PDA

View Full Version : The obligatory OshKosh thread

VH-XXX
17th May 2010, 06:30
Sooooo.... as the title suggests, who is going to OshKosh this year?

Perhaps we can share itinerary's and catch up for a drink or two etc at a mutually convenient time and place (ie. over-run the bar with Aussies).

Biggles78
17th May 2010, 11:44
Damn, as a K One W One I guess I am excluded then. :uhoh:

In the early 80s I had a tape of the OshKosh tower controlling the incoming and an outgoing flight. Unfortunately it was lost during a move and I haven't been able to obtain a copy or even anything like it again. Those guys were absolutely incredible, a work of art even. Does anyone know of a recording of the OshKosh controllers as they do thier thing on the busy days?

CHAIRMAN
17th May 2010, 13:21
I'll be there:ok:

Spodman
17th May 2010, 23:54
:}I'll be there. 1st time!

triadic
17th May 2010, 23:58
Kelly's bar most nights and the International BBQ where the beer is free.....

Put your card on the board in the international tent

VH-XXX
18th May 2010, 00:28
My first time too :ok:

Another prominent member on here will be there too. Just waiting for him to join in.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to stay in LA for a couple of nights on the way there for a break?

Jabawocky
18th May 2010, 01:03
I guess I must be "Prominent" :} :E

Will be there for 4 or 5 days :ok:

So triadic.....that makes you in charge of the PPRUNE Oz party, so which night and where do we meet?

J:ok:

hillbillybob
18th May 2010, 02:09
wish I was going but it was too close to Farnborough and I had to pick. anyone trying to do both (or Duxford a couple of weeks earlier and then OshKosh)?

airspace alpha
18th May 2010, 02:11
And for all of you going to Oshkosh (or anywhere else in the US for that matter) here's a tip. Go to Queen Vic market or equivalent in your main city and buy a whole load of little koala bears with Aussie flags, the kind tourists buy to clip on their lapels. Cost around $5 for 20. Hand them out to anyone in the service industry you meet- check-in staff, hotel receptionists, bar staff etc etc. Americans love this and you will be amazed how they respond.(like upgrade to a suite my last time in the US)
Also great for bartering all over the Oshkosh site.

VH-XXX
18th May 2010, 02:34
Thanks for reminding me AA. I've also heard that elsewhere.

cogwheel
18th May 2010, 03:24
Agree with AA... you get lots of mileage out of such trinkets....

Staying in LA... there is a few hotels near LAX and some are not too expensive.
Best value in the US is the "Big Blue Bus" which goes from the airport hotels to Santa Monica & Venice beach... worth at least a day. Used to be just $1 each way!

Rule one for OSH... stay the full week - you will still not see it all.

Take good walking shoes and summer clothes as it is hot - take hat etc. It is almost 2miles from Northern warbird park to southern U/L park and you wont do that in a day. A light jumper or jacket for the evenings is a good idea. It may also rain. The TS's there are bottlers!

Obtain a program and find out when things are on and plan your visit to ensure you see what you want.

A small backpack is good to have to carry stuff around and have hands free for looking at stuff you want to buy. Bottle of water is good to have.

Register at the International Tent down near the tower. They will tell u when some of the international events are on, incl the march and BBQ.

Take camera of course. Have at least one spare data card. They are cheap in the US so you can buy some more if you don't have the laptop to transfer pics to. Shoping is good at OSH and there is an outlet center over the highway with lots of good stuff, especially clothes. Make sure your bag is not full when u leave home, it will be on the return!

Go to the museum - allow half a day minimum.

:ok::ok::ok::ok:

QFF
18th May 2010, 07:41
We'll be there! But any suggestions for keeping the wife happy? Any knitting tents or craft displays for The Better Half? A full week at Oshkosh is probably stretching it for those not aeronautically-inclined...

