PDA

View Full Version : Any good books recommand?

davissiu
14th Nov 2010, 23:13
Hi guys, I am very new to aviation, but I'd like to acquire some aviation knowledge through books or internet resources. Does anyone have any suggestion where to start with and how to proceed? I'd like to build up my knowledge step by step before I apply cadet program and have technical interview a couple years later. I appreciate for any advices :)

Mechta
15th Nov 2010, 16:41
Flight without Formulae - A C Kermode

Model Aircraft Aerodynamics - Martin Simons

Introduction to Flight - John D Anderson Jr.

The top two are very readable, and the second applies as much to full-size aircraft as models. The last give some maths, and you aren't going to get away from that in aviation.

NASA has a good website for explaining the theory of flight too: Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics (http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/index.html)

Go to a model aircraft club and experience flying for real, albeit with a transmitter in your hands. You will rapidly pick up the terminology.

The Hong Kong Aviation Club says it aims to encourage youth in aviation, so you could do worse than talk to them too: http://www.hkaviationclub.com.hk/nav2.html

Without knowing what you already know, its difficult to direct you to material at the right level, but there's plenty of stuff on Wikipedia, and if you don't understand something, come back here and ask!

davissiu
15th Nov 2010, 21:54
thank you for your reply. I am thinking about buy the FAA's Pilot's handbook of aeronautic knowledge, is that a good one to start with?

I will surely go look up more technical stuff on the internet as well as the books you suggested.

Once again, thank you for your generosity:ok:

goldfish85
15th Nov 2010, 22:10
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators by Hurt

Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langeweische (or something like that)

Goldish

orangeboy
15th Nov 2010, 22:29
Any books that flying schools use for beginners - i.e introductory flying manuals and Basic Aeronautical Knowledge type books are the best place to start in my opinion. Are there many flying schools in HK? I know they have flights at the old Kai Tak Airport, so maybe give that place a ring and see what kind of materials they use. Maybe even take a few trial flights aswell - its one thing to read about flying, but doing it is another facet altogether, and you will have a greater appreciation for all the stuff you read if you have atleast sampled flight for yourself. :)

Then once you have a firm grip for the concepts in the introductory books, move onto Private Pilots License (PPL) level stuff, then CPL. I would not go and buy the most advanced books straight away, it will become more confusing, and often you will need some basic understanding of the concepts before you will know what they are on about.

Goodluck!

picollo
16th Nov 2010, 05:26
I highly recommend "From the ground up"

Bergerie1
16th Nov 2010, 09:32
'Handling the Big Jets' by D. P. Davies This is a bible for airline pilots by a distinguished test pilot. Probably somewhat more advanced than what you are looking for at the moment but very good when you have read the others.

'747 - creating the world's first jumbo jet and other aviation adventures from a life in aviation' by Joe Sutter. He led the team who designed the Boeing 747. This is an excellent read covering the design issues and the politices involved in bringing this amazing aircraft to life.

P.S. And I thoroughly recommend Kermode.

davissiu
16th Nov 2010, 11:34
Thank you everyone!!! Its nice to get so much information for you guys.

To orangeboy
Thank you for your detail suggestion :ok: There is only one flight school in hk I believe, but you have to pay a lot of money to join as a member before you can take flight training, and that is very discouraging. There are no more flights in Kai Tai since they closed it in 1998, they are using Shek Kong airport instead which is a military base as well. As a matter of fact, I had a trial flight 2 years ago in Flight Training Adelaide, and I love it so much! I'm planning to study civil aviation in Australia after I graduated from high school! Hopefully i will be able to get PPL and CPL :)

Once again thank you guys

noperf
16th Nov 2010, 12:50
"My Secret War"- Drury

"Night Flight"- St-Exupery

"Fate is the Hunter"- Gann

"West With the Night"- Markham

"Fly the Wing"- Webb

"North Star Over My Shoulder"-Buck

"The Art of Flying"- Buck

"Flying Know how"- Buck

"Weather Flying"- Buck

"Steaming to Bamboola"- Buckley

"First Light"- Wellum

Harrier1994
23rd Nov 2010, 16:27
Thanks for the help on this thread guys i was looking for some helpful info and ive checked out some of the aboive books mentioned and its really starting to help so cheers! :D

Rickford
23rd Nov 2010, 17:34
Hi you can get the FAA Handbook off the internet as a pdf file for free. It is a good read as is the company IFR book