PDA

View Full Version : How to do full conversion of foreign PPL to FAA?

Air_King
18th Mar 2010, 08:16
Can someone please tell me the real process for getting my PPL (from philippines) converted to FAA PPL? i'm over here in asia, so its hard to get clear info, plus the country i'm in (Taiwan) doesnt have a FAA field office or even GA.

i know its pretty easy to get my PPL converted if i just want a license based on my current foreign license. but, that would also mean my FAA PPL would expire if/when my foreign license expires. but, i dont plan to keep my philippines license. i'd rather just get full conversion to FAA now and then just keep that after my current foreign license expires...

so, can someone tell me the real process for doing a full conversion of a foreign PPL to FAA PPL?

tks

S-Works
18th Mar 2010, 09:12
You take the FAA PPL written exam. Sufficient training with a CFI to be signed off for the test and then do a check ride with an examiner. All of your current training and hours are credited against the course and as you hold a PPL then you have met the minimum hours and just require the sign off and check ride.

Air_King
18th Mar 2010, 09:42
sorry, so i wasnt sure if u mean that the PPL written exam is required under normal circumstance but, since my PPL training and hours, etc., will be credited, meaning i only need the sign off and check ride...

assuming i do need the written PPL exam, are we talking the full exam? the one that PPL students starting off would need to write? could i even do that over here in Asia? and the check ride as well? or do i need to make a trip to the US for all of this (which is pretty far haha)?

S-Works
18th Mar 2010, 10:09
Yes, you need the full FAA PPL written exam. You would need to contact the FAA and see if there is an approved exam station in Asia near to you if you want to do it there. Again for the sign off you will need to find an FAA CFI and then for the checkride you will need an FAA DPE.

If you don't have access to at least an FAA CFI then you will not be able to keep the licence current as you need a BFR every 2 years.

I would suggest your best choice is to go to the USA if you don't have access to the Exams, a CFI and a DPE.

Why do you want an FAA licence if there is no GA where you are?

Air_King
18th Mar 2010, 10:42
well, cuz i cant fly here in taiwan so no matter what i always need to go to another country in asia to do some flying. so, have a US FAA license is much better for whatever country i'm going to be flying in. more widely accepted and easier to convert