PDA

View Full Version : Misbehaving mouse pointer W7

Maxbert
25th Nov 2009, 15:11
Once again I call upon the great PPRuNe hive mind for assistance with a little niggle...

I recently installed W7 (free upgrade from manufacturer as I purchased laptop at the end of August)- It came on a series of discs and everything works as advertised except...

As I move the mouse pointer with the touch pad, it buts up against the top, bottom and right of the screen as it should. A flick in the opposite direction instantly restores it. However, if I scroll towards the left, the cursor will vanish. If I continue scrolling (10 times, say) I will then need to scroll the same number of times to the right to get the damn thing back on the screen- This had baffled me until I figured out what was going on, but I am now baffled by the cause :confused:

I did have Pinnacle Studio 10 installed pre-upgrade, but this needs to be reinstalled after the W7 upgrade- This offers dual screen capability, could the problem be there?

I tried fiddling with the mouse pointer settings in the CP but had no joy... I also had an alert as to which screen (I only have one!) I wanted to use, but I have not been able to call this screen up again.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Maxbert

Keef
25th Nov 2009, 19:04
It does sound as if your PC thinks you have two screens, and the mouse is wandering off onto the other one.

Try right-clicking on the desktop, then on "Screen Resolution" to see if there's anything there that says anything useful.

TheOptimist
25th Nov 2009, 19:17
Specifically;

- Control panel
- Display
- 'Settings' tab
- See whether there is a box which says 'extend my windows desktop onto this moniter'
- Uncheck that box if it is checked.

Does that help?

Maxbert
26th Nov 2009, 09:17
TheOptimist- That's done it :ok:

Thanks to both (although W7 does make the CP choices harder to find / identify), got there in the end!

Maxbert