PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Ash and Piston Engine Air Filters

Maoraigh1
17th Apr 2010, 21:06
Does anyone know how LyCon air filters compare with car filters as regards efficiency in stopping very small particles?
Does anyone have experience of the effect on engine life of low levels of ash?
I've read the USGS advice re cars etc.

411A
18th Apr 2010, 01:28
Don't know anything about LyCon air filters, however, I do know about another type...the Brackett Air Filter.
These are manufactured for a wide variety of general aviation airplanes, are made from two special types of foam and coated with a propriatory brand of rather thick oil.

VERY effective in keeping out even the smallest bit of ash, grit etc from your aircraft engine intake system.

Brackett Aero Filters | Home (http://www.brackettaerofilters.com/)

LeadSled
18th Apr 2010, 01:43
Folks,
The short answer is: Not well.

Dry paper and similar dry filter media stop large rocks and small babies, (figuratively speaking), the problem is they they have to physically block the particles, and the more efficient they are, the more the airflow is also blocked.

Some of you may know the "oiled paper/foam" type filters, ( K&N or similar) where the "sticky" oil holds a greater %, and smaller size of the grit in a (generally) synthetic paper/foam rubber primary filter. I have never seen this kind of filter with aviation approval.

Whether it is pumice, basaltic or other volcanic ejecta, they all make great grinding paste. I know, from fitting hot air filters, and oversized cold air filters to Ag. engines, what a difference it makes to engine life --- the barrels, pistons and rings --- and that was good old common or garden variety dust, benign compared to volcanic dust.

Few engines have hot air filters, so if carb anti-ice is required, you will probably be breathing unfiltered air.

Tootle pip!!

Maoraigh1
18th Apr 2010, 09:01
Thanks. When I said "LyCon" I meant the filters usually fitted to aircraft with these engines. Ours seems to have the oiled foam type. Maybe Bracket.