PDA

View Full Version : TMG Instructors...anyone?

TommyOv
18th Feb 2010, 14:22
I think I may be setting myself up for a disappointment here, but here goes…

Does anyone know of a TMG instructor / examiner, preferably in the north? I ask as I fly the Vigilant (Grob 109b) at an Air Cadet VGS, and would like to count my experience towards a PPL(A) with TMG rating.

I’m aware that there are plenty of NPPL SLMG instructors out there, but if I can, I’d like to go for the full PPL because a) I will probably want to add some more ratings later on, and b) LASORS 2008 suggests that this route will take more of my hours into account.

As I say, I understand that TMG instructors are a little thin on the ground, but any info would be appreciated.

On a related note, I wonder if someone could please explain why there is such an apparent shortage of TMG types? Why can a lot of FIs instruct for NPPL SLMG, but not for a PPL TMG, even if it’s the same aircraft?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Whopity
18th Feb 2010, 22:40
When JAR-FCL 1 was introduced in 1999 the SLMG rating was going to be replaced by the TMG rating in the same way as the Group A rating was replaced by the SEP rating. As SLMG instructors were trained under the auspices of the BGA, it involved major changes in the way TMG instructors would have to be trained in order to comply with the new JAA requirements. An AIC was published in Oct 1996 detailing the changes, but the BGA simply ignored it. There was no approved training for motor glider instructors and following representations from the BGA, the SLMG rating remained as a National rating and the FIs followed the old BGA route. There was no crossover.

In order to teach on a TMG then you need to have qualified under the JAA system as a result of which there are very few TMG instructors.

Under EASA the whole issue will raise its head again and the BGA will have to move to approved instructor training by 2012.

Is Perth too far North? Di Heather Hayes may be able to help you.

joris
19th Feb 2010, 08:25
In the Netherlands there are a couple of schools doing that fully JAR compliant.
I have a UK JAR SEP and added a TMG rating flying a Super Dimona with a Dutch examiner (myself I am Belgian). Took the proficiency exam after 5 Hrs. Still it was tough I had 200Hrs in Hi Performance gliders and about 200 Hrs SEP time. Now I own a Taifun which is a great aircraft but not for TMG training.;-).

TommyOv
19th Feb 2010, 12:07
Thanks Whopity, that makes sense. Nothing quite like some aviation litigation to focus the mind on a Friday aft!

Perth's probably too far away, but I'm not ruling anything out.

Cheers,

Tom

Whopity
19th Feb 2010, 17:02
If its a UK PPL(A) with SLMG on it as opposed to a UK PPL(SLMG) you can apply for a TMG rating on the basis of 75 hours experience and a valid SLMG rating.

If you have a PPL(SLMG) then you need to obtain a JAA PPL before you can add the TMG rating.

blagger
19th Feb 2010, 17:41
I am a TMG FI(A) - (also a Vigilant A2 as well) - what exactly is it you want to do? Send me a PM with more detail if you want. Problems will be that training needs to be done through at least a Registered Facility, use of Air Cadet assets (which are there for cadet flying) for anything other than required SCT etc...

If you are just looking to get a PPL I would heartily recommend getting an NPPL based on the excellent VGS to NPPL cross credits and then upgrading that NPPL to a JAR-PPL with SEP later. Details on NPPL (http://www.nppl.uk.com) cross credits documents, summarised below -

The holder of the ATC Instructor's Qualification valid for the Vigilant Motor Glider who wishes to obtain
a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating shall:
a. Produce log book evidence of having satisfactorily completed flying training on single-engine
piston aeroplanes under the supervision of a FI(A), which must include
(1) Not less than 1 hour dual instruction in stall/spin awareness and avoidance;
(2) Not less than 1 hour dual instrument appreciation;
(3) Not less than 1 hour supervised solo flight;
(4) Not less than 4 hours navigation training or successful completion of the ‘Air Cadet
Vigilant Transit Qualification' training syllabus, including at least one solo cross-country
navigation exercise;
b. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examinations;
c. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;
d. Pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA.

TommyOv
19th Feb 2010, 23:18
blagger, check your PMs