PDA

View Full Version : C of A requirements for an instructional flight..

Vone Rotate
26th Nov 2009, 16:57
Hi all,

Is anyone able to tell me what type of 'C of A' is required on an instructional flight.

Also with the new EASA rules is the original required to be carried on board the aircraft?

Thanks in advance....

Whopity
26th Nov 2009, 17:37
There is only one type of C of A now. You may like to read AIC 71/2009 (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/white/EG_Circ_2009_W_071_en.pdf) which will probably explain the maintenance requirements.

Read the C of A, it tells you that it must be carried in the aircraft on all flights!

Vone Rotate
26th Nov 2009, 18:04
So am I correct in saying the correct answer is a sole owned C of A?

Am I also correct in stating a 'c of a' is either issued as sole owned or group owned. I.e no more transport category etc etc

I have never been the best at interpreting legal jargon!!:ugh:

Whopity
27th Nov 2009, 22:29
A C of A is just that a Certificate of Airworthiness no more no less. How the aircraft can be used, is down to the maintenance. If its maintained to public transport standards and the documentation verifies that, it can be used for anything.

If money changes hands for the purpose of the flight, this is still regarded as public transport for airworthiness purposes, even if the flight itself is private. Therefore; if you hire an aircraft it needs to be maintained to those standards. The AIC details what you can do if the aircraft is not maintained to public transport standards i.e. pilot maintenance or in some cases items such as engines outside their manufacturers recommended life.

lady in red
29th Nov 2009, 17:58
The other thing you have to watch is the insurance as if the aircraft is privately owned there is a good chance that it is only insured for "private, pleasure and business" and not to cover an instructional flight or a test. This catches out many people as they may believe that because the pilot's warranty clause lists the named pilots and "any qualified flying instructor" that this implies instruction can be carried out. It does not! You have to get an endorsement from your broker to cover the USE of the aircraft before you can instruct or be instructed on it.

Vone Rotate
29th Nov 2009, 21:58
Thanks for your help Whopity and lady in red.

I was taking my FI test and wanted to check those points so I could give a confident answer if quizzed on that side of things.

I passed! Anyone need a part time FI? I'm good!!:ok: