PDA

View Full Version : Who was the first CFI in the USA and who taught him to fly?

protectthehornet
15th Nov 2009, 02:34
hint: a fine actor as well as a pilot

Dudley Henriques
15th Nov 2009, 02:45
If it's who I think you mean, I knew him fairly well. Met him at the old Flying W Ranch in New Jersey when I was an instructor there. He flew in in a beautiful D18 Beech and we sold him an Aztec. He took us all to the Valley Forge Music Fair where I got to share a mid-show hot dog with Juliet Prowse.......one fine lady!
If I'm right, you mean Bob Cummings. If I'm wrong, (I think Bob said he had the #1 certificate) hope you enjoyed the story :-))
Dudley Henriques

stepwilk
15th Nov 2009, 02:56
Dudley, did you know Bob Weimer? Used to film out of the B-25 at Flying W. (You and I are the same age, and I'm up in the Hudson River Valley.)

protectthehornet
15th Nov 2009, 03:00
You are right. Bob Cummings...fine actor and indeed the number one flight instructor. Prior to that time, anyone with a pilots license could teach. First CFI ticket!

But the second part of the question was...who taught him to fly?

It was Orville Wright...bob cummings Godfather!!!! amazing huh?

I envy that you met him...you probably shook his hand and he probably shook Orville's hand! Indeed, Bob was alive when Wilbur Wright was alive too (for about two years anyway).

Good for you and thanks for the story!

jon

cfiimeiatpmel

Dudley Henriques
15th Nov 2009, 20:53
Dudley, did you know Bob Weimer? Used to film out of the B-25 at Flying W. (You and I are the same age, and I'm up in the Hudson River Valley.)

Don't recall the name. Bill Whitesell owned the place when I was there. It was during the time when Milo Ticheck put the Stearman into the woods in back of the horse trail.
We had quite a time in that swimming pool, and the restraunt wasn't all that bad either.
Don't know what ever happend to Whitesell. He was ex- Eastern Airlines with a physical out if I recall. Another airline type, Fred Tonyas moved into Bill's house after he left.
Haven't been over there in years :-)
Dudley Henriques

stepwilk
15th Nov 2009, 21:25
Yup, I remember Bill Whitesell's name.

Dudley Henriques
15th Nov 2009, 21:34
Jon;

Please forgive my posting an off topic question in the middle of a thread but I need an answer to a forum question and can't seem to find where to post it.
I'd like to use the threaded mode to watch a thread but can't get past that first "posts below this level" line. WhenI click it it kicks me back to the first post on the thread.
Can you help answer this question for me, or are the first five posts all that can be seen in thread mode?
If I can take this question somewhere else, please advise.
Many thanks?

protectthehornet
15th Nov 2009, 21:40
dudley

sadly, I don't know how to use the threaded mode or any other mode....I guess I am lucky to just keep her straight and level...leaving the fancy stuff to someone else.

nice hearing the robert cummings story from you.

Dudley Henriques
15th Nov 2009, 21:52

I see we are two lost souls in the mist here. I understand.
Thanks anyway,
:-))
DH