VH-XXX
18th May 2010, 08:09
Do you have kids, grand kids or nieces and nephews? If so, don't forget OshKosh is the home of OshKosh-by-gosh kids clothing brand... That'll keep her busy for a few hours.

fencehopper
18th May 2010, 10:29
I did my first trip in 08 after thinking about it for many years. don't think just go!
Join the EAA if you haven't already member discounts ect.
Hired a car at o'hare and camped to be close to the action.
Travelled light and bought cheap camping gear at walmart everything i needed including camp chair and esky for under a hundred bucks. empty tent and put it in the car as the area will puddle up in rain. donated it all to the south african guys as they return each year and leave their stuff stored.
on site food requires a detox. camp ground security is very good but take usual precautions. amenities are pretty good and more added each year. school buses will take you to various locations around the field including the museum (a day in itself) and seaplane base, (great in the heat of the day)plus into various shops and discount outlets in town. On field there are 'trams' to hop on and off at various points of interest. i gave away many little badges and like others have said it pays but just the warm smile and response is worth it. Banks and post office shipping agents all on site. you can buy a little radio and listen to either the EAA radio or the tower. Airshow every arvo. enjoy the lack of barricades and friendly flight line marshalls. try and get there a day or two early you can wander every where and watch a lot of aircraft arrive.
spend a little extra and fly in something we don't have back home. i did the B17g :ok:. when you walk out at the end of your first day try not to feel like you were born in the wrong country.
On the way back to o'hare i stopped off to visit the harley davidson museum at milwalkie. not a big fan of them but but my two brothers in law wanted a t shirt each. pretty impressive and ended up taking almost 3 hundred photos. keep a weather eye out as it is tornado season.
enjoy

Avid_One
18th May 2010, 11:33
Hi Alpha,

We used that trick last time at Oshkosh.... and we were overwelmed by the trading we could get with the furry little devils as well as Aussie flag lapel pins.

International Dinner was also a treat.

Where is everybody staying?
We are the Christian Uni, about 8 miles from the airport, where are the good eateries & bars from there?
We camped at Camp Schollar last time.

Cheers

Jabawocky
18th May 2010, 12:04
QFF

I found the perfect answer to that. Mrs Jaba is doing this... "The PPRuNer's wifes tour"
Cosmos - EASTERN U.S & CANADA GRAND VACATION (http://www.cosmostours.com.au/eastern-u-s-canada-grand-vacation_tourcode-8200_season-2010_tourid-149933_minor-87_pageview-overview)

Few days in NY before, I go to Oshkosh, then a few days in Washington DC doing the Smithsonianss, then over to Seattle and Oregon and meet p again in SFO for 4 days.

Happy Jaba's! :ok:

triadic
18th May 2010, 12:33
I first went in 82 and have been almost a dozen times since. It is always a hoot and especially for the first timers. It does help however as mentioned above to do some homework and work out a plan of attack... what do you want to see or do... check the program for all the displays and workshops/forums etc. They are on all day, every day so there is plenty to choose from. Take the badges and teddy bears etc... must do advice for traveling in the US. They love that sort of thing. Explore the EAA web site fully. Join EAA.

Some of the must do's have already been mentioned, so I might repeat, but the most important is STAY THE FULL WEEK and get there early if you can.

Plenty of things for the ladies to do and you will be surprised to see how interested they become in aeroplanes (sorry: airplanes..! ) and the people there... it is just so different to what might be expected in Oz.

hints:

Comfortable pair of walking shoes required - casual summer clothes to suit - you will most likely sit on the ground from time to time, so keep that in mind.

Daytime temps will be high twenties to mid thirties C - (85-95F) summer clothes required - something light maybe for night. A light mac is good if it folds small in case of rain - usually a chance of a thunderstorm that time of year. They sell lots of them there so don't worry if you don't take one.

Take hat etc for sun protection

A backpack is a good idea

Camera of course... big lens if you have one and spare data capacity

Staying at the UWO (Uni) is good, but basic. Rooms have two single beds and the facilities are on each floor - Washrooms etc are shared, but usually clean and showers etc are private. There is often late rooms available due to cancellations.

A yellow school bus runs a regular service between the Uni and the grounds for a small charge. You will find out where the stops are on day one.

The Uni have a great Cafe where you can do b'fast, usually all you can eat for around $7 or $8. A big b'fast might save lunch?? Lots of places to eat on the grounds, but not much variety - burgers chips, and salads etc. Being at the Uni, you are close to town and there is a few good places to eat not far away. There is a tavern in the main street called "the Roxy" which has the greatest grain fed steak. (It is marked on Google Maps at 571 North Main Street) worth at least one visit. There is a bar near the Uni (short walk) by the name of "Kelly's" in Wisconsin St (near the corner of High Ave if you look on Google maps). It is a popular spot and a lot of Ozzies go there. Gets a bit like a Zoo late tho'.

