PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind and hover performance

Stuck_in_an_ATR
26th Apr 2010, 06:38
Is there any difference in power required for hover between left and right crosswind? My thinking is that (for counterclokwise rotating blades), with left x-wind, one would need less of left pedal and hence, less power would "eaten up" by the TR. Or is it that the power required by the TR is the same, just different pedal deflection is required to achieve it?

Cheers!

Stuck in a fixed-wing :}

Dantruck
26th Apr 2010, 06:57
Yes, power required differs, not because of direction of rotation per say, but because of direction of thrust.

That said, we rotorheads have the advantage over you plank drivers in that we can always simply turn into wind (minimum power required) and hover-taxi sideways...Simples:ok:

Dan

tony 1969
26th Apr 2010, 07:24
please see here
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/300955-helicopter-urban-myths.html
plus it would be fun to get this going
AGAIN:ouch:

Dantruck
26th Apr 2010, 08:52
You are correct, of course, Um... lifting... . When I said 'always' I meant it in the general sense; that this can be considered an option, not the literal sense.

Of course your average angry palmtree can also taxi backwards, but as my instructor told me, there's no future in it. I'm willing to bet an ATR can taxi backwards under its own power, though. Am I right Stuck_in_an_ATR ??

Dan:ok: