PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Instructor rating back?

overandout
11th Feb 2010, 17:20
Hi,
I did the course and got instructor rating on my PPL back in 1983!!
Instructed for a while on that.
Then on grandfather rights basis was issued with a BCPL and carried on with that.
Then let it lapse and did no more instructing after last renewal by the late and much lamented Hector Taylor in 1989.

Now 7000 hours later at around 250 hours pa in Cessna 172
My local airfield is desperate for some instructional help.

What would it take to get legal again?

Overandout

OpenCirrus619
11th Feb 2010, 17:38
I would call Carol Cooper at Andrewsfield. (http://www.andrewsfield.com/)

If Carol doesn't know then I would be suprised - she can also provide any retraining / exams / ... you might need.

OC619

Whopity
11th Feb 2010, 19:03
The first problem is that you cannot renew the FI rating unless you pass the CPL written examinations. LASORS H1.7. Unfortunately the rules changed after you let it lapse, had you not expired by more than 5 years, this would not be an issue. If you wait till after 2012 this problem may go away as EASA propose to allow instruction without CPL level knowledge.

Putting that issue to one side, you will have to attend a FI Seminar and do sufficient training with an FIC Instructor to pass the FI test.

Unfortunately Carol cannot provide the required exams!

Mickey Kaye
12th Feb 2010, 10:41
Whopity would it not be possible to get a BCPL renewed? I know someone who did this about 18 months ago and all it took was a SEP rating renewal.

Once you have that sorted would you not be able to add the FI rating to that. Once you've attended a seminar and passed a renewal flight with a FIE that is?

Whopity
13th Feb 2010, 07:42
I can find no information on the Re-issue of a BCPL(R), not even in CAP54. The general principal is that if a rating has expired by more than 5 years, it now no longer exists. The BCPL was only issued to allow a PPL holder to continue exercising the privileges of a rating that allowed aerial work therefore; the 5 year rule would apply to the licence as well as the rating.

This is in line with the statement in LASORS that if a FI rating has expired by more than 5 years; and the holder has not previously demonstrated CPL level knowledge, then they must do so before the rating can be renewed. This rule will only apply to FIs who previously held a PPL or BCPL(R).

A friend of mine who was the Ex boss of a UAS fell into this category, and couldn't get his FI back without taking the exams; he didn't bother.

When EASA-FCL is published and approved, assuming that the CPL knowledge requirement is no longer there, the the CAA could be asked for an exemption to start the ball rolling!

BillieBob
13th Feb 2010, 08:40
How about this from Article 89 of the ANO 2009?

82.—(1) The CAA must not grant—

(b) a United Kingdom Basic Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) to any person who was not on 30th June 2000 the holder of such a licence;

It's not clear whether overandout's BCPL was valid on the critical date but that would appear to be what dictates whether it can be re-issued or not.

overandout
13th Feb 2010, 08:48
Yes, It seems a pity now as to save a little intellectual effort I only did the ground school and written exams for the PPL I/R back in 1992. Precious little difference between those and the CPL exams I believe. But trying to persuade the CAA of that would be an uphill struggle.

I , an any case, will put the question to CAA/FCL and see what they say.

bigjok
13th Feb 2010, 13:56
I have some questions about getting an instructor"s rating on the basis of my current RAF qualification. My circumstances are unusual and I need to discuss the matter with FCL.
I have the postal address, but is there a telephone or e-mail address I can use to ask the questions?

BJ

Whopity
13th Feb 2010, 18:01
How about this from Article 89 of the ANO 2009?He clearly was the holder of such a licence; it does not say that it has to be valid. Art 89 was there to indicate that no new BCPLs could be issued except to existing holders.

LASORS D3 implies that an existing licence can be re-issued beyond 5 years simply by having a valid aircraft rating and medical however there is a 5 year limit on the FI rating.

It should still be possible to get the BCPL(R) reissued but that won't get the FI back and will die in 2012 anyway.