PDA

View Full Version : Ferry fligt from West Coast US to Indonesia

DBCNM
21st Nov 2009, 21:25
I may have an opportunity to ferry a F27 from the US to Indonesia in the coming weeks, don't have many details myself, but I am interested in knowing what route options are available for a trans-Pacific flight. Unlikely to have ferry tanks, so would be limited to the 800nm range of the F27.

Just looking for general information/options and if anyone has had experience with this crossing I would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks!

Checkboard
21st Nov 2009, 21:35
There's a thread running in the Dunnunda forum about ferrying a DA40 (single engine piston) which may help.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/396545-ferrying-plane-usa-sydney-any-tips.html

MarkerInbound
22nd Nov 2009, 04:03
800nm? Have you looked at a map of the Pacific ocean?

Capt Fathom
22nd Nov 2009, 04:37
A few gaps out there! (http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=klax-phto-pkmj-wabb%0D%0A&RANGE=800%40klax%2C+800%40phto%2C+800%40pkmj%2C+800%40wabb%0 D%0A&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=nm&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=220&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=)

With that range, you are stuck with going via Europe-Middle East, or Anchorage-Russia-Japan-Philippines

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=klax-phto-pkmj-wabb&RANGE=800%40klax,800%40phto,800%40pkmj,800%40wabb&PATH-COLOR=red&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy

411A
22nd Nov 2009, 04:41
Been done before, MarkerInbound, via the northern route.
Dicey...but can be done.
Fairly easy to fit a ferry tank into an F.27, however.

captjns
22nd Nov 2009, 10:38
Northern routes... landing and overflight permits... either contract fuel or company credit card... flight planning company to arrange legal representatives... not problemo.

GotTheTshirt
22nd Nov 2009, 18:07
Been done before, MarkerInbound, via the northern route.
Dicey...but can be done

411A I thought "Dicey" was just for the cowboys !!:}

Ah Arizona now I see:)

DBCNM
22nd Nov 2009, 19:20
Thanks to everyone with good advice and to others with astute observations. I've been looking at route options on my own and think the ferry tanks would be the best way to go as well.

Has anyone had experience with the Alaska-Russia-Japan route at this time of year?

Thanks.

Pugilistic Animus
24th Nov 2009, 00:18
if possible it's best to try and avoid the Kiribati:eek: region and due to political unrest fiji---also many Island allow only day VFR approaches and fuel may not be available also check each possible stop to ascertain if PPR is necessary---seem best to employ some type of experienced dispatch service though:\

PA

LeadSled
25th Nov 2009, 11:58
DBCNM,
Without ferry tanks, you are not going down the central Pacific.
During northern winter, I would suggest the range you have is very marginal to go around the north.
I commend to you a very close study of the weather in the northern Pacific (even in "summer"), I think you will suddenly find ferry tanks a good idea. Even your range quoted is a bit marginal for north Atlantic winter weather.
Tootle pip!!

DBCNM
27th Nov 2009, 03:20
I agree, the ferry tanks look like a must. I'm not the one in control of the operation but I want to get as much information as I can to put in my two cents if given the chance to go. Looking at the northern route I would need to go 900nm at some points and that does not appeal, especially at this time of year. Thanks for all of the input, and the Great Circle Map link was terrific!

DB