PDA

View Full Version : Which Way?

bugsmashergirl
11th Jan 2010, 06:26
Hey there

Im at the moment trying to decide which way to go with my training. Im currently considering doing my training towards my CPL with a GA based school. I dont have an issue with the school or GA in general, though I have been told that RAA is a cheaper option i.e. obtain my RAA pilot certificate and then convert to CPL via PPL, apparantly this can make it a fair bit cheaper and on the positive side if I want to "just go for a zip" I can do so.

So what do you think people?

Linda

eocvictim
11th Jan 2010, 07:06
I spent a few hours doing the maths on this for a friend; Long story short you will save $1000 approx and end up with less GA time. For PPL's I think its a fantastic cheaper option to cut your teeth and make a choice later but for CPL's it just doesn't add up.

bugsmashergirl
11th Jan 2010, 07:35
Thanks

I had sort of figured that may have been the case, but thanks for affirming my thoughts.

As Im only just starting out Im actually unsure if I will go through to CPL at the moment its just a plan to go that far, Im a photographer already with an Arts Degree so Im hoping that I can do both my photography work at the same time as my flying training and who knows one day maybe fly around the country doing superstars weddings!!!

Linda

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 07:45
I'd forget RAAus, they seem like a bunch of monkeys with nothing but a piece plastic for a license. Actually it's not even a license, it's only a "certification".

To put it seriously, RAAus = lack of knowledge & bad habits. It's not just the pilots and instructors either, it's the machinery and maintenance. It's piss poor to put it bluntly thats why their aircraft are regularly falling out of the sky.

But hey that's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.....

YPJT
11th Jan 2010, 07:59
hmmm, This is gonna be great!
Comfy chair, bottle of Jack, snacks. :cool:

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 08:15
I take it this has been beaten to death already then. Oh well, must be a trend for that form of aviation.

bugsmashergirl
11th Jan 2010, 08:19
Looks like Ive accidently opened a can of worms!

Well Im probaly going to the fly in at Temora so hopefully ill get to speak to a few people there.

Linda

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 08:34
Just be wary of the aircraft if you go for a fly....oh and the guys flying them.

I've never had any good experiences with them, had issues ranging from lack of radio calls, general procedures, circuit procedures, general airmanship etc.

But hey, you can't win 'em all.

PyroTek
11th Jan 2010, 08:46
I hear of a certain flying school that makes people with RAA certification still do the whole CASA PPL Syllabus.... Or maybe that's just another rumour...

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 08:52
That sounds like a bloody good idea! A lot of these back yard RAA instructors should take a leaf out of their book!

Having said that, the air show should be good, some very interesting aircraft there for sure.

MikeAlphaCharlie
11th Jan 2010, 08:52
Definately gonna be a fly on this wall!

bugsmashergirl
11th Jan 2010, 10:25
Well I did ask that of a school locally here but they said the hours count one for one but they do both GA and RAA so maybe thats the difference, as another school said we count 1 RAA hour as 0.5 GA hours.

Is anyone from here flying to the flyin? Id love to meet up if you are.

L

Jabawocky
11th Jan 2010, 10:32
I hear of a certain flying school that makes people with RAA certification still do the whole CASA PPL Syllabus.... Or maybe that's just another rumour...

Yep and its right on our doorstep too........... :ok:

j3pipercub
11th Jan 2010, 11:35
Where's that simonflyer bloke? Didn't he reckon RAA aircraft were harder to fly than warriors and 172's etc...

CaptCirrus
11th Jan 2010, 11:44
You've got to be kidding right?

eocvictim
11th Jan 2010, 12:10
I dont know if you could call it harder but a Jabiru is certainly a handful in marginal conditions. Very rarely would you go from full left to full right deflection in a warrior... every day ocourance in a Jabiru. Hard eh; scary... defintely!

More to do with being extremely unstable in wind because of their weight. I dont know how anyone navs in them, they're so cramped and you feel every bump. They'd be a total nightmare in summer!

sprocket check
11th Jan 2010, 16:18
Ahh, the RAA vs GA argument!

Where are all the usual suspects? I'm running out of chips and beer!!

Linda, it actually seems to do 99% with who the instructor is. I have had a RAA instructor with thousands of hours (and not just in the circuit) and a GA instructor that was, well, equally good.

The aircraft are definitely interesting - one could say RAA are closer to real flying - you do feel every bump and thermal and it does teach you respect mother nature.

