PDA

View Full Version : Airbus320 Ram Air On At Fl150...

gearpins
25th Nov 2009, 15:38
Hello everyone,
Dual engine fail QRH proc requires us to select RAM air at FL150.
for Pack1+2 fail its at at FL100.
for Bleed 1+2 they don't talk about it
My understanding is that ventilation is required in all three cases..
So why the difference?
Its not a life or death situation......yet
was wondering if someone can help me here..:confused:

gearpins
26th Nov 2009, 06:33
Am I missing something obvious?:ugh:
appreciate any help on this topic thanks

Microburst2002
26th Nov 2009, 07:31
I can't see a reason yet for the different FL to open it between dual eng fail and dual pack fault. Maybe because in the dual eng fail you are going to land very soon wether you like it or not, while in the bleed fault you are not in such a hurry. Just a guess.

As for the double bleed fault, I also noted time ago that there is no ecam actions regarding the emergency ram air inlet. I don't have here the FCOMs but I guess that if there is no bleed source available, neither eng nor APU, the pack fault ecam will be also be triggered, with the corresponding ecam actions.

rudderrudderrat
26th Nov 2009, 09:02
Hi Gearpins,

The QRH for Dual Engine failure recommends flying at speeds which seem closer to green dot for maximum glide angle rather than for a high ROD at higher speeds. You are not attempting to get down to 10,000 feet rapidly - but to give yourself more time to resove the problem. I guess once you have lost all cabin differential pressure, then the RAM air can be opened and would aid cabin ventilation and FL150 was considered to be a good compromise.

gearpins
26th Nov 2009, 11:47
A few of us were trying to figure it out and your inputs are of great help
thanks.
cheers:)

gearpins
28th Nov 2009, 12:47
Could it be that ventilation is the priority for Smoke removal
And depressurisation the priority for Dual engine failure.
And hence the difference?:ugh: