PDA

View Full Version : Water Loop?

Panama Jack
26th Aug 2010, 17:18
I am just reading the Embraer General Publication "Understanding Vref and Approach Speeds." Amongst other things, it states:

During certification, the actual landing distance is demonstrated as
follows:
• Standard temperature.
• Landing configuration: landing gear and flaps set for landing.
• Stabilized approach at VREF.
• Changes in configuration, power or thrust, and speed, must be
made in accordance with the established procedures for
service operation.
• Determination on a level, smooth, DRY and hard-surfaced
runway.
• The landing must be made without excessive vertical
acceleration, tendency to bounce, nose over, ground loop,
porpoise, or water loop.

What, is a "water loop"? Since we are talking about a Transport Category land plane, we are evidently not talking about the seaplane equivalent of a ground loop.

barit1
27th Aug 2010, 14:02
On the contrary, a transport category seaplane/floatplane would have to be evaluated for its water-loop tendency.

By the same token, a conventional-gear transport category ship (as opposed to tri-gear) would need consideration of nose-over characteristics. (Think DC-3, B-307, C-46...)

Seems to me that Embraer is merely restating the cert regs.

Pugilistic Animus
27th Aug 2010, 18:25
That's what I was thinking but does Embraer make any Amphibious or float models?

barit1
27th Aug 2010, 19:51
Or for that matter, transport category taildraggers?

No, but E. was merely restating (for educational purposes) the regs, whether or not they apply to their current product line.

It appears this publication is available at PDF Service Manual - Free Ebook Service Manual, Free User Manual, Service Automotive, Owner Manual, Electrical and Electronics, TV and Mobile Phone Manual. Free PDF download (http://pdfservicemanual.com/) - I have not attempted to download it.