PDA

View Full Version : becoming an examiner

Squawk7777
2nd Aug 2010, 09:51
Hiya ppruners!

First post in this forum! For quite some time I had been thinking about becoming an examiner. I first tried it with the dear FAA, but you have to put yourself on a waiting list and I haven't heard anything since I started that process three years ago. Not sure, how much serving of coffee and sugar is required, but I am not having any luck in getting selected.

I am now considering in becoming an examiner under JAA. I hold both UK and FAA ATPL, with FAA CFI(I), ME, AGI. Before submitting the application a few questions came to mind. If I get my examiner authorization from the (UK) CAA, can I be certified by another JAA country as well (e.g Germany or France)? Can one actually hold a license from one country and (hopefully) pass/ (and not) fail candidates that applied from another country? The examining questions are for basic/advanced flight training only, I know that a TRE from one JAA member can sign the paperwork from a different JAA state.

Any ideas/thoughts?

7 7 7 7

Whopity
2nd Aug 2010, 11:59
The CAA issue Standards Doc 21 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Standards%2021v6.pdf) which lists the requirements to be authorised as an examiner.

You make no mention of holding a JAA FI rating or of meeting the JAA experience requirements to qualify for appointment. The UK CAA only grant permission when there is a specific need for an additional examiner.

As an examiner authorised under JAR-FCL, the authorisation is confined to testing candidates for licences and ratings issued by the State in which the authorisation is issued, unless specifically authorised by another State.

S-Works
2nd Aug 2010, 16:10
It is possible to be approved by other JAA states if you hold a UK Examiner authority if there is a specific need. I am approved by several European countries due to the unusual ratings I hold but you have to seek approval in advance.

As Whoppity points out, you have to meet the teaching requirements in order to apply to be an examiner and then there has to be a specific need in your area for another examiner.

You don't just become an examiner because it would be a good wheeze!

No different from the FAA which is probably why you are still sat waiting.

Squawk7777
2nd Aug 2010, 18:35
Whopity & bose-x, I have over 2000 hours instruction given under FAA. Not sure how much will qualify or get accepted. I am aware of the waiting game, but not sure if it is on a first-come, first-served basis, since under FAA you have to be in good standing with them, since they will designate you as one of the agency's representative.

The reason I asked about JAA is because the examiner who passed me for my GFT (99 or 2000 - still under the "old" UK CAA system) in Florida was an active/soon to be retired BA pilot. Is the specific need just based on one area or can it be on multiple ones (if you work for an airline and visit secondary places often)?

There will be lots of reading tonight. Thanks for your replies.

7 7 7 7

Edit: started reading on Standards doc. 21, I need to get FI authorization first.

BillieBob
2nd Aug 2010, 20:17
You don't just become an examiner because it would be a good wheeze!Well, not until 2012 anyway. Under EASA, national authorities will lose the right to ration flight examiners and anyone who meets the experience requirements will have the right to an examiner certificate on completion of the required standardisation and demonstration of competence.

The CAA will also lose the right to allocate examiners and candidates will be free to select an examiner for any test from anywhere in the EU. Of course, with a glut of examiners, it will be those who give the easiest ride (i.e. set the lowest standards) who will get the bulk of the business. Another case of EASA raising standards!!

7777 - Whilst it is not explicitly stated anywhere, the instructional experience requirement generally relates to experience as a JAA instructor. Instruction given for FAA licences and ratings will not normally count.

S-Works
2nd Aug 2010, 20:48
You will actually need to be a JAA Instructor in order to be an examiner. You don't say if you are?

Squawk7777
2nd Aug 2010, 21:19
No, don't have any time logged as a JAA instructor. Wouldn't mind getting my JAA FI authorization. I personally think it is more than retarded to not accept any (instruction given) flying time, but I don't want to challenge the bandwidth of this bulletin board. :ugh:

Another question comes to mind. Do you need to hold a FI license to become a TRE/TRI? (I still haven't read doc 21...)

sycamore
2nd Aug 2010, 22:06
:rolleyes:Used to be said of CFS:
Those who can ,do
Those that can`t , instruct
Those that can`t instruct,examine.....

DFC
2nd Aug 2010, 22:14
To clarify what Whopity said;

All the training and testing for a particular licence or rating have to be conducted under the Authority of 1 State.

So a person trains for and is tested for and obtains a PPL in country A. They hold a JAA PPL issued by country A.

The can at a later stage decide to add a multi engine piston class rating to that licence.

They can go to country B, attend an FTO, complete the training, pass the test with an Examiner from country B and having supplied all the appropriate paperwork to country A have the rating placed on your licence by country A.

Sounds far more complicated than it is in practice.

------------

While the number of examiners is strictly controlled at present, come 2012 EASA laws will make the position of examiner available to any suitable candidate with the required experience.

-------------

As for the TRI/TRE. No you do not need an FI rating to become a TRI. However, without a sponsoring organisation, all I can say is that you must have very deep pockets!!

---------

What instructional experience do you have?

I recomend that you read JAR-FCL before the Standards document because the Standards Document is only the UK way while JAR-FCL is closer to what is done on an (almost) European basis.

Since this is 2010 and 2012 is just round the corner you should also check out the up-coming rule changes.

chongololo
4th Aug 2010, 05:22
The FAA also takes into account your location, they generally only allow a certain number of examiners within a particular area or region.
At least that's how it was explained to me.