PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Officer PPrune

AirScream
24th Apr 2001, 11:58
We all know about the Original PPRUNE don't we? - Pilot Officer P Prune was a WWII cartoon by a chap named RAFF, but has anyone seen any of his books? I have one, dated 1943 and inscribed as a gift to an airman, it has some great illustrations and from the descriptions it appears that the RAF deep down is pretty much the same in terms of characters if not, capability!

I would like to collect more of RAFF's publications, can anyone lead me to any??

gaunty
24th Apr 2001, 12:49
Fascinating
This is all I can turn up on the Web so far at this site.

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/ngcoba/ho.htm

William HOOPER (ps: RAFF) (M: ? - ?)
Behind The Spitfires [n:1941]
Plonk's Party Of ATC, Etc (w Anthony ARMSTRONG) [1942]
Nice Types (w Anthony ARMSTRONG) [1943]
More Nice Types (w Anthony ARMSTRONG) [1944]
Whiskers Will Not Be Worn (w Anthony ARMSTRONG) [1945]

OK into the garages, lofts and dads old bookcase boys and girls.

Boss Raptor
24th Apr 2001, 13:31
I recall seeing many P.O. Prune cartoons on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon and think there was a book available in the shop...

Lucifer
24th Apr 2001, 13:39
Bill Hooper 54 Sqn 1943

PilotOfficer
24th Apr 2001, 14:22
Someone call? :)

AirScream
24th Apr 2001, 15:41
Nice One Chaps and thanks to the kind moderator for moving us to Questions which I cannot deny it was!

I have "Behind the Spitfires" and would like to get hold of the others. Great to know the author's real name and RAF conection finally revealed. If anyone spots copies let me know and I wil reward your trouble.

FNG
24th Apr 2001, 21:04
There is an excellent book, published by HMSO in the 1980s, called "The Life and Times of Pilot Officer Prune" which relates the story of "Tee Emm" and its protagonist Prune. It includes splendid cartoons and poems, icluding the immortal "Ballad of P/0 Prune", which is every bit as good, in its own way, as "High Flight" etc. and ought to be on the wall of every flying club.

Sadly, the book has been deleted but HMSO might still have some copies. Or try browsing in the Aviation Bookshop on the Holloway Road, but be warned that their huge stock of old flying books is arranged in no logical order and if you go there you may end up blowing too much cash on first editions of aviation classics.

You could also try Alibris.com, the old book equivalent of Amazon.

Taildragger
25th Apr 2001, 19:05
Many years ago, I came across a copy of the "Pilot Officer prune Family History" with descriptions of the Prunes through the ages. It was actually inscribed by the Author, Anthony Armstrong, to "Ronnie the Rozzer" whoever he was, and gave wonderful descriptions of Prunes from the Stone Age onwards, ending with P/O Prune of Prune Magna. The family motto, as I recall was something like "Extractum Digitus" or similar. I remember a pencilled comment by the Author at the page where the Prune Aide to the Duke of Wellington in his tight pants had the comment "No flies on Sir whatsisname Prune.!!"
I presented it to the Spitfire Museum at Manston where I last saw it in a display cabinet. Oh yeah... I paid 25p for it. A Bargain or what.??!!!

[This message has been edited by Taildragger (edited 25 April 2001).]

rolling circle
27th Apr 2001, 02:41
Try:

The Passing of Pilot Officer Prune by Bill Hooper (ISBN 0 85936 025 3)

Alternatively, go to http://www.abebooks.com/ and do a 'quick search' under 'title' for "pilot officer prune" - that should turn up 10 hits with the associated bookshops.

Bailed Out
27th Apr 2001, 13:54
WWW.ebay.com (http://WWW.ebay.com) (international search) should turn up some stuff occasionally. Also good for loads of other aviation goodies.