody help?

Orbis
3rd Feb 2001, 23:34
First commercial heavy jet into Sanford was on the 9th April 96. (Not the 10th) GSJMC. B767. Flight then departed at 1820Z from SFB and arrived in MME at 0230Z. Prior to that the largest aircraft were B727s using the airfield to operate gambling charters mostly at weekends.

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 00:56
WOW!! How did you know that??? I had very low hopes that I would find the answer to that one. It amazes me that anyone would know that! Thank you, Orbis. Could you let me know how you knew? Very grateful! Now my history of KSFB is a complete entity. Thanks again.
SFly

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 03 February 2001).]

Orbis
4th Feb 2001, 01:36
I operated the flight back! After MME we flew back to LGW.

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 01:43
Thanks!! Amazing, that. Here's an excerpt to see how it helped:

And then the pivotal day that Orlando Sanford Airport was waiting for finally arrived. On 9 April 1996, an Airtours International Boeing 767-300ER (registered G-SJMC) with 326 holidaymakers aboard took off from London Gatwick airport at 7:37 AM London time. 9 hours and 38 minutes later, at 12:15 PM New York time, it touched down at Orlando Sanford Airport and taxied to one of the pristine gates for the first flight into the new airport. It truly was a “Passage To A New Era”.

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 03 February 2001).]

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 01:51
Uh oh, I have another puzzler. Anyone who was an AIH long haul pilot during 1996/1997 could tell me this. There were three Saturday flights to SFB during Winter 96/97. The one I need help with was the VZ 42, wich could have been any destination. (operated by their 757s -- Blimey!) My question is, which one? I have a mysterious hunch that it was SFB - MAN but I can't be sure!!! Can anybody help?

Orbis
4th Feb 2001, 02:14
Can't help with #42 but if you require the flight number of the flight from LGW on the 9th April it was the AIH 027. The return to MME was AIH 028

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 02:17
Thank you, I am grateful to you for all your info, Orbis. Cheers SFly

Orbis
4th Feb 2001, 02:36
SFly, you can answer one for me. Does Nelson Blankenchip still work at Sanford?

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 03:20
The answer to that one is . . . I don't think so. But I do know he did some consultancy for the construction of the new 120,000 sq ft domestic terminal (that adds 7 new stands). That's all I know!
SFly

pax domina
4th Feb 2001, 21:47
But SFly, can you get out your crystal ball and tell us when they're going to change the official name of KSFB to "Sanford/Seminole County Larry the Cable Guy International (and as always brought to you by Gibson Truck World, Highway 17-92, Sanford)"?

:) :) :)

pax d (College Park resident)

PS - SFly didn't have an e-mail address listed so I had to resort to posting this!

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 04 February 2001).]

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 22:08
There's no need to get nasty about it.

pax domina
4th Feb 2001, 22:14
No malice intended, I assure you! :) My parents are long-time Seminole County residents, and I've even had catfish a couple of times at the Lake Jessup Inn (the one by the fish camp north of Oviedo).

Is your research for a book, or something that appears on the web? As someone who (when she was a very young junior accountant) worked on the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority audit, I am genuinely interested in reading it! (At that time they were just looking in to the possibility of bringing larger charter jets in to SFB to relieve some of the load at MCO.)

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 04 February 2001).]

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 22:29
Forgiven!!! :)
As for the history, It started out with me in the Sanford library working off or personal interest (sorting out exactly what was what from 1930s-present!!) and ended up with me completing a full two-part report!!! It's very good, as accurate as I can get it. I've been hawking it round the airport. If you want me to send it to you, I will be happy to, just let me know. PS Things have changed slightly and since they settled in with approx 500,000 sq ft terminal and the name Orlando Sanford Intl, there has been no more debate over the name, I can assure you!!! :)

SFly

pax domina
4th Feb 2001, 23:24
SFly - send me an e-mail and we'll work out the details! :)