PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Tracking

Love_joy
12th Sep 2010, 22:24
We're looking for an inexpensive tracking system for a small fleet of light aircraft.

Any suggestions?

We'd like realtime, or near realtime reporting.

cribble
13th Sep 2010, 01:36
see PMs....

henry crun
13th Sep 2010, 02:55
It depends what you mean by inexpensive.

Try Spidertracks. Spidertracks - Home (http://www.spidertracks.com/Home.mvc)

werbil
13th Sep 2010, 10:18
I've trialled both indigosat and spider tracks.

indigo sat had extremely powerful reporting. whilst the panel mounted systems offer 2 way texting, the portable units didn't. it used the immarsat system for communicating. it also could transmit 'digital status' (ie weight on wheels etc - eo or similar required)

spidertrack spiders are smaller and some models have the advantage of being able to send and receive text messages with certain blue tooth devices - from memory it used the irridium system for communication. all reporting was accessed from the web. the spider watch is a good idea - if the server doesn't receive a 'landed safely' signal it starts alerting procedures if updates are not received.

in our application the satellite texting and portability made the spiders the best option.

Love_joy
13th Sep 2010, 12:52
Thanks for all the replies, lots to get started with.

Regards

Horace Blok
28th Oct 2010, 10:08
Interesting - anyone have experience with Skytrac? www.skytrac.ca

Thanks

compressor stall
28th Oct 2010, 20:27
We use Daestra trac plus and it's very good. It sends a position out every few mins or with altitude or heading changes (these parameters are customisable) over Iridium via sms and does not interfere with voice calls. You can login and view all historical tracks too, or view the last 500 on Google Earth, with lat/lon, speed, alt etc.

I find Daestra better than SpiderTrac and Skytrac as, from what I have seen of those two in operation, neither keep the breadcrumbs in google earth - you just get a line. Can't speak for their web interfaces though.

Horace Blok
29th Oct 2010, 12:10
The systems by and large seem to offer similar functionality - what sets them apart?

Some companies offer portable units only and other Portable as well as integrated solutions. I'm sure there is no right nor wrong here but I am still fascinated to know why YOUR company chose the one unit over the other.

Anyone know acquisition costs of the units and the monthly running costs? There is probably a "contract" and then one pays for what one uses - right?

Iridium seems to have better coverage.