PDA

View Full Version : 'Good Readable?

no sig
5th Mar 2010, 08:05
Do the RAF use a different r/t readability scale to that in civilian aviation? I often hear 'good readable' used rather than Strength 4 or 5, or is this just an old (but useful) hang over from another time?

PPRuNeUser0211
5th Mar 2010, 08:16
NoSig - A recent (very recent) change to our RT procedures has introduced readability 1/2/3/4/5 in line with civvy-land.

US Herk
5th Mar 2010, 11:26
Stateside used to be "5 by 5" which mean 5 Loud and 5 clear on a 1-5 scale - this is often abbreviated to "loud and clear" which I've heard shortened further to "Lima Charlie"

I've heard many variations on this basic theme such as, "weak but readable" and others.

I think the concept is universal....

BEagle
5th Mar 2010, 11:48
I've heard many variations on this basic theme

"Gotcha cloudy beer!"

"Copyin' ya wall to wall 'n tree top tall"

"Checkin' in at three five oh 'n lookin' for ride reports....."

Unfortunately the 'informal' quality of RT in the US does encourage such comedians.

And are they still bleating about their $odding rounders scores on 123.45?

MATELO
5th Mar 2010, 13:12
Do the RAF use a different r/t readability scale to that in civilian aviation? I often hear 'good readable' used rather than Strength 4 or 5, or is this just an old (but useful) hang over from another time?

The army use a slightly different version of r/t procedures which have been adopted by some of the RAF (90SU). Maybe this is where the "confusion" lies, maybe.

PTT
5th Mar 2010, 13:38
"loud and clear" which I've heard shortened further to "Lima Charlie"
I never really understood that as the former has 3 syllables and the latter "shortened" version has 4. Kind of like saying "double-you double-you double-you" instead of "world wide web".

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2010, 16:24
IIRC we used to use strength but given we didn't have a strength meter it was judged more meaningful to call it as it was - weak, readable - rather than 4 - 2 which would require a look up at either end to see which number was most appropriate.

I guess a numerical code might be easier for non-native English speakers to use.

Rotax
5th Mar 2010, 16:36
Surely it either "Loud and clear" or "Say again"

Nowthen
5th Mar 2010, 16:48
2 by 2

Too loud too often

lurkposition
5th Mar 2010, 17:15
after 35 glorious years on Hercules and Sea Kings, it is all "Say again"!:\

US Herk
5th Mar 2010, 17:19
I never really understood that as the former has 3 syllables and the latter "shortened" version has 4.
Because it sounds cooler! :}

vecvechookattack
5th Mar 2010, 17:30
after 35 glorious years on Hercules and Sea Kings, it is all "Say again"!

:D

Well said..... Much the same in the Lynx.... Its generally "What did he say"? "Did you hear that" ?
:ok:

Pontius Navigator
6th Mar 2010, 11:28
How about the dreaded "words twice" or "I read back"

We had the latter when we filed an airborne flight plan; never again!

PTT
6th Mar 2010, 12:47
Because it sounds cooler! :}
It really, really doesn't :hmm: