PDA

View Full Version : Air space infringements...check this out.

fisbangwollop
2nd Dec 2009, 12:57
This may be of interest to a few of you.:cool::cool:

AWARE - POWERED BY AIRBOX IN ASSOCIATION WITH NATS (http://www.airspaceaware.com/)

worrab
2nd Dec 2009, 13:52
ONLINE SHOP

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AWARE IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. ANY ORDERS TAKEN FROM THE WEBSITE WILL NOT BE CHARGED TO YOUR CARD UNTIL THE DEVICE IS COMPLETE AND READY FOR SALE. WE CURRENTLY EXPECT THIS TO BE FEBRUARY 2010.
Interesting price point though.

L'aviateur
2nd Dec 2009, 16:58
Looks to be good value, will wait for the reviews in February

modelman
2nd Dec 2009, 19:45
Don't understand:Buy the Airbox Clarity for £599 or the Aware with Nav for £249 which has Nav and CAS warnings for £350 less:confused:

MM

atceng
4th Dec 2009, 21:16
I really hope the Aware will be more easily readable than their web site.
The white on orange is bad enough but the order form of black on dark blue is unreadable on my PC .
Perhaps it's an artefact of my PC,anyone else find it difficult to read?

atceng

Fly-by-Wife
4th Dec 2009, 22:36
Agree with other posters - the site colour scheme is a dog's breakfast. There are many guides available to web designers to help with clarity and legibility - they seem to have all been ignored by whoever "designed" that website.

FBW

eharding
4th Dec 2009, 22:49
I really hope the Aware will be more easily readable than their web site.
The white on orange is bad enough but the order form of black on dark blue is unreadable on my PC .
Perhaps it's an artefact of my PC,anyone else find it difficult to read?

atceng

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't clicked through to the "Shop" part of things.

You're right.

That is not simply a Pants colour scheme, that is a Marks & Spencer Pants colour scheme.

I'm sure I heard my monitor give an audible 'twang' trying to render that CSS abomination into pixels.

atceng
5th Dec 2009, 00:25
This is a great idea with the automatic warnings,and would apparently give a 'radio altimeter' facility.
I remember that the early vehicle GPS had altitude readout,accurate to a few feet,but for some reason this is absent from present in car navaids.
The price is very good value compared with such as the Aera 500 at £619.95.
We can only expect that the Aware unit will be better than the website,but I will let you do the beta testing,I'll wait for the MK II .
Meanwhile I'll carry on sneaking the Garmin in car GPS into my headphone bag and hope the whizzwheel police don't catch me.

atceng

atceng
7th Dec 2009, 18:45
e-mailed Aware, got a reply that they have changed the website,amazing although connected to CAA they have done the sensible thing right away!

Also I have suggested they might consider putting a few beta test units out foc or/and a sale or return deal.

Don't hold your breath.

atceng

Be polluting your airspace tomorrow fis,wait for the RT dryup mid call.

fisbangwollop
7th Dec 2009, 19:45
Be polluting your airspace tomorrow fis,wait for the RT dryup mid call.

The R/T may dry up before it starts the way I feel right now...bit of a crisis day for me today :{....then again tomorrows another day so fingers crossed :cool:

sparky123
14th Dec 2009, 18:54
ATCENG

Where do you work? NATS? I might be looking for testers for this.

PM Me, or look up Hd of CNS/ATM R&D on NATSNet and email me.

Sparky123

clearfinalsno1
17th Jan 2010, 19:02
Sorry, am I missing something? £149 for a satnav sized moving map GPS with CAA charts and free updates - is this not the bargain of the century and about to shake up the pilot GPS market enormously? If so I can't believe you're not all talking about it.

I guess I better not post a link here. The product is called "aware" - see the article on pilot magazine's web page for the link.

clearfinalsno1
17th Jan 2010, 19:44
Looks like I spoke too soon! This evening their website is now down - presumable due to high traffic.

L'aviateur
17th Jan 2010, 20:07
It looks too good to be true, looking forward to seeing the reviews.

Mad Girl
18th Jan 2010, 06:04
I'm quite suprised it's not being discussed on here..

For those interested to know more from people who have recieved theirs this month try this thread. A number of people who have been involved in its development are also posting on the thread.

FLYER Forums • View topic - Anyone taken delivery of NATS AirspaceAware GPS? (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60458)

gpn01
18th Jan 2010, 13:43
If it included daily NOTAMs then it'd be really useful.

liam548
18th Jan 2010, 14:49
Am I right in thinking the Airbox clarity now has the same features as the NATS device, NOTAMS etc...

Can someone clarify the main differences.

lordhedges
18th Jan 2010, 16:32
check this comparison chart:

THE AWARE AIRSPACE ALERTING TOOL | AWARE (http://www.airspaceaware.com/aboutaware/)

scroll down about halfway

astir 8
19th Jan 2010, 09:35
How about a cut price Mode S next?

waveydavey
24th Jan 2010, 20:38
Am I missing something? £250 for a full nav GPS? A piece of aviation related hardware for a reasonable price... there must be a catch!

