PDA

View Full Version : RNP AR

MD83FO
23rd Jul 2010, 08:40
Im a bit lost in this subject as i've flown a VOR CDI or enroute GPS FMS for most of my career, pre-airbus.

i need help with the following

what is RNP AR? (i know what it stands for including RNP SAAAR)
how does flying ILS, VOR or LOC approach raw data, fit here?
what is a GPS app?
a managed LOC or VOR app?
an RNAV (RNP) app?
an RNAV (GNSS) app?

i'd like to understand how this all fits together

hope the questions are clear, ill try to refine as the comments come
thank you!

FE Hoppy
23rd Jul 2010, 12:22
Im a bit lost in this subject as i've flown a VOR CDI or enroute GPS FMS for most of my career, pre-airbus.

RNP AR APRCH is a navigation standard described in the ICAO Performance Based Navigation doc.

They don't They are instrument based approaches each with their own standards.

what is a GPS app?
It's a type of RNAV approach designed to be flown with GPS as the position solution aid. The precise regulations will depend on the Nation or Region of operation.

An Airbus term

an RNAV (RNP) app? The previous ICAO standard which is now being phased out due to too man different interpretations of the concept.

an RNAV (GNSS) app?
As above but requiring the use of sat nav based position solution.

It doesn't.

hope the questions are clear, ill try to refine as the comments come
thank you!

BOAC
23rd Jul 2010, 13:17
MD - I'm not sure FEH actually answered your first question, so you may wish to make your way through some bedtime reading here (http://www.scribd.com/doc/24984037/Getting-to-Grips-With-RNP-AR). It is all of interest but from a piloting pov you could pick it up around p29. You say that you know that 'AR' is 'Authorisation required.'?

aterpster
23rd Jul 2010, 14:12
MD83FO:

what is a GPS app?
an RNAV (RNP) app?
an RNAV (GNSS) app?

Aviation navigation is in the early stages of a transition from ground-based facility navigation to performance-based navigation (PBN). Keep that term "PNB" navigation in mind, because its use will become more prevalent.

Required navigation performance (RNP) is numerical expression of the lateral containment expected in any particular PBN system.

Although there is a high-level concept that PBN and thus RNP is "sensor independent" as a practical matter it is predicated on GNSS (GPS) and, to meet tighter RNP values (lower numbers) augmentation is required, which today consists of either wide area augmentation, local area augmentation, or use of IRUs, which is a form of augmentation and redundancy. Also, RNP AR requires considerably more redundancy in the on-board flight management of navigation than non-AR airframes.

All present RNAV IAPs and RNAV departure procedures will become known as advanced RNP (RNAV) (as opposed to--for lack of a better term) super advanced RNP; aka RNP AR (Authorization Required).

In the case of RNP AR the U.S. TERPs and ICAO PANS-OPS requirements are virtually identical. The airspace protected from obstacles in RNP AR is very flexible, can be very narrow, and the aircraft/flight crew performance must be capable of performing to safe margins within the defined containment areas. This concept is quite different than the historical NDB, VOR, and even ILS procedures.

Further, unlike historical containment area concepts, which decrease incrementally in size as an IAP gets closer to the runway; RNP AR containment areas can, where necessary, decrease to get through a canyon then increase once through the canyon and closer to the runway. This concept does not apply to non-AR advanced RNP (RNAV). Further, as an example of the flexibility of RNP AR one aircraft may be qualified to fly through the canyon whereas another may not be able to fly through the canyon yet be able to fly the final approach via a less demanding initial approach segment that avoids the canyon.

And, hybrid IAPs are on the horizon, such as RNP AR that transitions to wide-area augmentation for the last segment of the final approach (LPV in the U.S.)

deefer dog
23rd Jul 2010, 14:46
Slight thread drift, similar topic, different question.

Precisely what bit(s) of paper am I required to carry in an aircraft that substantiates it is PRNAV approved. Is it a specific Airspace Authorisation, and further what (if any) are the crew training requirements?

