PDA

View Full Version : Night rating included in IR?

FlyingGoat
13th Dec 2010, 17:18
LASORS (LAS E4.2) is ambiguous; is a night qualification included in an instrument rating?

I was trying to unravel the double negatives in: '....the holder of a licence that does not include a valid instrument rating (aeroplane) shall not act as PIC of an aeroplance carrying pax at night unless, during the previous 90 days.....'

I would appreciate a reference - thanks.

Whopity
13th Dec 2010, 17:39
No, you must have a night qualification before obtaining an IR. For some strange reason, a valid IR exempts you from completing one night circuit to meet the 90 day currency requirement at night.

Its a direct copy from JAR-FCL 1.026 where its titled Recent Experience rather than Validity.

FlyingGoat
13th Dec 2010, 19:00
Thanks, Whopity.

My original night qualification is lost in the mists of time - a seriously long time ago.

My recent IR renewal was right on the 6 year 364-day limit, having renewed my ATPL earlier this year.

Does this imply that I should now have to obtain a night qualification? My IR refresher included a night detail (dual).

I'll hit JAR-FCL 1.026 and get up-to-speed. Flying privately, not that it makes any difference, as far as I know.

Whopity
13th Dec 2010, 22:36
A professional licence includes a Night Qualification. Once qualified, it remains forever. The old Night Rating had a recency requirement but the JAA Night Qualification only has the 90 day requirement if carrying passengers.

FlyingGoat
13th Dec 2010, 22:38
Thanks, Whopity, much appreciated.