PDA

View Full Version : NZ C-Cat Instructors Rating - Part-time Course.

HercFeend
3rd Dec 2010, 00:13
Hey

Just looking for a bit of advice / knowledge / background info/ experiences etc from any of you guy that have done a C-Cat part-time........

Due to work and family commitments I can't or won't be doing a C-Cat at one of the 'big' schools in one hit. Most people seem to think this is in no way a bad thing so I've no worries there. What I'm not sure about though is how it all "fits" together in a part-time scenario.

I'll do an ITC at a recognised provider, I'm hour building at the moment (currently up to a mammoth 130 PIC ). The course though, how does that work? What is the flying component? Is there usually ground school or is it back into self study - will that be sufficient? I understand there is something in the region of 50 lessons to 'memorises'! Lots of questions not many answers are coming to mind.......

Thanks for any pointers.

Oktas8
3rd Dec 2010, 07:51
Hmm. I'm not a part time student, but perhaps this is the information you're after:

25 hours air learning how to teach the standard lessons found in the CAA's GAP Flight Instructor Guide;
At least one hour air learning how to recover from a spin;
As many hours on the ground as it takes to learn to brief students.

Plus extra hours air & ground as required to meet the standard required, which is quite hard for students whose aircraft handling skills or book learning is not up to speed at the beginning of the course. (That is, almost all of us.)

On the bright side, you won't need to memorise any briefings!

HercFeend
5th Dec 2010, 23:13
Thanks for taking the time to reply O8.

I guess, on reflection, as it's not a formalised full-time course I'll be undertaking I'll have to suck it and see how it plays out......

I'm considering approaching the ANZFC - anyone here fly with them?

Cheers

TO_GA
6th Dec 2010, 07:59
Hi HercFeend,

I wasn't a part-time C-Cat student either but perhaps I can shed some light on what the course involves. The main components are;

- Minimum of 150 hours Pilot-in-Command time
- An Instructional Techniques Course (4 day)
- Ground course as required to learn pre-flight* and PofF briefings**
- Minimum of 25 hours dual air instruction
- Minimum of 1 hour spin recovery training

* There are about 23 pre-flight lesson briefings that you'll need to be competent in presenting prior to your flight test. One of these briefings will be selected by your examiner on the day of your test, and that will be the lesson you present in the classroom and teach in the air exercise.

** In addition to that, you'll also require a sound knowledge of a number of Principles of Flight briefings. The exact number and structure of them may vary depending on the course provider - however the content covered will be largely the same.

All of the information on the requirements for the C-Cat and the course syllabus can be found in AC 61-18 (Pilot Licences and Ratings - Flight Instructor Ratings) (http://www.caa.govt.nz/Advisory_Circulars/AC61_18.pdf) including all of the briefings you'll need to cover on the course.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with the course. :ok:

TO_GA

MetGirl
8th Dec 2010, 02:58
Hi,
I did a C Cat part-time. The other guys have told you all about the hours requirements etc. All I can add is - don't underestimate it. How long it will actually take depends on how much time you have available to put into it. The more work you do yourself (ie practising briefings, POF etc) the less you will end up spending because you will pay either an hourly rate or a set price for ground work with an instructor.
The flying itself is the least of your worries.
You will find that every minute of the day your head is filled up with briefings, patter, POF etc. You will have no spare time and if you have a partner don't expect to see them for the duration - unless you are practising briefings on them.
In saying all that though, it worked for me so it can be done, you just need to be organised. Good luck!

HercFeend
8th Dec 2010, 19:22
Cheers guys

Sorry, I wan't very clear with my original question. It wasn't so much the 'requirements' to become an instructor I was after, I've downloaded & read AC61-18 and various other publications like the Instructors Manual etc and am comfortable with that knowledge. It was info around what to expect from a part-time course I was particularly after, which MetGirl has summed up in a nutshell - many thanks for your insight.

TO_GA thanks for your * & ** notes in particular, very useful thanks.

Thanks all.

TractorP1lot
9th Dec 2010, 07:13
Hi Hercfeend,

I can back up what MetGirl has said. In order to successfully tackle a 'C' cat part time you will have to sacrifice your free time to study/fly when weather,aircraft or instructor allow. It is tough to study when all your friends are out having fun or having to turn down your partner when they want more of your attention. However the discipline you will develop (if you have not already) will pay dividends when you land your first job.

My advice to you is surround yourself with other like minded and ambitious people, they will help motivate you when you are lacking enthuasium. Find an experienced instructor who has been doing it for years, they will teach you what you really need to know. Most importantly be gracious, respectful and polite, a smile or helping hand goes a long way in this industry.

If you need study notes have a look on the FAA website, Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/). The handbooks are well illustrated and have clear explanations.

Feel free to PM me, Ill help where I can.

Cheers
TractorP1lot

Oktas8
10th Dec 2010, 10:49
ambiguous people

People who may not really be people at all...

BTW, do make sure that your training organisation is in a position to take you on provided you do well. For the brand new C-cat, it's difficult to find a job outside your own training organisation.

Good luck!
O8

HercFeend
13th Dec 2010, 17:44
BTW, do make sure that your training organisation is in a position to take you on provided you do well. For the brand new C-cat, it's difficult to find a job outside your own training organisation.

That is the conundrum I'm facing. We'll be moving from the area at around the same time as I would anticipate finishing the course and would therefore be trying to offer the services of a newly qualified C-Cat to a club/school in the new location.........

Would I be better off waiting until we move then train and work with a club in that area?

toolowtoofast
13th Dec 2010, 17:53
I did my C-cat part time. I had about 1200hrs though when I started it. It took 6 months, and was hard work.

Do the training where you intend living. The local aeroclub will always employ locally trained pilots (unless they have done something really dumb) before hiring under-supervision c-cats from somewhere else

HercFeend
15th Dec 2010, 01:27
That's about half a dozen times I've hear that now from various sources...... Looks like I'll be waiting until we're moved before commencing this course then!

Thanks for all the input guys.