PDA

View Full Version : CFI in UAE

japanam
16th Jul 2010, 04:54
Hey all

Been invited for an interview at a flight school in UAE and was looking for inputs before making a decision. I think I've done a lot of my research; am aware of the ups and downs of living in a moderate Muslim country, etc.

My question, what are the prospects of moving into turbine equipment in the UAE if I finish the entire contract? From what I gather, the school will pay for the UAE GCAA license conversion.

I know Emirates would be difficult, most likely impossible; but I was thinking of the smaller operators flying turbine equipment. Any thoughts?

ReverseFlight
16th Jul 2010, 16:39
Are you referring to these guys ? Heard they need instructors :

:: HORIZON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT ACADEMY :: (http://www.horizonuae.ae/introduction.php)

japanam
17th Jul 2010, 14:46
I've got a couple friends working at Horizon. Latest I heard, you need JAA credentials to work at Horizon.

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Jul 2010, 14:55
In general I would not base any decision on a transition from Instructor to Line Pilot.

However there are several operators here, but mostly want hundreds of hours on Turbine types, Jets prefered.

You will need to ciultivate contacts, and hope that in 2 or 3 years when your Instructional contract ends, you are in the right place at the right time.

If Horizon, they are perhaps the better of the bunch.

if a MCL in SJH then the other extreem, except perhaps in FJR.

What ever you do, come here with an open mind, and enjoy life, it aint all as bad as PPrune would suggest.

glf

japanam
17th Jul 2010, 19:29
glf

Thanks for your input. I see where you're coming from and couldn't agree with you more. However, I would think most every body would put a huge amount of weight on career progression prospects when making a decision, especially the older you get.

In my case I am trying to decide whether I should fork out the money for a conversion, not P2F, to a local license as I am FAA certified. The only problem being, this conversion would cost me almost 50,000 USD as Japan has got some really screwed up laws unless you have jet time.

But again, thank you glf for your input. I'll keep you opinion in mind!:ok:

Anybody else with advice? Please keep them coming!

Chinchilla.612
23rd Jul 2010, 19:10
Japanam,
If you're looking at moving out here as an instructor with the aim of moving to another company on charter in the area then I have heard of this having worked before.
However, please do bear in mind that in order to change sponsor (employer) you will need a letter of no objection (NOC) from your first sponsor. If, for whatever reason (maybe they don't want you to leave them), your flight school doesn't want you to go and refuse to give you the NOC then you will not be able to work for any other company in the whole GCC for a couple of years (starting AFTER the completion of your contract).
Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best with it.
Chinchilla.

Gulfstreamaviator
23rd Jul 2010, 19:41
You say you are seeking to convert your FAA licence to a GCAA licence, and that it will cost you 50k us$: and you also say the company will pay.

The conversion from a FAA to GCAA Licence, is in my opinion part of the responsability of the UAE employer. As is visa, etc, etc.

The point made about transfer between companies is very valid, and logic does not enter into corporate decisions.

Let me know if you want more input, if not good luck, you will like Al Ain, that I do promise.

glf