At the grounds, the EAA give you a wrist band to wear for the week to show you have paid. It is plastic and will last the week ok.

Obtain a program and check the map out as well as what is on... check if there is anything of specific interest and note those times for a visit to that site.

There is lots of displays and in 4 large hangar like buildings there are many traders selling their goods - aeroplane bits to jewelry and clothing etc. You name it, it is bound to be there....

Not far from the control tower is a large white and yellow marque know as the "international tent" where all the international visitors congregate. Go there on day one and register your name for Australia. you will receive a name badge etc. There are two events during the week that involve the international visitors and you should find out when they are to be held and then go. First one is the international march where all the international visitors line up behind their country flag and march down to a building about 200m away to be welcomed by the President of the EAA or his deputy. It is a fun hour and you usually get to see all the other travellers.
The second event is an international BBQ they have at a site not far from the main gate - in the woods towards the EAA museum. It is a free feed and some beer for a few hours - but don't be late as it is very popular.

The EAA Museum is up near the highway ( Highway 41) and is a must visit. Very well put together and with lots of interesting aircraft on display. Check if your show entry gives you entry to the museum, often it does. Plan your visit during the week and maybe in the am hours. Again the yellow bus will take you there and back to the grounds.

Across the highway is an Outlet Center with about 100 shops. Range is good and prices usually well below Oz, even considering exchange rates. Some goods are better than duty free prices. There is a regular yellow bus that goes there and back from the grounds.

Don't worry too much about your return to Chicago as there is usually plenty of folk going there after the show and I have never found it hard to get a ride. It is about a 3 hr drive. Give yourself a day to do it as you don't want to have to rush at the last moment. There is always the Greyhound bus which goes from the old terminal on the north side of the airport. I usually plan to have a night in LA before heading home. Plenty to do there.

After doing the bus etc I now rent a car from ORD and keep it for the week. The rates are good and the flexibility on site is wonderful - also a trunk to put your goodies in during the day, tho parking can be some distance from the action. Enterprise I found give a good deal.

Enjoy!

CHAIRMAN
18th May 2010, 13:17
Can vouch for the Roxy:ok:
In fact this year the Roxy is the host for the International DeHavilland Assoc annual dinner and all around pissup! All rag and bag devotees can attend, subject to ticket availability. I'll be there, but Jaba probably won't want to go though - he'll most likely be attending some Retard Vehicle aluminium symposium.
Anyone looking for accom - large private house on the lake, mostly an all aussie turnout of tenants. Walking distance to the show, pool,no shortage of beer fridges. About $60-$65US night, and if you're nice, washing can be done, basic brekky provided, and transport for inebriated visitors can often be arranged. Let me know (usual disclaimers).
All previous tips are good. I've particularly enjoyed attending some of the workshops and lectures. Certainly join the EAA before going - membership entitles you to free admission to the museum (a full day if you get up late).
I generally buy/beg a lightweight walking stick'folding chair, which I either lose or redonate to the cause - invaluable for watching the afternoon airshow.

Jabawocky
18th May 2010, 22:45
very funny Mr Chair.

I had been invited along by my friendly moth mate.....the owner of the lovely yellow and blue one Chimbu Chuck has been showing off recently. I was told they even let in us aluminium and glass folk.....sounds like a recycle bin does it not?:ooh:

Jabawocky
3rd Jun 2010, 22:17
If anyone was thinking of going and the airfare was a bit much, check this out.

V Australia > Best Fares (http://www.vaustralia.com.au/bookings/best-fares/index.htm?CMP=EMC-VBFastFare3June2010&attr=VAbestfares)

Some times it does pay to wait till the last minute.:{

Mind you finding a bunk may be the next challenge.

FoxtrotAlpha18
4th Jun 2010, 02:02
Maybe this clip can wet your appetites...

YouTube - Airventure 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKU0uQki5Dc&feature=player_embedded)

:ok::ok::ok:

CHAIRMAN
6th Jun 2010, 13:36
Thanks Fox, absolutely great filming and editing:ok:
Your film shows the great variety and quality of the aircraft and flying displays there, and the thing I also notice about Oshkosh more than any other show is that it's attended almost exclusively by current/past pilots and aviation enthusiasts.
The aircraft are not cordoned off, you are free to wander through the whole aircraft parking areas - apart from the flight line, there is nothing off limits.
Almost everyone in the crowd there has some direct involvement in the aviation fraternity, and only too willing to share their story.
I think that's why EAA and Oshkosh week is so successful.
Cheers

triadic
6th Jun 2010, 13:47
Mind you finding a bunk may be the next challenge.

