PDA

View Full Version : How tough is the MECIR?

rodrigues
19th Apr 2010, 01:47
Guys,

Contemplating completing my instrument rating immediately after my CPL next month.

How difficult is it? Would I be better of waiting, getting a few hundred hours more experience, and commencing it as a more experienced pilot? I appreciate that I won't be using it for a few years, and will need to worry about renewals etc.

Thanks in advance

rodrigues:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Apr 2010, 02:04
How difficult is it?

The most challenging flying you will have done to date - but eminently do-able!

You will get a variety of oppinions on whether to do it now or later, when you have more experience.

Personally I think that if your flying is at the stage where handling the aeroplane and the system is second nature to you - then you are probably ready for the MECIR.

Dr :8

Capt Fathom
19th Apr 2010, 03:01
do the renewals (don't let it lapse) even if you aren't actively IFR flying.

Now that could be challenging..... and expensive!

j3pipercub
19th Apr 2010, 03:08
Now that could be challenging..... and expensive!

Nah, as long as you hit the books about a fortnight before the renewal and make sure you slam flight sim for a few weeks as well.

j3

Peter Fanelli
19th Apr 2010, 03:14
Nah, as long as you hit the books about a fortnight before the renewal and make sure you slam flight sim for a few weeks as well.

God help us!

privateer01
19th Apr 2010, 03:33
Many places want 2 or more renewals....

The amout of renewals may count at a job application.

Go for it.

Old Akro
19th Apr 2010, 04:26
How about - Just difficult enough? Do you want it to be easy?

Single pilot IFR in a light twin is statistically one of the most dangerous things you can do. You need to be committed to being capable.

j3pipercub
19th Apr 2010, 04:32
Thanks Peter, but it worked for me, and I did 2 renewals that way...

Tmbstory
19th Apr 2010, 07:55
Old Akro:

I did not find that single pilot IFR in a twin was dangerous, at that time I was a proponent of the system and did my little bit to make it work.

Later on, I changed my view and favoured two pilot operations and enjoyed it just as much. I think that it depends on how much effort you put into your flying career, that counts.

Tmb

Old Akro
19th Apr 2010, 07:59
Tmb

I don't disagree with your points at all.

Statistically, single pilot ME IFR has one of if not the highest accident rate. But like all aviation, its about how you manage the risk. My point is that if you're looking for it to be easy, then you should question whether you have enough dedication to keep yourself competent & safe.

scardycap
19th Apr 2010, 08:57
The most likely scenario is that your in your first job wont be using your rating so wait until you get some hours under your belt.
You may be working for an organization that does charter and instruction so you could possibly do it with them and don't forget once working as a pilot you can claim the tax back
:)

ResumeOwnNav
19th Apr 2010, 09:27
don't forget once working as a pilot you can claim the tax back

Only if you then use your MECIR with the same employer.

Nav.

1a sound asleep
19th Apr 2010, 10:25
Its hard work but very rewarding. Be sure you know the plane back to front. IFR in an unfamilar plane just makes it uncomfortable.

More than anything a MECIR is a licence to learn. Respect it and your flying skills will grow with your hours

Peter Fanelli
19th Apr 2010, 11:26

Thanks Peter, but it worked for me, and I did 2 renewals that way...

I can just see the next accident news article.......
"sources (quoting pprune) reveal that it's common practice for pilots to prepare for flight checks using Flight Simulator, an entertainment program by ......"

Jerr
19th Apr 2010, 11:45
Hi

I finished my MECIR 3 weeks ago. It is really challenging, and I was working at the same time. I did the sim sessions 3 times a week with the instructor, and then flew twice a week in the later stages. This gave me time to think about what I was doing and to plan for the next flight. Other places suggest doing it fulltime ie in 4 weeks.

Using the Flight Sim on the computer was very very helpful. I would fly the next nav many times before actually flying the real nav, this really helped me.

I was lucky enough to have almost 100 hours twin time before doing the MECIR, this really helped. As others have said you need to know your plane! Particularly flying on one engine.

It also helps to feel very comfortable in CTA, which you should be with a CPL. When flying by hand, trying to keep up a scan, dealing with a simulated engine failure, the pressure mounts.

Good luck

JERR

Brian Abraham
19th Apr 2010, 14:24
Peter, there are programs available that can be a great help, in fact one of a 747 for example that some people flying that aircraft use to prep for a ride.

j3pipercub
19th Apr 2010, 15:23
Peter,

Was there any point to your posts, or do you just enjoy needling me?

j3

ZappBrannigan
19th Apr 2010, 20:01
Peter, I happen to agree with j3. Not that this should be the sole tool for maintaining IFR proficiency - but I frequently use X-Plane to practice approach procedures - and in my opinion it's a far, far better platform than the synthetic trainer at work, which CASA has seen fit to certify as approved equipment to maintain approach recency.

MS Flight Sim, X-Plane etc. are great when used properly, as procedure trainers. Nobody's suggesting they replace flying an aircraft - but none of the approved synthetic trainers do either.

I hammered all the approaches I was likely to get in my MECIR flight test, the week preceding the test, on X-Plane - and it helped immensely. The procedural side of flying under the IFR was very comfortable to me from all that practice - so all I had to worry about was actually flying the real thing accurately in IMC.

FGC
20th Apr 2010, 05:20
I used Jepps for my initial flight test when converting my foreign licence, no problem. I believe the majority of operators in Oz use Jepps. But I would recommend using the AIP charts for the written. The notes/exam questions all focus on the AIP charts.

Tmbstory
20th Apr 2010, 07:32
Old Akro:

Thanks for the reply, I do agree with your comments.

I found that it helped, if I used the system of being " my own instructor, sitting on my own shoulder" during my operations.

If you get the best possible ride, then all behind you, also get the best ride.

Regards

Tmb