PDA

View Full Version : 777 Efb Operations

wilco77
1st Aug 2010, 10:33
Does anyone have any information on B777 class3 EFB with regards to calculation V speeds. Does it use and optimizer for calculating V speeds?

Old Smokey
1st Aug 2010, 12:08
Yes wilco77, the OPT does optimise V-Speeds.

Essentially it looks at Runway data and obstacles, and applies the Improved Climb speeds (the first choice). If RTOW is less than the structural limit, it works it's way progressively back to the V2min limit until the RTOW "peaks". If no "performance peak" occurs as the speeds considered reduce, the default is to the Improved Climb performance.:ok:

Good timing for your question, I was fielded almost exactly the same question en-route by a F/O only 2 days ago, so my research into the B777 class 3 EFB is recent. A great number of our pilots have the 'mind-set' that Improved Climb' (Dreadful name Mr. Boeing) relates only to the WAT limit, NOT SO, all performance aspects are considered.

Remember that the annagram OPT for On-board Performance Tool, is also the first 3 letters for OPTIMIZED, that's what it does.:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

autobrakes3
1st Aug 2010, 15:09
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/hiphippyhippo/EFB.jpg

The above screen-shot is from the OPT software on the EFB. The operator can choose the required V speeds calculation (last column) that is desired. However, this is all done behind the scenes by the performance department and the pilot can't change the settings. So get the answer to yr question, you have to ask your company.

In my company, our EFB calculates optimum improved climb speeds which was what Old Smokey just explained.