I would not be too worried..... there is usually cancellations at the Uni.

You have to go there as soon as you arrive in town and put your name down for a room and you may not get the key till late in the day.

If flying in via LAX, go to ORD and rent a car for the week.

Check the EAA site out for the "accommodation hot line" which arrange billets etc. Always good value. Might cost you a phone call or two to arrange.

cheers

CHAIRMAN
7th Jun 2010, 11:50
I'm looking to share a rent-a-car from ORD this year! Any takers?
Excellent digs at Oshkosh can be arranged if needed (not the uni)

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2010, 12:56
I booked a car for a few days at Tucson after Osh Kosh this year thinking I would be cool to get something American so I booked a Pontiac G5, cool.

Driving through Laverton yesterday, am passed by a Left Hand Drive Pontiac G5. It's a bloody COMMODORE!!! Felt quite ripped off! Might have to change my booking to something actually American.

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2010, 13:53
Sorry Owen, I forgot that was your end of town. I'll ask permission next time I'm in your area too.

Anyways, (as the youth of today would say), I'm all booked, couldn't get the A380 over so going via Kiwi land on clapped out old 743, couple a days in LA, over to Milwaukee, catch up with Jaba's crew, 5 days at Airventure, over to Tucson, boneyard, road-trip in Commodore to Vegas via Grand Canyon and Hoover, couple of nights in the mighty Vegas and back home on the A380.

Let's hope my 2 internal flights on Air Tran and Frontier aren't flights to remember for all the wring reasons!

All up $3k for Airventure tickets, flights, buses, accom, Universal studios and hirecars. Not including food and fuel. No bad as that is two whole weeks away and staying in Marriott and some other half decent places.

Jabawocky
7th Jun 2010, 21:42
743 I gather is tongue in cheek at the 744.....coz we got none of them oldies left now!

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2010, 22:57
Yeah, either way it will be an old banger given it's based in NZ.

HarleyD
7th Jun 2010, 23:10
Oshkosh....

Echo many of tridic's advice re comfy summer clothing (with lightweight spray jacket for those thundery afternoons) and comfy shoes especially. slouch hat will mark you as an aussie for sure, but that is ok at OSH.

have always done self FIFO, and that is fun in itself.

don't miss international tent and aussie night. Every night is aussie night at Kelly's of course.

The uni is ok for sure, I have stayed in far worse accomodation in eastern bloc countries and the sub continent, where that would be 4 star. Get stuck in at brekky and you will get through the day better. Remember to bus your own tables.

Take Money.

yank beer is generally cat's p!ss as you all no doubt know, but beware of the likes of samual adams. this does not usually come in a tanker like the beer does at OSH. we cleaned the truck out at the after show participants party one year and were personna not grata, as this is not the done thing at US aviation events. Jimmy Franklin, Bobby Younkin and Jim Leroy all were wildly amused by our efforts, as they had experienced the aussie drinking team previously, but most others (including the skydiving team) were a bit taken aback with the concentrated onslaught on the beer truck and indifference to the trays of weiners that constituted the tucker. Shame that the Masters of Disaster are no more after the untimely ends of the above three, but man was that an airshow act!

walk all the aircraft parks you can and you will generall be rewarded with some real gems.

Enough warbirds for anyone and I especially like the replica racers that seem to abound at this event. things like the Laird super solution and other types with little wings and big engines (not just GeeBees!)

No Bundy to be found Spodman, you will have to make do with the local brew, and the occaisional sip of maker's mark.

take more money. ride the train. ride the B17, ride the ford, talk to anyone, it's a blast.

Not going this year as i have event right near davis monthan the week before and then have to scoot to Farnyburra for my first look at that one instead of OSH, too hard to do both, but I would love to try.

You do not need to say "Crikey" all the time and stuff like "that's not a knife" is a bit passe in the uni canteen, especially if holding a spoon in full view, they will sus you for an Aussie even without the hangover, sunburn and cloud of alcohol fumes hanging around your entourage, though learning a few useful phrases like "billabong me wallabies cobber, I'll just take a pew on these toowoomba's while I loosen the swaggies on me numbats" will be sure to impress those svelte blonde girlies.

