PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS EASA fuel reserves

citadel
26th Nov 2009, 10:39
Can anyone definitively tell me about ETOPS fuel reserves from the Critical Point? Does a go-around and circuit still have to be considered at the Emergency Alternate? Many thanks in anticipation.

eckhard
26th Nov 2009, 12:10
Hi Citadel,

My understanding is that on reaching the ETOPS alternate, there must be sufficient fuel for 15 minutes holding at 1500ft, an IFR approach, go-around, visual circuit and landing.

Having scoured various sources, there is some ambiguity; but if you allowed for the above you would be on the safe side of the regulations.

To get to the ETOPS alternate, you must plan on adding 5% to the diversion fuel and allow for anti-icing. Here is one interpretation (generic) with my bold.

Regulations for ETOPS specify that, at the flight planning stage, in addition to normal fuel requirements, fuel must be available to permit a diversion to a suitable airfield. This Critical Fuel must include an allowance for holding and approach. Cases that must be considered are:

* Total pressurisation failure, followed by a two-engine diversion at 10,000 ft*.
* Engine failure and simultaneous pressurisation failure, followed by a single-engine diversion at 10,000 ft*.
* Engine failure, followed by drift down to stabilising altitude and a single-engine diversion.

The Flight Planning System must compare anticipated fuel on board and the critical fuel at each ETP to ensure compliance with the Critical Fuel Scenario requirements and add extra fuel as necessary. The critical fuel calculation includes allowances at each ETP for both engine and airframe icing, 15 minutes holding and 5% contingency.

Sorry it's not 'definitive' as you asked for, but I this helps,

Eckhard

citadel
26th Nov 2009, 12:42
Hi Eckhard

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, as you state the latest amendments this year seem to indicate a go-around and circuit don't need to be considered, though like you, I haven't found this everywhere. As you say, staying on the side of caution is the best bet.

Spooky 2
26th Nov 2009, 13:51
You may want to look at Advisory Circular AC120-42B. I know this is an FAA document but I believe it reflects the latest "industry" (ICAO/FAA/EASA) thoughts on ETOPS issues and it has eliminated the missed approach facet of the ETOPS Alternate.

FE Hoppy
26th Nov 2009, 16:56
http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/NPA/NPA%202008-01.pdf

In the NPA above the following is proposed:

Upon reaching the alternate hold at 1500 ft above field elevation for 15 minutes and then conduct an instrument approach and landing.

Replacing the previous requirement:

Upon approaching the ETOPS en-route alternate, descent to 457 m (1 500 feet) above destination, hold for 15 minutes, initiate an approach followed by a missed approach and then execute a normal approach and landing.

LeadSled
28th Nov 2009, 02:15
Folks,
Re. all of the above, I would suggest the (ICAO, most States) "fixed final reserve" is required, in addition to all of the above.
ie: You arrive at the emergency alternate with 15m holding, the approach allowance, plus fixed final reserve.
That the fixed final reserve is often expressed as "30m holding at 1500' " does not mean it is available holding fuel, just that amount of fuel to ensure the engines are still running at touchdown.
Tootle pip!!