PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience, Volunteer Work...... Anything!!!

Jo nathan
24th Feb 2010, 04:32
Gday Everyone,

New to the forum so a hi to all.

Was hoping to get a little help.

Im in the final stages of finishing my CPL and ATPLs and there is nothing more i would rather like to do than have a chance to spend a couple of days with an airline or charter company.

Ive approached numerous organisations, but all have the same answer... a kind "no" as the liability is to much for them.

I am willing to do anything as long as i get to associate with real pilots and ground crew. I think the experience will be priceless..... ill even sweep hangers if i have to.

Am i asking too much??

Chadzat
24th Feb 2010, 06:30
Your location may help your cause.....

Jethro Gibbs
24th Feb 2010, 06:47
Don,t get sucked into this working for free that seems to be on the increase its just not worth it.
Just don,t :ok:

kalavo
24th Feb 2010, 08:16
Finish off your CPL (and if you still have to build up hours, make it a nav longer than 70nm, preferably go some where remote!)

Update your resume.

Spell it hangar, not hanger (or dust it rather than sweep it).

Pack up the car and head north.

Do not work for less than the award - offering to do work experience, or work for free will result in us saying No!!, kicking your arse out the door, shredding your resume and ensuring you don't get within 20 paces of the boss (though the current boss would do the same anyway).

...start work as a real pilot.

Learn from real pilots.

Your experience in GA will be priceless, and heck we'll even let you sweep the hangar!!

You might thinking hanging out with a charter company for two days will give you something extra to sell yourself at an interview for that first job, but seriously, you'll have learnt absolutely nothing. We'll either put you in a back room sorting out paperwork or maybe get you to weigh customer's bags and put said bags in the plane.

Charliethewonderdog
24th Feb 2010, 08:49
I am willing to do anything

.... and the cancer continues:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Jethro Gibbs
24th Feb 2010, 08:52
Come on people DON,T WORK FOR FREE OR FOR CHEAP RATES.:ugh:
You would be better off doing nothing.

tail wheel
24th Feb 2010, 10:22
..a kind "no" as the liability is to much for them

Exactly. You would not be covered by worker's compensation insurance and their liability in the event of your injury could run into millions of dollars.

Stick to your studies, son. Your time will come.

Major Neb
24th Feb 2010, 10:27
Why not look for other work (ie not pilot) but still with a company in the aviation industry?

Lots of different jobs in training airports and companies! Even working in admin or logistics for an aviation company will get you more kudos than selling your butt for free!

Just my 2c

eocvictim
24th Feb 2010, 10:42
If you want to hang around a real life pilot and willing to do anything, my car needs a clean? I'll even let you chat to me about flying. :ok:

Seriously though listen to the other guys, by cheapening yourself today you're reducing your own salary tomorrow.

xxgoldxx
24th Feb 2010, 11:15
Yes mate Im sorry, but now you have spent whatever you spent on your CPL you have now joined the holy grail of the professional pilot ranks...

Never again should you submit yourself to any sort of demeaning task..

Never again should you work any job for less than that of your local doctor or lawyer...

Your a PILOT now son..

show them your stripes and demand to be treated with respect...!!!

Hasherucf
24th Feb 2010, 11:24
Never again should you submit yourself to any sort of demeaning task..

HAHA yeah right

Never again should you work any job for less than that of your local doctor or lawyer...

ROFLMAO like your going to earn that much

show them your stripes and demand to be treated with respect...!!!

I am crying with laughter :{ !!!!!!

Jo nathan
24th Feb 2010, 11:27
Ok Ok relax boys.

Don’t worry fellas, I definitely don’t like working for free so I can assure you I am 'cancer' free.

But a little in depth information on my situation.

I live in Sydney

I’m 25 years old and have worked very hard to enter this career.

I go to a school where the average age for an instructor is 21yrs (im sure this is quite common).

Unfortunately the inexperience really does show but that’s what you get I suppose. There is only so much I can get from an individual that never worked outside a flying college and has just a little over a years experience over me.

I just think it would be wise to get some real advice on what is what. And what better way than to speak to people in the game first hand. Maybe a little motivation too.

See where im coming from??

Already with my experience now, if I were to start over again I would do things very differently. Not that it is negative, its just I want to make sure that things are done right the first time.

I like to think ive used my command hours wisely, ive already flown solo to Tassie, Melbourne, Adelaide and everywhere in between. Don’t know how much further you can push a 172.

I’m in this game for the long haul, so I want to cover everything... its the wise approach isnt it??

Thanks for all the comments and feel free to blast your opinions. (its constructive... I like it)

Cheers lads :ok:

xxgoldxx
24th Feb 2010, 11:34
"Dunno about you but anybody that carts my family around deserves no less"

I must admit I don't know the pay scale of a taxi or bus driver but.....

xxgoldxx
24th Feb 2010, 11:41
Must admit I do agree with that..!!

glenb
24th Feb 2010, 12:52
Jo Nathan,

Welcome to Pprune mate. I notice your a newcomer. You are probably reading these posts and perhaps taking it personally. Thinking that everyone is slamming you. Please, don't take it personally. Its because everyone has your interest at heart as well. Of course we are also thinking of ourselves, but that will in turn make it better for you newcomers. Its not directed towards you personally. Welcome to a dirty, tough industry that you really are going to look back on affectionately. We absolutely respect your enthusiasm, but research and make wise decisions. Cheers.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th Feb 2010, 10:04
Nah, take it personally. We all hate anybody with fewer hours than us (even if it's just 0.1 hrs) and we all hate anybody who hates us for having fewer hours than them (even it it's just 0.1 hrs).:}

FRQ CB

Howard Hughes
25th Feb 2010, 10:27
Grandma always used to say "start out as you intend to finish"!:ok:

The Green Goblin
25th Feb 2010, 11:18

Your a PILOT now son..

Yep, a Pilot flying a 210 in Halls Creek, lucky to pull 33k

WA Health are advertising for qualified contract doctors in Halls Creek for $15,000 per week, car, house and utilities paid.

Tell me again why I said no to a medical career?

Benjamin James
25th Feb 2010, 11:30
1 million p.a :eek:

:ugh:

pilot2684
25th Feb 2010, 17:05
Goblin, Because you said no to dealing with little old grannies all day long who complain about thier arthritis. You do it for the love of flying, not the money.

A pilot up here told me "You don't enter this industry for the money, This is GA, There is NO money in. Do it for the love of Flying, just don't get suckered in to doing it for nothing"

As for the Poster. Mate, it doesn't hurt you to try, I'm in the process of trying to find my first job, and I'm telling ya it is bloody hard. But when you do get that first job, its like a weight off your shoulders (I have yet to experience said feeling, thats just the advice from the pilots up here).

Don't give up. Thats my only advice to you. Don't Give Up, and Don't give in to the temptation to work for nothing. I know I'm not :)

The Green Goblin
25th Feb 2010, 23:57
Goblin, Because you said no to dealing with little old grannies all day long who complain about thier arthritis. You do it for the love of flying, not the money.

The love of flying does not put food on the table, pay $600 a week for an average unit in Darwin or leave a little left over to tuck away for a rainy day.

The love of flying may last till 1000 hours. You then need to see a return for your investment.

A pilot up here told me "You don't enter this industry for the money, This is GA, There is NO money in. Do it for the love of Flying, just don't get suckered in to doing it for nothing"

Wait until you're that pilot working max duty and some more, earning 30k in the sun, getting up at 4am every other day and not usually getting home till after 6pm!

Then we will see what you think about the love of flying!

I'm in the process of trying to find my first job

Haven't even logged a commercial hour yet.......:ugh:

But when you do get that first job, its like a weight off your shoulders (I have yet to experience said feeling, thats just the advice from the pilots up here).

Not really, it's just temporarily given a holiday. It comes back when it's time to get a multi engine job, then it comes back again when it's time to get a turbine job, again when you want to fly a jet, and even harder when you signed up to be a 777 cruise FO on <60k.

There is only so much love in flying till the bills need to be paid!

boardpig
26th Feb 2010, 00:27
Many folks have told me that the love of flying lasts about 6 months, then it becomes a job.
A job in which you are still getting paid less than the checkout girl at Coles. I love flying too, but would never want to rely on it to keep a roof and put food on the table.
Its an old discussion round pprune, but unfortunately its the pilots that have made the industry what it is today. The more folks willing to work for peanuts, the more operators willing to oblige. :ugh:

BP.

The Bunglerat
26th Feb 2010, 01:16
You don't enter this industry for the money, This is GA, There is NO money in. Do it for the love of Flying

As for me, I was only ever in it for the money - but seeing as there wasn't any in GA, and what I earn now isn't on par with what I'd expected to be earning, I guess I'll just have to find it within me to start doing it for the lurv... :p

pilot2684
26th Feb 2010, 03:01
The love of flying does not put food on the table, pay $600 a week for an average unit in Darwin or leave a little left over to tuck away for a rainy day.True, and for that reason I work up to 14 hours a day in the cab, working my ass off to pay for rent, food, and bills. And yet I'm still able to have a little "play money"

Haven't even logged a commercial hour yet.......http://2.1.1.4/www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gifAlthough I haven't logged a single Commercial Hour yet, I'm still working to get that first job. If it wasn't for the love, why do you think I'm still trying. :)

There is only so much love in flying till the bills need to be paid! Yeah and believe me when I say I, along with nearly every pilot up here, have first hand experience with how expensive life can be up here. And yes GA doesn't earn you anywhere near enough money. It barely pays for what bills you do get, but for a low time GA pilot the experience you gain is priceless nonetheless

Trent 972
26th Feb 2010, 05:13
Quote xxgoldxx

I must admit I don't know the pay scale of a taxi or bus driver but.....

More than a S/E GA pilot.
Sydney Motor Bus Driver Full time $ 755.05 per week plus allowances award (http://www.unitingresources.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/35716/Transport_Industry_Motor_B_D__and__C_State_Award_Wage_Schedu le_1_July_2009.pdf)
All you have to do is ring the employment phone number displayed on the back of the bus and you're in.

eocvictim
26th Feb 2010, 06:41
I know I'm fairly alone on this but I still love the flying. If I didn't I would quit and get a real job that pays real money. I wont be leaving GA anytime soon. I love my job and feel like I've missed out when I work less than 18 days a month.

I have to admit that its easier to enjoy now that I do earn more than enough to survive.

Good luck guys, just dont lose the love :} :ok:

onezeroonethree
26th Feb 2010, 06:49
Who wants to build a time machine with me and travel back to post WW2 and the live up the glory days of aviation?