Have fun, I'm sure you will.

HD

F24
8th Jun 2010, 01:27
FoxtrotAlpha18 & Chairman- the YouTube - Airventure 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKU0uQki5Dc) video was done by a friend of mine. "Slick" was a 17yo Senior in High School when he did the video last summer. He flies acro in a Pitts and is now a student at Texas A&M University and a Naval ROTC midshipman. He's spending most of his summer with the US Navy & Marine Corps, hope his orders allow him to make it to Oshkosh.

Jabawocky
26th Jun 2010, 08:52
needs some words......not many sleeps now!:)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nog0cqw-v7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nog0cqw-v7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

VH-XXX
26th Jun 2010, 11:01
There had better not be too many Retard Vehicles there otherwise I'll be p!ssed off !

Jabawocky
26th Jun 2010, 13:07
.......we'll I reckon you will be then :}

tric
27th Jun 2010, 09:23
YouTube - World's Busiest Control Tower conversations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnIIkL4AJNc&feature=related)

CHAIRMAN
27th Jun 2010, 14:32
Retard Vehicles!!!..............you've gotta get dark sunnies to stop the reflections from off all that Alummmmmmmmm in the RV park:cool:

Jabawocky
28th Jun 2010, 01:03
...........:E:E:E:E:}:}:}:}

Andy_RR
28th Jun 2010, 01:40
MEL-ORD-MEL = £803.60 - that's very tempting...

skipper1981
28th Jun 2010, 02:19
Last year they had a live "runway cam"complete with ATC.Just Google EAA Airventure and follow the links.There is,of coarse,a time difference with Australia.It was awsome to watch and listen to.

skipper1981
28th Jun 2010, 02:31
I am going again this year.Have stayed at the UWO,but found the hot nights a bit trying! This year am staying in a motel at Appleton,about 30 kms away.Lamers coaches have a shuttle from Appleton to Aiventure each day.Also flyng with QF via SFO this time as I cant stand LAX.Internal flying from SFO to ATW with Delta.Lots of good info on this thread hawever which will help first timers.If your interested in Aviatiion,you wont be dissapointed!

fencehopper
28th Jun 2010, 10:11
I did the B17g flight. good buzz sitting up in the nose over flying airventure. The rec van area is top right i'd say covering as big as area as the show.
YouTube - Overflying Airventure in B17g Bomber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ul_J43HBI)

VH-XXX
29th Jun 2010, 12:38
The twin GNS530's in the B17 are a nice touch :ok:

OEM... :D

DUXNUTZ
29th Jun 2010, 12:51
Any Aussie flying anything into Oshkosh this year? I might be dragging a 172 in there. Currently live in Milwaukee so if anyone is in the area drop me a line!

I saw an extremely old monoplane with a VH rego in there last year.

Scion
29th Jun 2010, 20:16
That was me and why didn't you say hello?
I would like to get back this year and I envy all you lot who are going. Perhaps next year?

and there were 2 of them VH-UUR and VH-ACG

Jabawocky
8th Jul 2010, 11:50
Has anyone found a source of prepaid "phone & data" sim cards in the USA. I have always used my phone for phone calls but never worried about internet, but for Oshkosh I am sure i will need it to at least post pictures for the rest of you back home!;)

From my initial searches you can do it with contracted accounts like here, but what about a prepaid data and phone.

Any suggestions from those who have done this?

VH-XXX
8th Jul 2010, 11:59
I've been looking all over for this.

Workmate with iPhone and iPad just came back and said that you simply can not do it without a contract and to get one you need a social security number. Still worth searching - I may have found one but it was $200 for 100mb.

Telstra charges around $40 for 8mb. Best bet would be to use wireless when ever available.

I was thinking if you could get data you could buy a skype number here, divert your mobile and run skype on the iPhone 24x7. Would be the most cost effective if you could get a data card.

F24
8th Jul 2010, 19:25
Buffalo Airways DC-3 Pre-Oshkosh Video-
http://www.eaa.org/video/eaa.html?videoId=110918534001 (http://www.eaa.org/video/eaa.html?videoId=110918534001)
They’re flying 2 down, 1 for the PAX, 1 for the camping gear!

