PDA

View Full Version : Domestic flights cut by a quater!

Serenity
18th Oct 2010, 09:04
Could this be a sign of things to come?
How will higher pax duty tax and more high speed rail lines change the domestic flight industry??
I know these things will take several years to impliment, but take the long term view of 5-10 years??

Domestic flights cut by a quarter - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8065918/Domestic-flights-cut-by-a-quarter.html)

411A
18th Oct 2010, 12:37
The question then becomes...why would someone (anyone) consider domestic flights in the UK, when, with just a little effort and forethought, more pleasant destinations elsewhere are within reach...and perhaps cheaper?

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2010, 12:47
The question then becomes...why would someone (anyone) consider domestic flights in the UK, when, with just a little effort and forethought, more pleasant destinations elsewhere are within reach...and perhaps cheaper?

Hi 411A. Crikey I thought a clever chap like you would have been able to work this out but let me help you. A lot of our business and trade is done outwith London where much of the investment in the railway network went, and so we need the UK domestic network to be affordable to our people. Anyone flying to the mainland from the Highlands and Islands or people commuting between offices that don't involve London need to be able to afford to get about.

It's a basic economic theory, not too complicated I trust.
I know you're based in the US but I think there are a lot of websites that you could use if you really want to find out about our country and how it operates. It's good to learn isn't it?

bingofuel
18th Oct 2010, 12:51
What does that say about the 3.000.000 or so visitors to the UK from the USA each year that chose the UK over more pleasant destinations?

Expressflight
18th Oct 2010, 15:00
411A

You're not related to our old friend teleparty/second coming by any chance are you?

411A
18th Oct 2010, 15:49
What does that say about the 3.000.000 or so visitors to the UK from the USA each year that chose the UK over more pleasant destinations?

No doubt, to remind them of why they (or their relatives) left in the first place...:}

BFS101
18th Oct 2010, 15:58
The Liberal Democrats have called for the imposition of a higher rate of duty on domestic flights, claiming that an "alternative and less polluting" method of travel is "readily available".
Yet no exclusion of the tax from Northern Ireland?? I would say that Northern Ireland, along with the Scottish Islands, does not have a suitable alternative!!

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2010, 16:17
No doubt, to remind them of why they (or their relatives) left in the first place...

Ahh the geriatric ramblings of a bitter old man flying a decrepit aircraft for a dodgy and desperate outfit. The only thing missing here is a ,ild dose of casual racism and that rather particular smell that grandad gives off....

Wheest yourself will you not?

Meanwhile back on topic :

There are a load of domestic routes where there is no realistic alternative. I must admit the hoo hah that HS2 is kicking up as thousands realise that they're about to have miles of high speed rail and trains thundering past their unspoilt views of the countryside. Suddenly a third runway at Heathrow and one village moved doesn't seem such a bad idea. That's not GREEN though, unlike digging up hundreds of miles of countryside and adding to the car crash of costs that is the Operator / Network Rail fiasco that passes for a railway in the UK. Not that quiet a high speed train....

I wonder if Huhne is going to build a railway bridge across the Irish Sea!

Barnaby the Bear
18th Oct 2010, 16:35
It's funny how the Green lobby omit the point about cutting swathes of countryside, the cost of producing the track in enviro terms. The cost to run these trains and produce the electricity needed to power them (something like 1000 kettles worth of power each time 'a' train pulls out of the station).
That aside, with costs potentially rising by 40% on the rail network as the Government look to reduce the 50% subsidy . Domestic Air travel is still very attractive. The rail network can take the load by moving passengers to regional Airports for quick processing and overall travel time. :ok:

ConstantFlyer
18th Oct 2010, 16:39
People who go on about there being no need for domestic flights are often London-focussed, and unaware that there are actually domestic flights in the UK that serve points other than London. High speed rail from London to Birmingham will not replace any domestic flights, as there are none from any London airport to Birmingham; once the HS rail line reaches Manchester, it will still not replace the need for London-Manchester flights. The rail line will take people from city centre to city centre, which is fine if that's where you want to travel from and to; but not a lot of use if you'd prefer to travel from e.g. Windsor to Chester or Horsham to Stockport. Making airports hubs for all means of transport makes more sense - including high speed rail. Brussels Airport has become significantly easier to access since the rail branch line was turned into a through line with long distance services. There will clearly always be a need for domestic air services that cross water to Shetland, Belfast, etc.; but until there is a viable, affordable, convenient and timely alternative surface transport service, I will continue to fly from Edinburgh to Birmingham, Cardiff to Newcastle or Southampton to Manchester.

racedo
18th Oct 2010, 17:02
Hi speed rail line costs how much again ?????