PDA

View Full Version : CRI Course and own skills

XX621
26th May 2010, 16:20
Am shortly commencing a CRI course.

I am wondering to what extent an instructor course will improve own piloting skills. How transferable are the skills acquired in evaluating and teaching another, to oneself for example?

Thoughts from experienced instructors appreciated...

Whopity
26th May 2010, 17:35
With only 3 hours flying on a CRI course there is barely enough time to show you how to pass on the skills and knowledge you should already have. The ground school is quite comprehensive and to a large extent assumes you have at least CPL level knowledge even though this is not a pre-entry requirement.

blagger
26th May 2010, 18:25
A CRI course will really sharpen up your flying skills - for the first time you may fully understand why and how you do certain things! Be prepared to put in groundschool effort before and during though - as a minimum I'd read up on principles of flight and tech subjects in depth. However, the real challenge will be to maintain your instructional standards post the course - I know numerous CRIs who have done little to no instructing post the course.

Duchess_Driver
27th May 2010, 19:32
Second Whopitys post.....

...you really need to be on top form BEFORE you start this course. There is hardly enough time to get through the teaching elements - let alone get flying up to scratch. You need to be comfortable, very comfortable, with the aeroplane and more relevant, comfortable with flying the aeroplane from the other seat.

The course elements do make you consider how you fly and from that point of view, give you a better box of tricks to work from.

IMC1
28th May 2010, 08:53
I completed the CRI course earlier this year with BCFT and found it hugely valuable. Your flying needs to be already excellent, as your focus (and capacity) will be learning to teach. Pre groundschool is essential as you will need to demonstrate CPL knowledge and deliver the same student briefs as full time Instructors.

In addition to my course hours, I managed to complete some mutual flying on the course with a guy on a full instructors course which was very valuable.

PM me if you want to know more

Dr_Tre
5th Jun 2010, 14:19
xx621

Have you discussed the forthcoming changes to CRI rating privileges with your chosen school? I am interested in the course myself but am having some difficulty finding out what restrictions may be placed on the CRI endorsement by EASA.

Also, anyone know of a recommended school which offers CRI courses in the North East (of England) ?

cheers

Whopity
5th Jun 2010, 15:06
but am having some difficulty finding out what restrictions may be placed on the CRI endorsement by EASA.
From EASA -FCL
FCL.905.CRI CRI - Privileges and conditions
(a) The privileges of a CRI are to instruct for:

(1) the issue, revalidation or renewal of a type or class rating for non-complex non high performance single-pilot aeroplanes, when the privileges sought by the applicant are to fly in single-pilot operations;

(2) a towing and/or aerobatic rating for the aeroplane category, provided the CRI holds the relevant rating and has demonstrated the ability to instruct for that rating to an FI qualified in accordance with FCL.905.FI(i).

(b) The privileges of a CRI are restricted to the type or class of aeroplane in which the instructor skill test assessment of competence was taken. The privileges of the CRI shall be extended to further types or classes when the CRI has completed, within the last 12 months:

(1) 15 hours flight time as pilot-in-command on aeroplanes of the applicable class or type of aeroplane;

(2) one training flight from the right hand seat under the supervision of another CRI or FI qualified for that class or type occupying the other pilot’s seat.

Dr_Tre
6th Jun 2010, 11:32
Thanks Whopity :ok:

(b)(1) clearley in contravention of the 900 hour rule surely? ;)

Whopity
6th Jun 2010, 21:48
Should have read 15, the 10 had been amended.

XX621
25th Jun 2010, 10:35
Completed the course and past test a few days ago.

Well, the answer to my original question is yes, the CRI course did certainly polish up my own skills - and also up to date with the latest PPL training standards on PFLs, steep turns, stalling, recovery from unusuals and circuits. I did an extra 2-3 hours with a volunteer in the LHS of my own aircraft to get the demonstrating practice. 3 hrs approved flying training is probably a bit thin in my honest opinion...

Just looking forward to my first flight as an instructor now. Really enjoyed the course, and even more sure about going onto to a full FI next year.