PDA

View Full Version : Control Column Inputs

markc80
15th May 2010, 07:44
Hey,

I'm a total novice with zero hours flying time - just starting to do my PPL with the goal of flying a 737 as a far off and expensive dream. Anyway, just thought I'd ask about this:

I've noticed from watching videos on Youtube of pilots either in a simulator or real aircraft, that when doing a manual landing their inputs to the control column seem to be pretty jerky.

Here's an example YouTube - 737 cockpit video - takeoff and landing practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpFbBqfVrs)

I'll try some manual landings like that with X-Plane & see what happens How does making small and rapid inputs to the flight controls work...? I wouldn't have thought they'd affect the flight path that much. The only reference point I have at the moment is thinking if I moved the steering wheel like that in my car while at speed, I'd be dead - it's gotta be smooth and slow.

One of the biggest things I am getting my head around is how much of flying is just procedural and how much of it is about having a feel for the aircraft and being able to control it instinctively based on your experiences. Obviously if the guy in the video is making such "rapid" movements with the yoke then he's getting a lot of physical feedback (as well as from the HSI).

Not sure if I'm making any sense but I thought I'd try and get an answer:O

Thanks

411A
15th May 2010, 10:54
How does making small and rapid inputs to the flight controls work...?

Quite well, actually.
Example.
The flying pilot sees a small deviating trend developing.
Inorder to keep this trend from becoming greater, small/rapid inputs are made to correct the deviation.
IE: completely normal

welliewanger
15th May 2010, 11:11
I can't see the video (China won't let me see youtube... it's blocked).

Don't think that rapid control inputs are a "technique". It's more a question of doing what's required when it's needed (most of the time only small inputs are required, including during landing). When landing you're going slower, so the controls have less air going over them, so larger inputs are required. People say that the controls are "sloppy" or less sensitive. Depending on the conditions (e.g. strong / gusty winds) significant control inputs may be required just to keep the wings level. This sort of thing you "just learn" and don't actually think about.

One thing I've seen some people do (on both large and small aircraft) is "pumping" the elevator during the flare. So far I haven't been able to find a good reason for doing this and have put it down to poor technique.

Blinkz
15th May 2010, 11:26
Actually I disagree about the car, when driving you are making similar constant adjustments to steering wheel and it is the same in an aircraft. It looks jerky just because the feel of the controls is different to a car. In a car you are making lots of tiny adjustments, barely moving the wheel, more like pressure in fact. In an airliner you generally need to make bigger adjustments to get the required effect.

PENKO
15th May 2010, 20:27
Compare it to driving slowly on a road full of holes and bumps: very different jerky movements of the steering wheel compared to driving fast on a highway.

Same with flying during the approach in turbulence vs. flying in the cruise.

markc80
16th May 2010, 22:17
Thanks to everyone who replied, I think I understand now.

PPL isn't getting off to a good start - looks as if there'll be no flying tomorrow for me as Norwich is closed. Is there even ash at 3000ft??? :*

Bullethead
17th May 2010, 01:36
G'day Markc80,

I agree with all the previous posters and add that it looks they are flying in fairly choppy conditions which can lead to quicker control inputs, also it could have a little to do with personal technique.

Some pilots have a more relaxed style and operate the controls really smoothly while others are a little more urgent which tends to result in more rapid control inputs.

Regards and good luck with your training, it's a long arduous road but we've all done it and it's well worth the effort,
BH.

Chesty Morgan
17th May 2010, 08:04
There are low input pilots and there are high input pilots.

High input pilots tend to correct every little tiny deviation immediately.
Low input pilots are a bit more gentle.

Some pilots,as soon as the automatics are taken out, feel the need to start wanging the control column around and this often leads to self induced turbulence and can sometimes lead to a bit of a rough ride.

All of that aside if you imagine a cone, with the pointy end stuck on the ground, and on about a 3 degree angle from the horizontal you have a pretty good picture of your ILS deviation limits. Now if you're 10 miles out, in the big end of the cone, you find yourself with a fair bit of space between the walls of the cone so quick and accurate corrections aren't really necessary. The closer you get to landing, the pointy end, you can picture the cone narrowing, you have less space to mess around in so you have to make quicker corrections to ensure you keep an accurate approach path, hopefully aiming for the touchdown zone. So you'll find the closer to landing you are the more you'll be correcting your flight path. And as has been said before you need a bigger input at a lower speed to get the same rate of pitch and or roll. Throw in some wind and bumps and you can easily imagine you have to be pretty positive with your inputs.

Some people are really good at this and are smooth and precise and some just aren't.

Checkboard
17th May 2010, 11:07
Personally, I consider wagging the controls about in a constant movement a Bad Habit and generally a sign of not being in tune with the aircraft. Never seen a really good stick & rudder pilot with this habit.

Pugilistic Animus
17th May 2010, 13:20
feel what the plane is doing and make it do what you want, but gently...and sometimes you have to take charge of the ol' b***ch though...

for example, if you have a vertical gust [like a thermal] in the pattern
you may feel that the plane is wanting to bank...or even wanting to roll overinverted especially..if you are going slow so you may require a full aileron input to keep level looking at the natural horizon or Attitude indicator..you will see level flight

I can't stress enough how important it is to feel the airplane

don't rush but some conditions, like the low level stall buffeting, that you'll encounter require immediate positive but not necessarily] overly aggressive action...some events may require very aggressive action...take this road slowly and really learn how to fly. Learn your airplane's systems, airport procedures and good airmanship..read Wolfgang Langwieche's 'Stick and rudder' and learn how to maintain trim for steady level coordinated flight...there's much more but we are all continously learning:)

Good Luck:ok: