PDA

View Full Version : Chances of CPL/FI training with hours afterwards

mingmongaloo
26th Jul 2010, 22:53
Hey guys,
I'm in Belfast working towards my PPL. I'm sounding out options for CPL/CFI (which can't be done at my flying club), and am wondering if there are any places that would take a 45 hour pilot and after training him up then offer him a contract, even if it was just for 12 months or so and then being dropped for the next one. I can see for myself in my local flying club how many local high houred people there are, so frankly I can see this being my only way really as getting into aviation in the immediate future - I'm not going to get into debt, and I'm not going to get a CPL/CFI and be sitting there with 250 hours while my flying club is full of ex-bizjet and line pilots flying to keep basic skills up and get some money on the side until (if?) the jobs come back. I know some places offer interviews upon successful completion, but I'm wary of this - an interview is hardly a guarantee, and could easily be an empty promise. What are peoples thoughts on people who fancy becoming new FIs these days?

MartinCh
27th Jul 2010, 01:29
What you're suggesting isn't very viable. Sorry.
AFAIK, Ulster Flying Club also has plenty high time instructors, what you mention as well.
Northern Ireland is a bit small regarding general aviation.
Why not do your CPL and FI rating first and then, at that time, have a look at jobs across Irish Sea or further?

FlyingStone
27th Jul 2010, 07:02
In order to even start CPL modular course, you need 150 hours total time. And in order to start the FI course you need 200 hours total time, of which 100 hours PIC - actually the requirements are the same as for issue of CPL license - as per JAR, of course.

I doubt that in this economy (or any short-term future for that matter) anybody will train you to CPL/FI level just because you seem like a nice guy. The cheapest way to become FI in my opinion is to complete your CPL and then find an FTO which is looking for FI - you could make a deal in which they would pay for FI training (training bond). But even that is quite optimistic, truth be told.

S-Works
27th Jul 2010, 07:12
You have diddly squat chance. Have you seen the state of the economy and the flight training scene? There are thousandsnof unemployed FI's out there with vast experience. What on earth makes you think a green horn is going to be sponsored? Don't even get me started on my view of you gaining experience at someone elses (the poor student) expense.....

mingmongaloo
27th Jul 2010, 13:27
Thanks for the input. I am well aware of the state of the economy and surfeit of FIs around these days, hence my reluctance of going for it at the minute. The reason I would love something in one of the NI schools is that I already have a house over here which I share with my brother, and have access to a car, so I could get by on a part time FI slot (say doing a couple of days a week (which is what the UFC do for all their FIs) and have another job (bar work or something) on top of that. If I was moving to england, which I am prepared to do, I'd have all these extra overheads involved. Do you think it would be better to find a normal job and wait for airlines to start picking pilots up again, or is there a decent chance of me getting a FTO slot as a newly qualified instructor?

chrisbl
27th Jul 2010, 19:49
Having cake and eating it perhaps.

BillieBob
27th Jul 2010, 21:28
Let's get real here - the original question was I'm sounding out options for CPL/CFI (which can't be done at my flying club), and am wondering if there are any places that would take a 45 hour pilot and after training him up then offer him a contractAs FlyingStone pointed out, you need 150hrs TT to start the CPL course and 200 hrs TT to start the FI course - and you have 45!! The answer is NO!!! Nobody in their right mind is going to pay for you to build 155 hrs of experience and then give you a CPL and FI course in the fond hope that you will then honour some sort of bond.

There are dozens, probably scores, of already qualified FIs who would kill for the chance to prostitute themselves to the very flying clubs that you expect to finance your career. You say that you are well aware of the state of the economy and the surfeit of FIs around these days - you clearly have absolutely no idea of the state of the flight training industry or you would not ask such a mind-boggling naive question.

If you really want a career in professional aviation (and, having done it, I think you're certifiable if you do), you should expect to pay, out of your own pocket, for all of the necessary experience and all of the necessary courses (including the first type rating course) so budget somewhere in the region of £100k. I'm not saying that it's right or that it's reasonable, just that it's the way the industry is right now. What is worse is that, as long as there are sufficient people around who can afford, and are prepared, to buy their way into the profession (and there are plenty), it won't change. Oh, sorry, yes it will - EASA's on the way, it'll get worse!

mingmongaloo
28th Jul 2010, 16:35
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about being sponsored through training, I'm talking about paying for the training myself but the package coming bundled with a job offer or interview.

Big Pistons Forever
28th Jul 2010, 16:59
mingmongaloo

Check PM's I have provided a bit of advice for you

dragqueen120
31st Jul 2010, 08:07
Hi, I had 22 hours and a kind lady (miss hackerny plummet) said to me " you seem a nice fella" and then paid for my training up to ATPL theory and CPL FI which saved me about £30k. She then started floating around the room saying "rahhhhhhh" after all this had done I was offered a Job flying 2 identicle twin girls around (aged 19) whos father had hired me to keep an eye on them as they had serious problems with nimphomania and were to be kept out of the way of boys. This has worked out ok. im on £400k per month and me and the girls get on fine. The aircraft is a Triumph spitfire and I get 18 weeks hol a year (which I dont take). So keep the dream alive and ya never know you could be as lucky as me.

PS- can any one cover for me on the 7th of August as my wife is going into hospital for to have a lump removed from her testicle.