Boy, that’s doing Oshkosh in style!

djpil
8th Jul 2010, 21:09
In 2008 my solutions were:
1. a pre-paid sim for my wife's phone - we had it before we left Australia USA MAX SIM Card (http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=LSIM-US02)
2. I bought a pre-paid phone with enuff calls/data to easily last me the month in the USA. I had a look at Verizon but got a better deal from a small local company called Silverstar.
Neither wanted more than my credit card details and address. Both solutions worked well.

spirax
8th Jul 2010, 23:57
there is always McDonalds Wifi....

Minosavy Masta
9th Jul 2010, 10:54
Free Wi Fi on site...ALL over Camp Scholler..:hmm:

spirax
25th Jul 2010, 03:50
Two days to go... where are u guys??:ok::ok:

Jabawocky
25th Jul 2010, 04:28
In NYC....and Beachking has beenplaying up as per usual!:}

Broadband here sucks....Telstra and ohers are awesome:ok:

STBY for more:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
25th Jul 2010, 05:59
Three days of torrential rains have left much of Wittman Field at Oshkosh in seriously soggy condition just as AirVenture arrivals are picking up. Some aircraft were being diverted on Saturday evening to land at other airports in the area.

Sounds like ya shoulda brung your wellies, Jaba:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jul 2010, 13:47
I hear Oshkosh has become Sloshkosh!

Blame Jaba!

It was dry until he headed that way. :E

Dr :8

VH-XXX
26th Jul 2010, 15:31
Forky you are jumping the guy with your false rumours!

Jaba arrives at OshKosh in around 6 hours from now into Green Bay. The XXX crew is currently approx somewhere near overhead Denver enroute Milwaukee on board Airtran 737-800 with $7.95 Internet, not bad and faster than my home Internet in Melbourne.

For those with iPhones there is a LiveCam app with user controllable views of oshKosh airport, pretty cool.

Pharcarnell
26th Jul 2010, 19:35
Just got off that bird after 34 hours in tin cans with a few short breaks here and there.
Were they the "Very-much-worse-for-wear" row all totally zonked after playing up all night in LALA land????

Great arrival, got towed into Aeorshell square and met by Paul himself, with a few hundred rubbernekking yanks watching on. Very friendly lot.
Some very interesting heavy metal to go and look over in the next few days.

VH-XXX
26th Jul 2010, 22:16
Jaba and Beechking have probably just arrived in time for the Chicago concert.

XXX is waiting an extra 2 hours stuck in Milwaukee because stupid Amtrak changed their bus schedule by 3 hours. Arrrggh.

Jabawocky
27th Jul 2010, 04:32
Not too soggy underfoot.

Weather is good and this joint is pretty huge.

The retard Vehicles out number everything.....closely followed by them funny Fork Tailed things! :uhoh:

Pics will follow.....but Beach just pored a Bundy so hoo roo!

VH-XXX
27th Jul 2010, 05:35
Jaba is a big man. A couple of Corona pre-cursors and two bundys and he was done for the night.

Jabawocky
27th Jul 2010, 12:27
XXX can't count.......3 Corona's, Two Beachie strength Rumbo's, as we are on rations now as the bag chuckers managed to kill one of the 3 Bundy 1125ml bottles....:{

His luggage smells wonderful!

And I note on public record XXX chickened out of generous Bundy offerings. :E

Jamair
27th Jul 2010, 14:25
JABA You bugger, you coulda taken me too!:sad: I coulda provided a personal protection service....cheep:ouch:. Ya gotta watch out for all them gangsters and stuff over there - if anyone starts shooting just hide behind Beachy.:E

Have fun.

Homesick-Angel
27th Jul 2010, 14:32
For those with iPhones there is a LiveCam app with user controllable views of oshKosh airport, pretty cool.

Whats the app called?..Im listening to the steady stream of aircraft arriving and could do with a little video to go with it...

VH-XXX
27th Jul 2010, 20:44
Live cams.A white icon with a picture of earth in the middle.

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jul 2010, 05:39
Jet Impacts Runway At Oshkosh (http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/EAAAirVenture2010_JetImpactsRunwayAtOshkosh_202972-1.html)

I blame Jaba! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

walschaert valve
28th Jul 2010, 05:45
nice juxtaposition of the new and the old there....

