PDA

View Full Version : Are 3rd level degrees any advantage?

EI 666
25th Apr 2001, 21:54
I just want to know of all you fully fledged pilots out there with commercial airlines, is it typical for a pilot not to have a third level degree?

Or, as with every other industry, does a third level degree lead to higher salaries, better career prospects etc?

Thx for you opinions.

standby1
25th Apr 2001, 21:59
The average post grad is like a lighthouse in the desert.......Very bright, but no use to anyone..............

EI 666
25th Apr 2001, 22:02
Sorry,

I mean degree, your Joe Bloggs undergraduate degree.

Again sorry.

Hard Rider
27th Apr 2001, 19:12
If you've got a third class degree they probably won't hold it against you <grin !>. You'll find lots of pilots these days have degrees - I would guess about a third of those in my airline.

No, it doesn't help. Perhaps as a guide to your ability in general when you're looking for a job or trying to get a training position, but it's insignificant compared with stuff like advanced (multi, turbine, etc) time and LOFT or whatever they're calling it now.

Progress is all about seniority - even easyjet seem to want to bring it in now. It's the easiest way for management to promote people in order whilst upsetting the fewest people. Unlikely any other industry, you generally go to the bottom of the pile when you change jobs.

It's a wacky world but it's still absolutely the best job going despite the various gripes you hear. Just don't expect an easy time of it initially whatever your background...

EI 666
27th Apr 2001, 21:46
Thx... Hard....mmm.. rider :-D

What about management oppurtunities within airlines for pilots? Are they plentiful?

Thx

MaximumPete
27th Apr 2001, 22:11
I came into flying in the late 60s with a few O-levels.

Decided to study for an MSc a couple of years ago by distant learning. Great fun!! Wish I'd done it before if only for the study weekends.

I know why it takes the average student three years to complete a degree full time!