PDA

View Full Version : UK BCPL (Restricted)

Talkdownman
21st Nov 2009, 07:21
I am one of that small group of FIs who instruct on a BCPL (Restricted).
I would, therefore, like to know what the plan is for the BCPL (Restricted) under EASA.

BEagle
21st Nov 2009, 08:14
The current plan is for all national licences to disappear.....purely for reasons of €urocratic convenience.

They might be ever so very generous and give you an EASA PPL(A) though. But watch this space - rumours reaching me suggest that the current requirement for JAR-FCL PPL / FIs to have passed the CPL exams will not be removed under EASA, despite the proposals of NPA17b.

Whopity
21st Nov 2009, 11:33
As Beagle said your BCPL(R) will cease to exist. You will be able to get a JAR-FCL PPL and continue instructing on the basis of Grandfather Rights as they can't take away you privileges. In reality, you will be in exactly the same position as FI(H)s who operate on a PPL. There are currently more of them than BCPL(R) holders.

Mickey Kaye
21st Nov 2009, 15:09
I'm a BCPL FI and quite proud of it to. Any idea over what time period we are talking about?

Whopity
22nd Nov 2009, 08:07
March 2012 marks the end of the transition to EASA FCL however; in view of the ensuing mess that has followed the NPA which attracted 11,000 plus objections, it could well move to the right by a year or so. Additionally the proposed requirements could change.

Looking at your age I would guess you are a BCPL FI not a BCPL(R)FI; in which case you should take up the opportunity to change to a JAA CPL(R).LASORS D2 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20D%20-%20COMMERCIAL%20PILOT%20LICENCE.pdf) You must have the necessary experience to remove the restriction straight away. The opportunity won't be there for ever! LASORS is already hopelessly out of date; the AIC detailing it has gone so it might not be there in the next LASORS if there ever is one!

Talkdownman
22nd Nov 2009, 13:39
I hold a BCPL(A) (Restricted) with FI rating and have done so for 21 years.
I can find no reference to BCPL(A) (Restricted) in LASORS. I fear that this may be in the 'too difficult category' for the authorities involved and am therefore concerned that hard-earned privileges will be lost and the licence revoked, thus affecting income.

S-Works
22nd Nov 2009, 14:32
It is highly likely to be revoked. However under the current NPA the replacement is for you to be a paid PPL FI. So nothing really lost?

I am curious what the hard earned privileges are? It was my understanding that the BCPL was introduced to ensure you did not loose the income from being a paid PPL FI the last time the pot was stirred?

Whopity
22nd Nov 2009, 16:32
Talkdownman, my comment was directed at Mickey Kaye who does not appear old enough to have a Restricted BCPL which were all issued around 21 years ago.

I can find no reference to BCPL(A) (Restricted) in LASORSThats because it has not been issued for 21 years and most people in the CAA can't even remember it. About 18 months ago there were only 134 left.
As bose-x said the licence will most probably be revoked under EASA but you will retain the privileges if you get a JAA PPL. I doubt they will give you one like they did the BCPL(R)

Talkdownman
22nd Nov 2009, 17:57
Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for your kind responses.

However under the current NPA the replacement is for you to be a paid PPL FI
PPL, plus FI, plus remuneration, once again? Could you provide a link, please?

I am curious what the hard earned privileges are?
I considered, clearly erroneously, an FI rating to be hard earned! AFAIK they were never merely just given away like the BCPL(A) Restricted. ISTR that a modicum of hard work was required in order to gain the privilege of being able to teach people to fly....

BillieBob
22nd Nov 2009, 21:18
I considered, clearly erroneously, an FI rating to be hard earned!But your question was not about the FI rating, it was about the restricted BCPL(A), which was not 'hard earned', it was given away. Whatever happens to the restricted BCPL(A) under EASA, your 'hard-earned' FI rating will not be affected.

Any rumours about what may or may not happen under EASA are just that - rumours. There is certainly nothing in writing to suggest that FIs holding PPLs may be remunerated, quite the reverse. However, this does not mean that it will not happen, just that nothing has yet been decided (officially).

BEagle
22nd Nov 2009, 22:34
There is certainly nothing in writing to suggest that FIs holding PPLs may be remunerated, quite the reverse.

See NPA17b:

FCL.205.A PPL(A) Privileges

(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as pilot in command or copilot of aeroplanes engaged in noncommercial operations.

(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) may receive remuneration for the provision of flight instruction for the LPL(A) or the PPL(A).

This does, of course, mean that the PPL(A) holder providing such instruction must hold the appropriate EASA instructor 'certificate' :yuk: .

BillieBob
23rd Nov 2009, 15:42
The point being that since EASA's comprehensive slapping down by the EC, NPAs 17 and 22 are virtually worthless. Until we get to see the new versions next year it is impossible to say what will or will not be in them. I have even heard murmurings from FCL008 that there is a move afoot to re-institute the requirement for FIs to hold a CPL. That is not to say that it will happen, just that we don't know.

S-Works
23rd Nov 2009, 18:07
Any rumours from FCL008 about FI's needing a CPL or otherwise is purely rumour as that was not the purpose of FCL008.....

BEagle
23rd Nov 2009, 19:15
The rumour comes from another source - I've heard that there have been a significant numbers of objections from some non-UK nations......

EASA - what an utter cake-and-eARSEa party!