PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(H) to FI(R)

ATR43
7th Nov 2010, 06:57
Hi all

I am endeavouring to help a friend sort out a problem that the CAA appear to answer only by insisting we examine LASORS which creates more questions than it answers.

He is an ex military helicopter pilot who started in the civil world having done his licences etc around 1990 and he is now comng up to retirement and is looking to do some instructing on a fixed wind aircraft . He has for many years been doing weekend flying the cadets on the Tutor as a member of the RAFVR.

The question is what if any exams is he required to undertake given his existing ATPL(H) to enable him to undertake an FI course and be re-munerated.

Any answers very much appreciated

mad_jock
7th Nov 2010, 07:40
Phone Alex at Bristol ground school he will know.

He will also have to complete the the aircraft CPL course.

Ontrack are the best ones for telling you what you need to do for the FI course.

Unfortuanately it might work out quite expensive with not much change from 10k.

Whopity
7th Nov 2010, 08:01
Firstly, does he have an aeroplane licence? He will need at least a PPL(A) on which to place the rating. Whilst he could not currently be remunerated on a PPL; with the move to EASA-FCL in 2012 a PPL holder will be able to be remunerated for flight instruction.

He holds an ATPL so has met the ICAO requirement to demonstrated CPL level knowledge however; the real issue is; will the CAA accept that as it was for Helicopters. In reality, there is little difference in the CPL knowledge between aeroplanes and helicopters but I doubt there is anyone left in the CAA who will know that. The answer is certainly not in LASORS.

He would have to meet the entry requirements for the FI(A) course and complete the full course to obtain the rating; these are clearly stated in LASORS H1.

Only recently I was involved with an Ex military pilot who followed LASORS and on application, was told he should have obtained an assessment! The CAA knoweth not what they are doing!

ATR43
7th Nov 2010, 15:17
Mad Jock & Whopity

Many thanks for that, he does indeed have a PPL(A) what I find most annoying is to be kept being steered to LASORS when they know the answer is not in there. Whats more they are the only official body and are therefore supposed to know!!!!!

Whopity
7th Nov 2010, 17:01
when they know the answer is not in thereUnfortunately they don't know; since the editor moved to a new job, nobody has the knowledge to update it let alone understand anything in it! They only quote it!

MartinCh
4th Dec 2010, 01:50
oh my... :mad: :ugh: