PDA

View Full Version : CAA IR Renewal

Jockflyer
3rd Jun 2001, 22:26
Can anybody help?

Having passed my CPL/IR last October, and not having found a job yet, I am now concerned at the cost of my forthcoming renewal.

Can I renew it in the US, or must it be done in Blighty.

If it is to be blighty, then can anyone suggest a good/cheap place to hire a twin.

Also is the renewal as lengthy and demanding as the initial? What is involved?

Thanks

JF

Stan Evil
4th Jun 2001, 22:31
What you are looking for is not an 'IR renewal' but a revalidation of your MEP class rating including IR revalidation. This should be done some time during the last 3 months validity of your present class rating. After this it becomes a 'renewal' although the test (and the fee) is exactly the same. This is also known as a 'Licensing Proficiency Check (LPC)'.

The flight can be done anywhere but must be conducted by a JAA Single Pilot CRE/IRR (Class Rating Examiner/Instrument Rating Renewals) - the UK agreed charge for such a test is around £150.

If you revalidate the class rating at the same time as the instrument rating then the flight will probably be about the same duration as the initial IR. The instrument flying bit is almost identical to the initial IR (but no stalling and no need to enter CAS; no enroute section if you've got a bunch of route sectors in your log book; the non-precision approach can be an SRA). The GH for the class rating includes stalling, steep turns and circuits.