Deefer Dog

FE Hoppy
23rd Jul 2010, 15:56
Domain Programme Area
P-RNAV

Equipment Requirement:
RNAV systems capable of + - 1 NM accuracy

ECAC Airspace Requirement:
See EASA AMC 20-5 and FAA 90-96 and JAA TGL10 - Revision 1

JAA Airworthiness or Operational Requirement:
OPS approval required to fly P-RNAV

Remarks:
Currently being introduced (whilst no ECAC-wide mandate for the carriage of P-RNAV is foreseen, some States may require P-RNAV certification for IFR operations in notified terminal airspace).

What you need is an AFM which states the aircraft is certified and an approval in your company ops manual.

deefer dog
23rd Jul 2010, 17:47
Thanks FE Hoppy, is there anything you don't know? Only one further question, we are private, so have no ops manual as such. Is the AFM sufficient, as we fly regularly where P-RNAV is used (but not obligatory).

Deefer Dog

FE Hoppy
23rd Jul 2010, 18:23
Thanks FE Hoppy, is there anything you don't know? Only one further question, we are private, so have no ops manual as such. Is the AFM sufficient, as we fly regularly where P-RNAV is used (but not obligatory).

Deefer Dog

lol, I have no idea about regulations for private ops for a start!:ok:

MD83FO
23rd Jul 2010, 18:39
thank you gentlemen! i found this summary (URL) interesting.

asecna.aero/events/session%204.1%20Mc%20Farlane%20GNSS%20approaches%202.pdf

c100driver
23rd Jul 2010, 21:33
what is a GPS app?
an RNAV (RNP) app?
an RNAV (GNSS) app?

RNP AR is a very different animal as it can include approaches with RF legs and defined GP slopes. Its descent can be based on OCA but is usually VEB (vertical error budget) and as such will have a different charting and minima for aircraft wingspan and or specific type. The AR is because the aircraft, crew, airline procedures all have to be demonstrated to the relevant aviation authority prior to use.

FE is correct that raw data does not fit in as it is all based on onboard navigation with some sensor augmentation.

RNAV (RNP) and RNAV(GNSS) are all RNAV approachs and the brackets define the requirements to fly the approach. i.e. to fly a (RNP) the AFM will require a statment of RNP capability, to fly a (GNSS) it will require a GPS sensor input.

PBN is the overall cover of anything relating to onboard naviagation.
RNAV does not require onboard monitoring or alerting
RNP requires onboard monitoring and alerting and may aslo be required to have a ADS component as well.

Private operations would struggle to gain approval for RNP AR operations as the requirements to demo the ability would take quite a while. Our airline approval required 30 approaches in VMC with data supplied via QAR then another 70 approaches prior to approval. The FAA SAAAR AC is used most as the approval document, and is now included in the ICAO PBN manual almost word or word. Once the first RNP AR operation was approved then further AR approaches were quite straight forward with only a risk assessment and data capture requirements.

aterpster
24th Jul 2010, 01:56
c100driver:
RNP AR is a very different animal as it can include approaches with RF legs and defined GP slopes. Its descent can be based on OCA but is usually VEB (vertical error budget) and as such will have a different charting and minima for aircraft wingspan and or specific type.

The final approach segment must be VEB. The intermediate segment may be VEB. The segments prior to the commencement of the VEB must be designed to have a VNAV profile to make the entire procedure "3D."

The minima are based solely on RNP performance, not aircraft size. But, wingspan is indeed a limiting factor for the visual segment in some circumstances.

Zeffy
24th Jul 2010, 13:33
One way to think about RNP AR is that they are a subset of RNAV procedures -- perhaps as CAT II/III ILS approaches are to Std ILS.

RNP AR implies special aircraft and aircrew authorization, implies FMS, implies GPS and implies VNAV.

In the USA, FAA Advisory Circular 90-101 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/821aca6a248d6aea862570ed00536340/$FILE/AC90-101.pdf) and Order 8260.52 (http://www.faa.gov/about/office%5Forg/headquarters%5Foffices/avs/offices/afs/afs400/afs420/policies%5Fguidance/orders/media/8260.52.pdf) are the authoritative references for RNP AR (aka "SAAAR").

reynoldsno1
26th Jul 2010, 01:06
PRNAV approved
Be aware that there are many places in the world that have RNAV procedures, but have never applied the concept/standard/nomenclature of PRNAV or BRNAV, or have called it something else....