PLovett
28th Jul 2010, 07:46
Re the Premier in bits................

"A bit late on the roundout Hoskins" :ok::}

OZBUSDRIVER
28th Jul 2010, 08:26
N6JR

That particular aircraft belongs to a very high time Nascar team and the guy does a LOT of aviating Jack Roush (http://www.roushfenway.com/)

OK, record set straight....:ok:

PLovett
28th Jul 2010, 16:09
OZ, it would also seem that it is his third aircraft crash. :uhoh: :eek:

Premier Jet Crash At Oshkosh — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4879556)

AussieO2
29th Jul 2010, 04:05
Same guy owns the Mustang (prop) "Old Crow", which is also on the field.

VH-XXX
29th Jul 2010, 04:13
In typical OshKosh fashion all evidence was quickly removed from the crash site. What crash?????

OZBUSDRIVER
29th Jul 2010, 07:03
PLovett...ouch, pretty charitable mob, aren't they?

PLovett
29th Jul 2010, 07:57
Ah OZ, like a pack of pirañas on a drowning beast. :sad:

I am forever amazed just how uncharitable a lot we are when it comes to others misfortunes especially when they know absolutely nothing about the circumstances. :=

Mind you it would seem from some of the actual witness that the aircraft got low and slow on the approach and the pilot took some aggressive correcting action and the aircraft is not conducive to such handling. :uhoh:

However, despite that the crash was survivable and both occupants were able to walk off. Also noted that the door was also able to be opened and not jammed shut from any distortion. :ok:

PA39
29th Jul 2010, 10:06
i have always found that the faster they are the more unforgiving they are. i feel for the poor guy. Couldn't start to imagine how he feels. Earns his crust at full stick in an auto and nearly does himself in whilst landing his jet!!:uhoh:

VH-XXX
29th Jul 2010, 17:42
Earns his crust at full stick in an auto and nearly does himself in whilst landing his jet!!

For the SECOND time mind you! This is the second jet he has broken, last one landed in water.

PA39
29th Jul 2010, 22:09
XXX Yeah....and he's bent a few auto's too! but still regarded as one of the best.

VH-XXX
31st Jul 2010, 05:15
Moment-Of-Impact Photos Of Roush Crash (http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/EAAAirVenture2010_JackRoushCrash_MomentOfImpact_203026-1.html#gallery)

OZBUSDRIVER
31st Jul 2010, 06:30
HAHAAHAAHAAAHAAHAAHROFLOL:}

THE photo of the century...and they run:ok:

Bet the guy actually with the presence of mind to keep steady is pissed these chooks ran across his subject.

Mind you, speed and trajectory...that sucker would cover some distance in seconds if it skidded and didn't dig in...still funny seeing the absolute naked fear in their eyes.

j3pipercub
31st Jul 2010, 06:51
Beautiful!

Arnold E
31st Jul 2010, 07:24
.still funny seeing the absolute naked fear in their eyes.
You got better vision than I have. ( or different photos ):hmm::hmm:

VH-XXX
1st Aug 2010, 00:31
On another note, no doubt the organizers (and aircraft owners) would be disappointed as only 5 of the 50 aircraft sold at the auction today at OshKosh.

The international dinner was great. Caught up with a few fellow Ppruners, you know who you are!

fernytickles
9th Aug 2010, 01:36
For the SECOND time mind you! This is the second jet he has broken, last one landed in water.

AirCam? Jet? :confused:

VH-XXX
10th Aug 2010, 11:08
Now I HAVE seen it all!

Only in America!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/gay.jpg

Jabawocky
10th Aug 2010, 17:41
Did you sign up? :E

Says Jaba sitting in a Hotel room in SFO!!:\

PLovett
10th Aug 2010, 23:00
Well Jaba, was that your Australian flag left on the display, just beneath the German one. :} :ok:

Jabawocky
11th Aug 2010, 05:45
Not Likely!!!!!!! :}

Chimbu chuckles
12th Aug 2010, 04:27
I dunno - was chatting to our mate Jaba last night on skype and he'd just got back from the Gay part of SFO - and was in possession of a gay tourist guide for SFO - presented to him by Beechking, or so he CLAIMS.

They're are airborne en-root SFO-YSSY on Quaintar$e as we speak so he can't defend himself for the next 16hrs or so.