L'aviateur
24th Jan 2010, 21:14
The reviews posted on Flyer forum seem to be very complimentary, although the main negative seems to be the short battery life, even with the additional battery, but I believe that is something being worked on.

liam548
25th Jan 2010, 10:44
a gorilla or chimp power supply will sort the issues of battery life.

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2010, 11:20
A Power Gorilla costs as much as the GPS unit itself!

flybymike
25th Jan 2010, 11:47
A 12v 7ah Sealed lead acid battery will cost less than £20 and last for eons between charges...

waveydavey
5th Feb 2010, 23:36
Has anyone any experience of using memory map and a gps unit? Seems according to this (http://www.microlightforum.com/showthread.php?1511-Memory-Map-charts-on-a-cheap-widescreen-satnav) for the £150 cost of the basic airbox you can have the full nav capability with memory map?

liam548
6th Feb 2010, 01:23
Has anyone any experience of using memory map and a gps unit? Seems according to this (http://www.microlightforum.com/showthread.php?1511-Memory-Map-charts-on-a-cheap-widescreen-satnav) for the £150 cost of the basic airbox you can have the full nav capability with memory map?

didnt know about this, very interesting and cheap as chips.

dublinpilot
6th Feb 2010, 13:57
'Full Nav Capability' is somewhat limited on Memory Map, because the map is just an image. It knowing nothing of the airspace boundaries, or aiports etc, and relies on you to warn yourself, or plan yourself.

PocketFMS (http://www.pocketFMS.com) on the other hand can offer a solution for not much more that provides far more functionality than either unit (more functionality in fact than most systems out there).

For the £55 unit mentioned in the article, add a €150 subscription (appx £120) gives a total price of £170.

For this you have a fully fledged GPS system with full airspace warnings, full flight planning, weather systems (including rainfall radar), and world wide coverage.

This includes both the mobile version, and the full pc flight planning system.

For the sake of clarity, I should point out that I'm a Beta Tester for PocketFMS. I've no financial involvement...just a happy user that enjoys testing the software before it's released to the public ;)

dp

Miroku
6th Feb 2010, 14:20
Firstly, I am not a computer expert and I currently use a Pilot 3 device for navigation. Adequate but certainly not brilliant with such a small screen in black and white.

Am I correct in thinking that you buy the £55 device and then load the FMS data straight on to it? How easy is that?

On the face of it this sounds fantastic value. Any drawbacks?

dublinpilot
6th Feb 2010, 19:48
Hi Miroku,

I can't say that I've any experience with the particular device mentioned in that article. However the MyGuide 3100 is known to work with PocketFMS.

Looking at the instructions on that website, it would appear that PFMS is set up to work on it 'out of the box' so you wouldn't need to bother with any of those instructions. Just install PocketFMS on your PC, put your memory card into your computer and click the appropriate button in PocketFMS on your PC. This will set up your card, which you can then put into the MyGuide, and bob's your uncle! It should work as easy as that.

As I said I have no experience with that particular device, so no guarantees, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work that easy.

If you already have a car SatNav, you might not even need to purchase such a device! Many car satnav's can ready work with PocketFMS (or other such systems such as Memory Map and Sky Demon), provided they operate on the Windows CE operating systm. (Garmin and TomTom devices do not unfortunately). There is a 30 day free trial on the pocketFMS website to allow people try out the system.
Home of the PocketFMS Foundation. (http://www.pocketfms.com)

There are a couple of potential catches yes.
Firstly the price quoted is a subscription. It is paid yearly, not a once off payment.
In return you get all airspace, objects, airport info etc updated constantly. You can update it whenever you like during the year, which means that you're always up to date. (Unlike the systems based on paper chart, which are only updated when the chart is updated.)

You also get all programs updates during the year, which add new features. There tends to be 3 to 4 major updates during each year, adding significant new features to the system.

Weather and radar data is also included in the subscription, along with map updates, and worlwide data.

However one your subscription runs out, you need to resubscribe to continue using it.

There is an alternative where you can purchase the software outright, but it's a bit more expensive than I quoted above. Included in this purchase, you get six months updates, and after the six months you need to purchase any further updates.

Other potential gocha's are screen brightness. I have no idea about the device quoted but to me it's all about screen brightness. The brighter ones are so much better, as they are easier to read in sunlight. The good ones are really good, and the bad ones are a pain ;)

I use a Mio C320 which was about similar price to the one quoted, but has an excellent screen, so it's not all about price! Unfortunately it's not available new anymore.

There is a very active forum on the PocketFMS website where any questions you might have would no doubt be quickly answered ;)

dp