Both RAA and GA fall out of the sky for (mostly) reasons of own stupidity. Darwin Awards applicable to both.

If I get let out of my cage I'll be at Temora, it's on the way to Corowa, how come gliders never get a mention?

sc

bugsmashergirl
12th Jan 2010, 15:21
I know this is a thread drift but a guy I know has just got his ppl - do you know how long the paperwork takes to come through from CASA - he wants to take me flying and I cant wait!!

L

b747heavy
12th Jan 2010, 16:03
Bugsmashergirl,

With reference to your last post, I can understand your enthusiasm in wanting to head to the sky with this fresh PPL'er, however, I would ask that you reconsider it carefully. Not knowing the person concerned once cannot judge the skills of this new pilot, but it has definite risk. Maybe a flight with a more seasoned pilot would provide you with a more informative flight, and your friend to fly solo and concentrate on what he has just been given the privilege to do?

Just a few thoughts from someone who has been there, done that and got the T-shirt...

Cheers,
Heavy :ok:

j3pipercub
12th Jan 2010, 19:47
74heavy,

Bit harsh considering you don't know the person. Would you have appreciated a stranger passing judgement on your skills when you were at that level?

Bugsmasher, unfortunately I have heard anything from 1 week to 6 weeks and longer. He should have a GFPT though, so there's always the training area$

j3

b747heavy
12th Jan 2010, 20:10
j3pipercub,

Firstly, this is aviation and the nature of this industry is that everyone (pilots or otherwise) passes judgement on your skills....from your first flight to your last....might as well get used to it now! :}

Secondly, I did make reference to the fact that not knowing the person, I cannot make judgement on his skills. I merely pointed out the fact that risk exists and wished to do nothing more than to plant the seed of though on the issue in the mind of Bugsmashergirl...:hmm:

Returning to beneath my rock now...:cool:

j3pipercub
12th Jan 2010, 20:45
Wow, this is aviation eh? Who do I see about getting my money back.

I understand that people pass judgement, however usually those people are involved in some way ie saw the landing, sitting in the back, as opposed to sitting at your computer making assumptions about a pilots ability and level of risk involved in flying with them. Greater risk driving to the airport!

j3

b747heavy
12th Jan 2010, 21:06
You are a smart one my friend....nothing gets past you i'm sure? :rolleyes:

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Jan 2010, 21:22
BSG, RAAus hours should count 1 for 1, It's in the CAR's, however only if you are doing the 200 hr CPL syllabus. (100 hrs solo vs 70hrs amongst other things - refer to the VFR day syllabus.)
If you are on the 150 hour CPL course, you can't use RAAus hours.

j3pipercub
12th Jan 2010, 23:02
Nah, actually 74, a lot gets past me, straight through to the keeper. That's said, I do know a tool when I encounter one.

j3

bugsmashergirl
13th Jan 2010, 01:03
Ive been to a few schools now and pretty much decided on going the GA ppl route with the thought of going CPL in the future - at the moment I just want to fly Ill worry about the working side of it later

Thanks Guys

superdimona
13th Jan 2010, 01:48
GA vs RAA debates are sooo 2009.

Besides, asking here is kind of like going to a Holden forum and asking if you should buy a Falcon or a Commodore :}

unairworthy
13th Jan 2010, 02:57
Besides, asking here is kind of like going to a Holden forum and asking if you should buy a Falcon or a Commodore

Quite the contrary really. One (the RAAUS certificate) is an inferior product if you are comparing it to the GA equivalent.

GA
Fly anywhere you want in almost any aircraft, at night, IFR, unlimited passengers to any airport at any altitude over water as required.

RAAUS
Plastic certificate (not a licence), 1 passenger, daylight hours only, weight limited (often severely), strictly VFR only, OCTA (without GA licence), operating under exemptions from the rules by a NFP organisation that could theoretically fold at any time and leave you in the lurch. Not to mention the mandatory membership fee of $165p/a plus initial aircraft rego of $220 and subsequent $110p/a.

It's more of a Moped versus Rolls Royce comparison really.

Howard Hughes
13th Jan 2010, 06:06
GA has good and bad instructors/schools and so does RAA, do your research!

Many of the RAA aircraft are newer and perform better than the aircraft which I learned to fly in 27 years ago! I personally see no problem with RAA provided you do your homework first!

When I get the chance (read money...) to do some private flying, I will definitely go the RAA route, there are some great recreational aircraft out there!:ok: