PDA

View Full Version : Good MOGAS sources

slippedthebonds
29th Dec 2009, 15:29
I've read the CAA Safety Leaflet on MOGAS, and this is allowed in our VW-derivative engine, and have noted the suggestion of a high turnover source if bought from forecourts.

Even thought price makes high turnover likely someone suggested to avoid UK supermarket sources because they tend to be more likely to have allowed additives eg alcohol and instead to choose branded sources. Texaco has been OK'd by one very experienced operator but what other brands do UK people use and find acceptable?

If I look for BS:7070 or EN228 on the pumps will that always be OK irrespective of brand?

Thanks
STB

Rainboe
29th Dec 2009, 15:49
We just go to Shell or BP for our Rotax. No need to even get Premium grade, just ordinary Mogas.

Are you concerned about static on refuelling the aircraft? Do you use plastic or metal jerrycans?

slippedthebonds
30th Dec 2009, 16:57
Haven't used cans yet, but the syndicate has both metal and plastic cans available but only has a plastic filtered funnel.

I'd be inclined to use metal if I can for obvious reasons as per CAA Safety Leaflet but can't see anywhere to buy a suitable metal funnel. Even LAS seems to stock plastic ones...! If you know of any all metal ones, shout up.

STB

Sir George Cayley
30th Dec 2009, 21:04
If 100LL was perfick then I'd admonish you. It (100LL) may be as it leaves the refinery (FAME excepted) but the conditions in which it is stored and delivered at your local field may or may not leave much to be desired.

If you use up the tank full of MOGAS regularly I'd not be too concerned so long as adequate checks for water are carried out before each flight and you have ensured that the fuel system delivering the liquor to the donkey does not decay as a result of exposure.

Dave Wise at the LAA was an authority on this.

Sir George Cayley

Rainboe
1st Jan 2010, 07:50
We fill up with what we need into jerrycans, then drive to the airfield and fill up. I have to say in all my aviation career with about 400 hours now in pistons, I have never found water in fuel. Maybe if a plane was left in cold conditions with repeated condensation inside the tanks it might happen, but I think modern fuel treatment and handling is so good would one be right to say it is not really a problem these days?