PDA

View Full Version : A DC-8-63F W&B computer does... what?

jettison valve
21st Nov 2010, 19:47
Good evening,

During a recent trip to a few scrap yards in the US, I bought a "Weight / CG Computer". At least I hope it is such a computer... :ok:

The strange thing about this device:
- Apparently, you have to dial in the weight in lbs and the CG in %MAC yourself.
- The only response that the computer seems to be able to give in return is on an analog scale "500---0---500".

Has anyone an idea what the scale is meant to indicate? And how this thing works? The D&O part of the CMM would be great... :cool:

A bit more info - the labels on the box show the following data:
- "Lockheed Aircraft Servicing Service Company"
- "DC-8-63F WT & BAL COMPUTER"
- "10061A100" (probably the part number)
- "002" (the serial number)
- "10/71" probably the manufacture date

The box is about 8cm wide, 6cm high, 10cm deep.
Apart from a "TEST" pushbutton, there seem to be remains of a three position switch ("OFF", "WT", "CG") on the front.
The backside has a bay for a fuse, and a connector for 19 pins (five are unused).

Any clues about this device, especially the purpose? :sad:

Thanks,
J.V.

SOPS
23rd Nov 2010, 13:14
Got a picture??

rudderrudderrat
23rd Nov 2010, 13:52
We had a similar device on VC9 (Vanguard) freighters.

Oleo pressure was sensed from the nose & both main gears. Knowing the cross sectional area of the gear struts allowed STAN to calculate the weight, and by using some simple internal processing, it could calculate the C of G expressed as % MAC.

It proved invaluable on at least one occasion when pallets 1 -9 had been loaded 9 - 1 and the C of G was way out of limits.

STAN Link (http://www.sawe.org/node/4115)

Apparently, you have to dial in the weight in lbs and the CG in %MAC yourself.
That may be part of the initial set up & calibration.

jettison valve
29th Nov 2010, 14:25
A picture of the "user interface" can be found here...:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4497/dsc015900.jpg

Cheers, J.V.

411A
29th Nov 2010, 15:20
Same on many B707 freighters...STAN.

Normally, reasonably accurate, IF maintained properly.

jettison valve
29th Nov 2010, 15:29
Hmmm... I don^t have access to the "Society of Allied Weight Engineers, Inc." paper.

And I still don^t know how this little thinks helps in day to day ops... :confused:

You dial in your best guess of weight and CG, and the device will show something on the scale.
How do you interpret the reading? With the help of a load sheet?

And then still somebody needs to check out the floor loadings, running loads, cantilevers etc.?

Regards, J.V.

vapilot2004
29th Nov 2010, 23:12
The green mark at +200 is interesting.

rudderrudderrat
30th Nov 2010, 00:16
Hi JV,

You dial in your best guess of weight and CG, and the device will show something on the scale.
Probably.

I've not seen one like this before - but I would guess that you dial in your best estimate of weight / C of G (from a load sheet) and see what the meter says. If you are spot on - then it would display centre scale. Belt and braces.