PDA

View Full Version : Field Elevation in hPa

J D
28th Dec 2010, 06:52
I was looking at some Jeppesen Approach Plates from the Middle East and noticed field elevation was defined by hPa in the briefing strip but in feet on the plan view.... can someone explain this to me. I understand altimeter settings in hPa but I thought field elevation was defined in feet.

Cheers,
JD

rudderrudderrat
28th Dec 2010, 07:16
Hi JD,

In the old days (before radio altimeters) we used QFE for take off and landing. The let down plates published the difference between QNH and QFE as "Field Elevation" in mbs.

It was just a cross check that the settings passed by ATC were sensible.

J D
28th Dec 2010, 10:09
Thanks for the quick reply...makes perfect sense to me now. I think I may be able to win a few bar bets with that one.

Cheers,
JD

Go Indigo
21st Jun 2019, 04:24
I was looking at some Jeppesen Approach Plates from the Middle East and noticed field elevation was defined by hPa in the briefing strip but in feet on the plan view.... can someone explain this to me. I understand altimeter settings in hPa but I thought field elevation was defined in feet.

Cheers,
JD

If you multiply the hPa value by 27, you should get the field elevation in feet as QNH is simply QFE corrected to sea level under ISA conditions.
I was looking at a Jepp plate for an Indian airport today and was surprised to see the hPa value. I wanted to check on the internet if my theory was correct!
Never saw this on any approach plates in the US.