PDA

View Full Version : Hand on thrust lever during (raw data) approach?

galleypower
14th Feb 2010, 14:16
Hi all, I know similiar issues have been discussed in this forum but they were mainly about the rotation or touchdown sequence.

When training pilots transitioning to a jet aircraft (no autothrottle), where would you teach them to have their hands? One on the trust lever or both on the yoke so that they are not constantly changing the thrust?

I personally would strongly vote for the latter, as it is easier to teach not too move the lever constantly than running the risk to get too close to stick shaker an Co....Appreciate your opinion.

Mach E Avelli
15th Feb 2010, 00:27
Unless in manual reversion or with a pitch jam or trim runaway of some sort, I have yet to come across a type that needed two hands for the stick. How hard is it to guard the throttles down final approach, then have hand in right place to pull it back to idle, then pull the reversers or pitch stops or whatever is needed once on the ground?
Two hands on the stick in the flare often results in over-control or prolonged hold off followed by a delay getting the reversers into play. In B737 when the speedbrake does not operate automatically, the two-hands-on-the-prong types seem to miss it every time. In training I require one hand on the throttles down final approach, as I want them to shut the throttles all the way to the idle stops, land, feel for the speed brake lever/switch then apply reverse. It's surprising how many pilots coming off turboprops don't get the throttles to the idle stops.
At the training stage it's my train-set so the trainee has no choice in the matter. What they revert to later is up to them, or their company SOP.

Bullethead
15th Feb 2010, 00:47
The mob I fly for requires one hand on the thrust levers any time the flaps are out of UP during an approach or whenever the autothrottle is commanding a large thrust change such as at TOPC level off.

I've seen an autothrottle, of it's own volition once, retard the thrust at a very inconvenient time, straight after takeoff at max AUW. Personally I keep one hairy mitt on the thrust levers as stated above and have always done so well before the requirement was published.

One hand on the control column is plenty and having a hand on the thrust levers during approach keeps you more in touch with what's going on and you are better able to respond if during a go-around the autothrust doesn't behave. I've seen that happen also.

Regards,
BH.

moonburn
15th Feb 2010, 17:02
Bullethead has hit the proverbial nail, hands on the throttles throughout the approach, together with control wheel inputs will give you a very good 'feel' for whats going on with your aeroplane ( Airbus excepted) If you take a look at accidents like Schipol you will see the results of not feeling what the aeroplane is doing and certainly in that case,not realising that the throttles have been closed for a long time and even return to closed if you try and apply power and then put both hands back on the wheel with the A/T still engaged! Its about situational awareness. Take advantage of all the feedback that your aeroplane can give you and perhaps you'll live long enough to pass on some advice of your own.
Safe flying, MB.

Tmbstory
15th Feb 2010, 17:51
galleypower:

One hand on the control column, one hand on the throttles / thrust reversers, is all that you need.

If a particular type demands a different procedure, it would show in the manuals.

Tmb

galleypower
15th Feb 2010, 18:48
Thanks for all your professional answers. Actually I did not expect anything else than the answers presented. But I needed confirmation. I've always had one hand at the thrust lever and the other at the yoke. It served me well. Even when flying approaches with extremely gusty winds.

DA-10mm
17th Feb 2010, 04:55
below 1000 AGL usually removes most problems/questions...