PDA

View Full Version : Signing a logbook

ClintonBaptiste
15th Nov 2009, 14:34
Just a quick query if anyone has the answer, please? I asked the CAA, but they haven't responded as yet (they're probably waiting for a debit card number)

I am an FI working in Spain, a student with a uk ppl and 200 hours is doing some hours at the school, 10 hours glass cockpit and 10 in the seneca to practice some IFR, before he goes to do his CPL/IR in a non JAA country. The student in question is wanting me to sign his logbook with my licence number to prove that he has flown these hours. Surely a stamp on his logbook from the school would suffice. The only reason I ask is because I previously had an issue with the CAA over an examiner signing my licence and logbook (which they were none too happy about) and do not want a call from them over this matter.

Many thanks in advance

Clinton Baptiste

mad_jock
15th Nov 2009, 15:15
Just sign it to keep them happy.

It means not a jot in the grand scale of things with the UK CAA but may with the none JAA country.

ab33t
15th Nov 2009, 17:38
Who cares as long as you have legaly given the training .

ClintonBaptiste
15th Nov 2009, 18:18
thanks for the info, the only reason I ask is because I once had a problem with the CAA regarding an examiner that had signed my licence. Plus the student in question seems a little dodgy, he has 200 odd hours yet has no headset and a complete lack of knowledge.

mad_jock
15th Nov 2009, 18:40
If he was my student in the UK he would be having a chat with Special Branch.

Get a photo copy of his log book you never know this chap might appear on the scene again in years to come.

Go with your gut feeling if it feels dodgy tell him to stuff it.

You could always photocopy his log book and say that the UK CAA have requested it faxed over. If he won't give it to you refuse point blank to sign anything to do with his training.

S-Works
15th Nov 2009, 19:41
he has 200 odd hours yet has no headset and a complete lack of knowledge.

Bloody hell, we have a pilot works for us with 5,000 hours and he does not own a headset either. Can the student fly? Has he the correct paperwork? other than that sign the logbook and let it go.

Honestly what is the world coming to......

Whopity
16th Nov 2009, 18:46
A Flying Log Book is a Personal Document and so long as the owner agrees you can put anything you want into it provided it is not fraudulent. It has nothing to do with the CAA! The CAA actually produce stickers so that FIs can sign up a pilot for differences training; get them to send you a sheet of them.

CirrusF
16th Nov 2009, 19:36
I have a stamp with my name and instructor number which I use to stamp (and sign) students' logbooks for this purpose.

FlyingOfficerKite
17th Nov 2009, 23:25
mad_jock - a fair point. Without wanting to be alarmist you never know?

bose-x - what is the World coming to indeed. The key is to check he has the correct paperwork and the hours and licence details seem believeable. If in doubt ask some questions about the flying/airports/aircraft and see if it all stacks up (as far as you can).

ClintonBaptiste - does he fly and has he got the knowledge you would expect by reference to his logbook? Who has signed the logbook before? Are the neceesary signatures there? Licences are easy to copy - do the sheets look genuine?

I wonder why he wants 'glass cockpit' experience before he's got a CPL/IR. You'd think there were a lot of other more relevant exercises to do that would be beneficial at that stage of training?

See if he wants you to teach him how to land the Seneca?!

Which non-JAA country - and why if his PPL is JAA?

As Posted above, probably nothing ...

KR

FOK

PS: Oh! in answer to your question - yes sign and date the logbook with your licence number

homeguard
20th Nov 2009, 08:56
You can only know what you have done with him flying wise. Simply sign off the entries that you know are correct.

Unless you are the CFI or Head of Training and certifying the completion of a recognised course you do not have a function to sign off his logbook.

He has the option, if he cannot otherwise prove his previous entries, of swearing an affidavit with a notary and possibly go to prison if he lies. Other than that the CAA will decide whether to believe his other hours - that is their function not yours. As whopity has said he can write anything he likes in his own personal logbook and it is not for you to be the judge.

Whopity
20th Nov 2009, 09:06
Unless you are the CFI or Head of Training and certifying the completion of a recognised course you do not have a function to sign off his logbook.But there are no such people within the definition of a RF therefore, they could be anybody!