PDA

View Full Version : YTV's Production of "Airline" ( Not EasyJet!!)

JB007
29th Jan 2001, 00:07
Ok Guys,
Need you to rack the old grey matter back to a Yorkshire TV production in the earlies 80's (I think!) called Airline...a DC-3 Cargo Operator run by a chap called Jack Ruskin played by Roy Marsden....
All based on a few novels by Wilfred Greatorex.

Well thats all I can remember, I was only 9 at the time !!!!

If your memory does serve you well, do you know where I can get hold of the series on video ? Drawn somewhat of a blank so far !!!!

Cheers

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

Evanelpus
30th Jan 2001, 17:46
Redcoat was the name of the airline and they 'progressed' to Bristol Britannias. I think I have a slide of one in my collection at Luton on a lovely sunny day.

Good luck with the search.

VP8
30th Jan 2001, 20:47
They have just rerun it on one of the satellite digitals channels, so it should be on again soon!!!!

BRGDS
VP8

Avman
30th Jan 2001, 22:17
Ican't remember if the ficticious airline was called Redcoat. Actually, I think it was Ruskin Air Services or something like that. However, I can tell you for sure that the real Redcoat which operated Britannias had nothing to do whatsoever with this TV series. The series did indeed feature a couple of DC-3s. A new series was commissioned which would have included a larger piston airliner (may well have been a Connie) but was scrapped due to the lack of suitable financing.

Airbanda
31st Jan 2001, 02:24
The series mentioned by Evanelpus was a different one. I think the airline involved was called Redair and used the ex Redcoat Brit with not much more change than the last letters of the title. Probably on the BBC and set pretty much in its 70's present. Airline was set in the immediate post war era with entrepreneur/buccaneer Ruskin rescued from insolvency by the Berlin airlift.

Come to think of it was'nt Buccaneer the title of the Redair/Britannia series.

Anybody else remember?

[This message has been edited by Airbanda (edited 30 January 2001).]

Airbanda
31st Jan 2001, 02:31
I would not mind finding Airline again. First shown when living in a flat share in Golders Green, TV reception suggested entire series filmed in CAT3 conditions :)

[This message has been edited by Airbanda (edited 30 January 2001).]

Evanelpus
31st Jan 2001, 14:45
Airbanda/Avman

Obviously getting old, brain failing. Thanks for the polite correction of my previous post, it was a genuine mistake.

PURPLE PITOT
31st Jan 2001, 15:26
Is it the one filmed at Blackpool? you can still see Ruskin Air Servises faintly on one of the hangar doors.

Next Generation PSR
31st Jan 2001, 18:54
Just for info, those of you with Granada Plus on cable/satellite, Nov/Dec they showed the 'Airline' series featuring Roy Marsden as Jack Ruskin owner of the DC3s in Ruskin Air Services.

I believe 'Bucanneer' using the Bristol Britannias of Redcoat Air Cargo as 'Redair' occassionally pops up on UK Gold, also on cable/satelite. ( unfortunately have not seen the latter, but caught about 3 Airline episodes)

[This message has been edited by Next Generation PSR (edited 31 January 2001).]

dada
3rd Feb 2001, 20:21
airline was indeed filmed at blackpool - i was a spotter at the time but also went to a local casting agency for fill in parts etc. i was involved in the series as an extra - i played roy marsdens stunt double when the dak crashed in the snow and they had to bail out from the cockpit roof exit ( quite a drop ). roy was bald at the time and wore a very good wig which i acquired at the end of the filming. from what i can remember the dc3
belonged to a company called aces high who also provided a/c for war films etc. i was also in memphis belle as the belly gunner who got trapped. this week i am mostly in emmerdale as a sheep farmer.