Hey not that he should have to...far be it for me...to each his own....none of our business...WHY EMMM CEEE AYE...but he does own a poofter plane:E:}:ok:

VH-XXX
12th Aug 2010, 04:36
If he does swing his prop both ways, that's great for what he wants... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PA39
12th Aug 2010, 08:05
Looks like the bloke on the left is looking for a ring gear? :\

VH-XXX
12th Aug 2010, 09:07
For some reason for me the most amusing part of the pic is the silver writing on the far right side (placed vertically).

Chimbu chuckles
13th Aug 2010, 06:25
Although - as Jaba pointed out - someone with XXX as his name loitering at the gay pilots web booth? :E

VH-XXX
13th Aug 2010, 06:59
Sorry Chuckles you weren't here to talk with them, however I'm sure you can catch them on grinder if you have an iPhone. Jaba is getting an iPhone shortly.

Chimbu chuckles
13th Aug 2010, 07:15
Hahahahah:ok:

triadic
13th Aug 2010, 11:49
VH-XXX said:

The international dinner was great. Caught up with a few fellow Ppruners, you know who you are!

It was good to catch up with XXX and some other Pruners that night.
Yes, a week home and only just starting to recover! :):)

My 10th time (I must be nuts!)(luv it!!) and it is a must-do for anyone with an interest in aviation and aeroplanes.... (not airplanes!!!):ok::ok:

Last week of July every year, and rule one is stay for the full week.....

Jabawocky
13th Aug 2010, 12:06
Good to meet you too.......you serial offender!..........10 times....:eek:

VH-XXX
19th Aug 2010, 11:24
Wal, what were thinking by way of souvenirs?

Shirts $18-$40
Oshkosh hat $15

Beechking's bottle of bundy smashing in his checked baggage enroute Oshkosh - priceless!

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2010, 12:27
Not only pricelss, his hotel in Washinton DC was just down the street from the Oz Embassy.....we contemplated a request for emergency relief aid.....1 x Bundy Bottle.

As it was we had to settle for Wild Turkey.............bloody bag snatchers!

BEACH KING
20th Aug 2010, 06:52
Friggin bag snatchers!!!

It's just the sheer waste and feeling of emptiness....that is then replaced by cold stark reality, as you realize that you have to survive 3 weeks in the USA with only 2 litres of Bundy Rum.
I probably could have managed (just) by myself,...but Jaba is a Bundy Grog Monster!!

And Chuck..It's not true about the gay tourist guide thing. Jaba was attracted to that publication all by himself..and then he put it in my carry-on to bring home. Bastard.

VH-XXX
20th Aug 2010, 06:56
I heard that they tried to spread the beds apart whilst they were sleeping in the same room so that no rumours started. Obviously that was unsuccessful.

Jabawocky
20th Aug 2010, 07:08
Mrs Jaba was the one who had the nasty sense of humour! ;)

BEACH KING
20th Aug 2010, 07:39
Well, my apologies then. I will have a word with Mrs Jaba in due course.

I'd better stop this bitch'in. It doesn't shine us in a favourable light to this unfounded innuendo XXX is spruiking.

Jabawocky
20th Aug 2010, 08:43
That XXX speak with Forked Tongue!

And to think the genorosity of us to let him partake in thy precious nector of the Bundy Gods :ooh:

VH-XXX
20th Aug 2010, 08:54
Don't associate me with no Forktail!!!

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Aug 2010, 11:02
Oh 3X, don't be like that!

Use your imagination - what does this remind you of? :E

http://www.fototime.com/E82DC5C1C942F8A/standard.jpg

VH-XXX
20th Aug 2010, 11:26
Use your imagination - what does this remind you of?

If it's not mine, don't get in it.

VH-XXX
26th Aug 2010, 05:18
Just got my Telstra phone bill from the US.

$20 alone in "air time." Thieves!

Jabawocky
26th Aug 2010, 06:50
Stop ya whinging.....insert a 6 infront of your bill and it will be close to mine...plus GST! :uhoh:

Jabawocky
26th Aug 2010, 12:46
Yes I know......cant show you his face!

gQQmhEJ0kSA

VH-XXX
7th Sep 2010, 22:30
Good 5 minute video of OshKosh here:

Oshkosh 2010 (http://marcbrecy.perso.neuf.fr/Oshkosh.html)