PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to FADEC in the Diamond DA40?

rmdr2
14th Jul 2010, 14:07
Chaps

About to undertake differences training in a Diamond DA40. This will be my first time flying with a FADEC.

Any of you out there know of any educational primers on the use of FADEC in general and/or in the DA40 that I can read before the differences training.

Any top tips flying the DA40 in general would be appreciated too...

thanks

rmdr2

ab33t
14th Jul 2010, 16:33
Just watch the fuel imbalance

rmdr2
14th Jul 2010, 16:50
Huh? more so than any other single tank (at a time) fed system

scoobysnack
14th Jul 2010, 20:11
nothing major, just keep an eye on the fadec auto test warning lights. - oh yeah and a cycling prop.

its a slippery machine and can be hard to lose speed if a rushed approach. one more thing forget the school mumbo jumbo about cruising at 70% its just a ploy to keep you airborne longer than you need.

its a pretty sturdy aircraft unless a C152 decides to bite your tail off.

Have fun. + if you get a chance try the G1000 install.

STBYRUD
14th Jul 2010, 20:37
The DA40 (though I can only really comment on the Lycoming version) was always a joy to fly, very easily controllable, true to its heritage and thus very slippery but not exactly gutsy - don't know if the Diesel is a bit beefier. Scooby is right, you actually have to plan your descent properly, excellent for training in that respect ;)

Spotless
16th Jul 2010, 10:18
From what I remember the fuel only feeds from one tank (the left I think?) and you have a transfer switch to feed the right to the left. Very easy to fly, only 2 flap settings. Watch out taxiing because of bigger than normal wingspan also brakes are quite grabby and probably easy to flatspot tyres if you're a bit keen to stop.

As far as the FADEC goes, try a bit of flight sim before if you can to get used to where to look for what or sit in the real deal.

As Scooby said regarding Cessna's eating your tail off, however they can only generally manage this when you are on the ground.

Best of luck.

rmdr2
16th Jul 2010, 11:49
Thanks fellas!!

Much appreciated.

Noted on the slippery nature of the beast.

I have read a couple of stories of the FADEC suddenly reducing power to about 65% on a long climb, but then self restoring full power after about 30s. Potentially a brown-trousers moment!!!

Any of you guys had worrying moments with sudden changes in power?

scoobysnack
17th Jul 2010, 16:02
don't believe the hype.:eek: