PDA

View Full Version : Checklist/SOP usage in SEP

FlyingStone
19th Apr 2010, 20:45
Hi!

I've been discussing this topic with other pilots, who were trained in different flight schools by different instructors and I discovered that the usage of checklists varied from zero to maximum possible...

Many flight schools and instructors (mostly those who only train PPL students) think, that by looking at checklists in flight you divide your attention and therefore aren't fully focused on what you should be - flying, so the "best" and the "only" proper way is to learn normal operations checklists by heart, so that you don't get distracted during flight... So virtually, the entire flight takes place without single reference to checklists...

On the other hand, some flight schools use SOPs even for the most simple non-complex SEP aircraft (e. g. C172) and is taught from lesson no. 1 onwards and there are requirements to use standard checklists for all phases of flight (climb, cruise, descent, before landing, landing checklists), regardless of type of flight (even traffic patterns).

My opinion is that the best way lies somewhere in between... No checklists at all way seems to leave quite large opportunity for error (forgetting items or their order in checklists), while on the other hand doing 5 checklists for every traffic pattern actually distracts you from flying... I also believe that for every flight student that wants to do CPL/IR later, the best way to learn checklists/SOP adherence is that he is taught that from first minute of the flight during PPL course, since it is easy to learn something from scratch than forgetting one philosophy and than learning something you already know - just the other way...

What do you think?

OneIn60rule
19th Apr 2010, 21:05
Where to most accidents happen?

I believe it was stated as being upon arrival and even departure.

The circuit is the best example of something where you wouldn't want to be looking at the check list if say there are 6 aircraft in the circuit.

However having said that, glancing over your list to check you did the lot isn't what I would say "harmful". The harm comes if you haven't got the flow of the list and start to read each item for a rather extended period of time...

I'll be honest and say that I was taught to memorize the checks. Do the checks then check the list at the end to make sure I didn't miss anything. Now however I simply teach the checks, have the student memorize them.

When on the ground it's all by the checklist-Power check-Pretakeoff etc.

So my thoughts, if someone wishes to glance over to check he/she ticked all items and doesn't stop flying the airplane-good.
If he knows the checks by heart and flies the plane-good.

DFC
19th Apr 2010, 21:53
The problem is that there is general confusion regarding SOPs / Flows and checklists.

A simple example;

Most schools will have a section of their extensive list what they call a "Shutdown Checklist".

This "Checklist" can have 20 items and the pilot is sitting there with the engine running and reading how to shut down the aircraft from a list.

Once they think that they have completed the list they get out and walk away.

The problem is that they have not checked that the list was done. It is entirely possible that they forgot to take the keys uot and the mags are still "live"!!!

In something like a C172, the shoutdown checklist could be;

1. Mags Off

2. Master Off

(Stands back and waits for the "You don't shut down the engine using the Mags")

I know that and by producing the above checklist I have not said how to shut the aircraft down....that is a procedure that should be learned. What the simple two point checklist above ensures is that the main killer items - the mags and master are off so you won't flatten the battery and have not left the mags on.

Looking at the Pre-landing checklist - what do you really need to check in a C172 other than that the fuel selector is on Both and everyone secure - therefore it is another 2 item checklist.

The flow that one does prior to joining final approach - Brakes, Carb Heat, Seats and Seatbelts etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc is something different and can have lots of items. But it is not a checklist - it is a procedure via which one configures the aircraft for final approach.

You could even add "touch-up the lippy in that little mirror" to the procedure but does that have to be in the checklist? Is it a killer item? What is the big problem if it is not done prior to landing?

Capt. Spock
21st Apr 2010, 05:48
Hey Flying Stone,

Here is some further insight! :ok:

How do you teach the use of checklist? (http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/396480-how-do-you-teach-use-checklist.html)