PDA

View Full Version : if pilot notice no gulping in oil quantity ..is it normal case ? why ?

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 07:20
fuel traces found in the oil tank of turbo fan engine ? whats the reason

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 07:23
after engine shut down a heavy smoke came out from the engine exhaust duct whats the reasons of this problem ??

SNS3Guppy
31st Dec 2010, 07:28
Klay,

That's fuel vaporizing, but not burning. The result is smoke.

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 07:28
this question teaching assistance ask it to me while he teach engine fuel system in turbofan engine

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 07:33
if pilot notice no gulping in oil quantity ..is it normal case ? why

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 07:35
plz explain more .. how it vaporize & when

bearfoil
31st Dec 2010, 07:51
Is one seeking an oblique entre into the QA32 thread? Lubricating Oil??

klay_air
31st Dec 2010, 08:00
heavy oil leak coming from main gearbox breather outlet during operation .. what is the reasons ?

bearfoil
31st Dec 2010, 14:17
Sometimes instructors ask straightforward questions to elicit comment. It could be that someone wants to start a dialogue, or that someone is trying to inject some banter into this format. One's experience level is generally unknown here, so the alternatives are fishing, sciolisting, or needling. I assume the more honorable motives.

MarkerInbound
31st Dec 2010, 15:04
If you have fuel in the oil tank, there has to a leak. If the engine has an oil cooler that uses fuel as the coolant, the fuel is at a much higher pressure than the oil and will flow through the leak into the oil system. You can land with more fluid in the oil tank then you departed with. If you have oil quanity gauges for each engine, you might think about shutting the engine down since Jet A does not have the same lubricating properties as oil.

bearfoil
31st Dec 2010, 15:24
The Oil cooler has drawn attention prior, in the case of the RR TRENT, in BA038. In that case, it was discovered that the Fuel tubes were overlong, and created ICE in the FUEL. Snipped shorter, Bob's your Uncle. So they say, those FAA.

Any OIL leak at any breather suggests too much OIL. This doesn't mean necessarily someone over-filled the OIL Tank, it could mean that the "Spill" circuit, (OIL), has plugged, and Oil is supplied in excess from the Pump. This can affect all OIL recipients in the Circuit. Plugs in OIL lines are (can be) critical to powerplant operation. "Too Much" OIL can also be indicated (though not actual), in an OIL system that aerates its lubricating OIL. Foaming, or insufficient "De-Aeration" can expand the indicated Quantity of Oil in the system.

bear

JACK BATSON
31st Dec 2010, 17:42
Not being technical, but just very interested.
I was on the way to JFK in November, and off the starboard side there was at about 2-3miles with similar altitude a twin rear jet passenger small 727, DC80, Embraer type aircraft.
This thing was absolutely belching thick black smoke, and I mean thick. leaving a huge black contrail about 1/2 mile long from one engine. It flew on same parallel course as us for about 6mins, and slow peeled away towards Canada smoking all the way. I dont know if it was a test flight or if pax. were on board, but we were at cruising altitude and there seemed to be no great urgency from the other pilot to do anything. First thing I did in NY was check the news, but nothing!
I have never seen an aircraft smoking anything like this.
Would the pilot be aware, and any idea if this is also a fuel/oil issue?
Sorry if this a bit of an idiot question, but I would really appreciate your comments.

grounded27
1st Jan 2011, 17:10
Old DC9's and 727's are known to smoke. It is simply a tired engine not operating as efficiently as a freshly overhauled one or a new tight tolerance engine on a new aircraft. There is plenty of instrumentation to guage engine performance and most airlines monitor trends to catch a sick engine prior to failure.