PDA

View Full Version : Lightning strike implications

welliewanger
20th Jul 2010, 05:55
What are the implications of a lightning strike once the aircraft has landed? Checks, tests, maintenance and paperwork etc. Is the aircraft grounded? If so, for how long and how much does it all cost (assuming no real damage was done)

TIA

rubik101
20th Jul 2010, 06:56
As the recipient of a not too unusual or particularly dramatic lightning strike on approach to Rome CIA some years ago I can tell you that a cursory inspection by the crew is no longer sufficient. Noting the pin-pricks of entry points and missing paint from a few dozen rivet heads raised no alarms and the aircraft was flown back to base without further incident.
A Tech Log entry was made and an engineer was called to the aircraft and asked to do a more thourough inspection. He noticed that a single static wick discharger was missing from the port elevator, something we had missed on the walk-around in Rome.
On closer inspection with the aid of a cherry-picker, it was found that the complete base plate of the discharger was missing from the upper surface and several rivets completely missing from the slightly distorted area around the fastenings.
This oversight caused us, the pilots, to be suspended and subsequently disciplined for negligence.
So, the moral is: if you are struck by lightning, ground the aircraft until a thourough inspection is carried out by a suitably qualified engineer, without exception.
Never tell yourself that it was just a small strike, there is no such thing.

Safety Concerns
20th Jul 2010, 07:09
Although I have sympathy for your suspension it was self induced.
The moral is adhere to the regulations.

Where is the basis in law that covers flight crew to override a mandatory inspection?

Lightning strike inspection quote from the maintenance manual:

Before next flight etc. etc

ampclamp
20th Jul 2010, 10:10
Tech log entry should be made, inspections must be carried out iaw the appropriate MM chapters.
The crew should write up any avio defects.If none noted they should write all avio nav gear operating normally otherwise quite detailed avio inspections are required.

I have seen gear doors blown apart by a good hit, flt controls virtually welded together and engine cowl that lookd like it had been straffed by a machine gun.VHF antenna had a hole melted in it. static port slagged.
Damage is not always dramatic or obvious.

rubik should be given a pat on the back for his admission, not castigated.He made a mistake and has paid the price and his post is a lesson to any pilot considering not following procedures when lightning strikes.

TinyTim2
20th Jul 2010, 10:19
As an engineer for the last ***years I can safely say that all strikes should be investigated . Some are minor and the aircraft may be ready to fly in an hour , others can be really serious. An AA Md80 series was struck recently putting a hole 2ft by 1ft in the upper fuse . The aircraft was on approach at the time and wasn't pressurised , but I believe that the fuselage was scrapped !!!!!